Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Workman SWR-2T problem

Old 04-07-2014, 10:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Workman SWR-2T problem

I have just completed the install of my Cobra 75 WX ST, bought a Workman SWR-2T in order to check the antenna tuning. I have followed all the instructions provided by workman and looked at a video on You-Tube describing the process. According to the instructions with the switch in the FWD position and transmitting you first need to set the meter, I the video it looks extremely easy however the needle on my meter does not move at all no matter what I do. Has anyone using this meter had that happen, is the meter defective.

Very frustrated!!!
Old 04-07-2014, 10:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The following assumes that your SWR meter has a standard set of switches, knobs and meters. That is, there will be at least one switch with the marking Forward (FWD or CAL) in one position and Reference (REF or SWR) in the other. There will also be a knob or sliding controller marked "Set" or "Adjust". Most meters come with full instructions. If the common configuration does not match your meter you will need to rely on the meters manual for assistance.

With the radio on the channel one and the SWR meters switch in the Forward (FWD) position, depress the transmit switch (key up) located on the microphone. While holding the unit in this transmit mode, adjust the meter needle to the SET or CAL position using the Set or Adjust knob on the meter. As soon as the needle is in alignment with the corresponding mark on the meter face, flip the switch to the Reference (REF) position. The meter is now showing your SWR on channel one. Note the value and quickly release the microphone switch. Record this reading on your paper to the nearest 1/10th. i.e. 1.8, 2.3, 2.7, 1.4, etc.

Finally, place your radio on the highest number channel (40 on CB). Place the meter switch in the Forward (FWD or CAL) position, depress the microphone switch and adjust the meter to place the needle on the SET or CAL position of the meter face. Once in the SET (Cal) position, place the meter switch in the Reference (REF or SWR) position and note the reading. Release the microphone switch and write this value down to the nearest tenth of a point.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply, I got the instructions and again it is fairly easy, thinking that the meter might be bad I did a Google search, quickly found an article that describes how to to if a meter is defective. The writer said that a bad meter will do one of two things. My issue was the first one he listed, meter is dead a a door nail, needle never moves ever no matter you do,this is my issue. I get nothing!!! Will be taking to a local shop and having the whole system checked.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:03 AM
JK Junkie

I used to live in Margate years ago....the go to CB shop was Bell's over in Oakland Park. Not sure if they are still around but worth a shot.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks,I already have a guy in. Plantation
Old 04-07-2014, 11:12 AM
JK Junkie

Right on...good luck with the radio

Quick Reply: Workman SWR-2T problem