Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Yaesu FTM-400DR Install

Old 08-09-2015, 01:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yaesu FTM-400DR Install

Well, I finally earned my Tech HAM license and decided a good mobile unit was in order. Couldn't resist the Yaesu for the bigger display and features that should keep it current for several years.

JK's are not known for their room and trying to fit a CB and HAM in the cabin without hurting your knees is a challenge. I ran across a pre-made under seat mount that made things easy. I decided the only place left for the antenna was a hood mount and that is where my Diamond 2m/70cm antenna is (thanks MrKenmore for your ideas). I used the rubber plug by the brake booster to run the power (ran to the sPod) and antenna cable. As you can see, I had to loop the coax a bit. The jury is still out if I am going to cut it or not. Managed to re-use the stock connector mount for the seat wiring also! I ran the control cable up along the left side of the HVAC and Radio to the dash tray. I ran the mic cable around the center console. Made a prototype mount for the head unit that uses the dash mount screw in the tray. So far, So good. Whatchathink?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03807.JPG
Views:	4831
Size:	2.66 MB
ID:	620924   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03809.JPG
Views:	7037
Size:	2.67 MB
ID:	620925   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03812.JPG
Views:	8546
Size:	2.63 MB
ID:	620926   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03813.JPG
Views:	5178
Size:	2.61 MB
ID:	620927  
Old 08-09-2015, 02:05 PM
JK Newbie

Awesome !
Old 08-09-2015, 02:11 PM
JK Newbie

I thought it fortunate I was able to save the factory connector mount for the hard plate. The connector won't rattle! All the holes except the radio mount to plate are threaded. The cable wrap anchors are 8X32 threaded and work well.
Old 08-09-2015, 03:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Excellent

Solid install ! Where did you find the under seat install plate? I have been looking for something like that for years.
Well Done !

73 - W6PBR
Old 08-09-2015, 05:06 PM
JK Newbie

I found the undersea plate on Ebay. Sold by Jeepedjeep. He is on Wrangler forums but cannot sell from there. 30 sumptin dollars and shipping....Well worth the time....
Old 08-10-2015, 06:57 AM
JK Newbie

Several folks wanted info on the underseat tray so here is the ebay link:
Jeep Wrangler JK JKU Under Seat Bracket with Mounting Options | eBay
Old 08-20-2015, 06:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Awesome install man! Wonder if you could install two radios side by side on that plate.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:34 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Skippman
Awesome install man! Wonder if you could install two radios side by side on that plate.
As small as these units are, I could get FOUR on that plate...
Old 04-09-2020, 12:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by LHC30
Well, I finally earned my Tech HAM license and decided a good mobile unit was in order. Couldn't resist the Yaesu for the bigger display and features that should keep it current for several years.

JK's are not known for their room and trying to fit a CB and HAM in the cabin without hurting your knees is a challenge. I ran across a pre-made under seat mount that made things easy. I decided the only place left for the antenna was a hood mount and that is where my Diamond 2m/70cm antenna is (thanks MrKenmore for your ideas). I used the rubber plug by the brake booster to run the power (ran to the sPod) and antenna cable. As you can see, I had to loop the coax a bit. The jury is still out if I am going to cut it or not. Managed to re-use the stock connector mount for the seat wiring also! I ran the control cable up along the left side of the HVAC and Radio to the dash tray. I ran the mic cable around the center console. Made a prototype mount for the head unit that uses the dash mount screw in the tray. So far, So good. Whatchathink?

Where did you buy the pan under the seat?

Quick Reply: Yaesu FTM-400DR Install