Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

08 JK Rubi - Jeep thinks key still in ignition, remote start not working

Old 08-26-2014, 03:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 JK Rubi - Jeep thinks key still in ignition, remote start not working

recently, my jeep started doing a couple of weird things....

From my FOB, I can unlock and lock the doors, but if I hit remote start (2x), it attempts to lock doors, marker lights flash 1x, and nothing else (I have the horn turned off)

If I open the driver's door, the chime dings like I have left a key in there (and the dash is lit up, including the mileage, etc - this stays on even after I close the door indefinitely)

When I start the jeep with that same fob, and then turn it off, the lock/unlock buttons no longer work (nor does the remote start even attempt to start)

BUT...

My other FOB now works for lock/unlock, (but not start, and the thing still chimes) until I use it to start the Jeep, and then it will no longer lock/unlock/start

BUT...

the original FOB now works for unlock/lock :( I can repeat this sequence as much as I want, but have no idea what the issue is!

I have:
checked doors are closed (they all are, and switches recognize this)
jumpered the hood switch to make sure it is not that
played with the e-brake to see if that made a diff

I have a feeling the problem is tied to whatever is making it chime / ding, but I have no idea what that is....

PLEASE HELP!! :S

Thank you!
Old 08-26-2014, 04:22 PM
JK Newbie

Sounds like your wireless control module WCM is jacked! Replace lots and lots when I worked at the dealer. Hope this helps!
Old 08-26-2014, 08:40 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Emergency51
Sounds like your wireless control module WCM is jacked! Replace lots and lots when I worked at the dealer. Hope this helps!

An update... I opened up the steering console and unplugged the WCM, and it still dings when door is opened, even tho there is no key in the ignition... Any chance it is the ignition switch or something?
Old 10-08-2016, 03:38 PM
JK Newbie

Default Chimes

I have read numerous Threads in different areas.... involving the Chimes, loosing your lock & unlock sequence, all kinds of different thoughts....... So I have been doing some trouble shooting... I have found that if I unhook the Cables for a few minutes then hook them up I get my Key Fob operation back, and if I go thru any of the passenger doors it will still operate...... But if I go thru the Drivers Door I get my chime back and the Fob quits, and back to hand locking it and the Constant Chime So watching a gentleman on a utube explaining how to disconnect the Chime in a JK, while Drinking Beer & shooting his Gun in the Forest, I thought for sure he was thinking the same thing I was and shoot the damn thing and walk homebut no he rolled the the door latches 3 times and the Chime Quits.... I tried it.. hes right, but the key FOB still does not work. so that eliminates that the chime and Key Fob are not working together but have a" common issue in my mind"......another thread said that he had the same problem with the Fob & Chimes and he added WD -40 to the ignition switch and that releases a micro switch that is gummed up,I tried it and the key turns nice and it smells like WD-40 in the JK now..... So I read another Thread that had similar problem and change the ignition switch, to remove the Chimes... My next move is go buy a new Ignition switch,change the Tumblers to match my Key for $55.00, and hope I am thinking the correct direction
Old 04-08-2017, 08:08 PM
JK Newbie

Default Fixed the Chime, got my Alarm back, everything is just Dandy..

Ok, last time I was on here was in September of 2016, I fixed the dreaded door Chime, got my Alarm and use of the FOB back, I finally changed the ignition Tumblers, in fact I changed the whole thing out, Cost me about $55.00 to buy a rebuild kit for the ignition on the Jeep..... Biggest deal was finding the release button for the Key and the Tumblers, all the info I read said it was on the Bottom , NOT its on top, and it was a bear to get out..... But once we got the tumbler out, went thru them figured which 8 you will need, built the new key Tumbler, slipped it in, attached all of the Blinker Key Safety thing , all of the Plastic Trim, ...15 minutes to put it back together, 2.5 hrs to figure out where that darn button was My Tumblers were messed up, and stuck, no wonder it wouldn't release the CHIME......., except with out the Key in the ignition..... Give it a shot, It was worth the $55.00 to rebuild that key Tumbler gadget.... Good Luck TRAVLER1

Quick Reply: 08 JK Rubi - Jeep thinks key still in ignition, remote start not working