Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

09 JK X - Interior Lights not Working

Old 09-22-2015, 07:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 JK X - Interior Lights not Working

Hi all,

New to the jeep world as of March and having fun - Hoping to get some help with a lighting issue.

The lights on the center panel are not working (HVAC, buttons).
The lights on the Gear Shifter are not working.
The lights on the instrument panel do come on just fine and are dimmable via the stick.

A few weeks back while driving, the center panel and gear shifter flickered a bit and finally just won't come on anymore.

Checked all fuses and they are not blown.

Thoughts??

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-22-2015, 07:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Maybe the dimmer switch is bad ?
Old 09-22-2015, 08:04 PM
JK Newbie

That's whats weird... The dimmer works fine with the instrument panel (MPH, RPM, etc...). It is just the lights on the center console that are out including the gear shifter (PNRD12).
Old 09-23-2015, 01:42 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There's a connector under the front passenger seat for the center console, at least on mine. Maybe loose.

Last edited by 14Sport; 09-23-2015 at 07:33 AM.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:53 PM
JK Newbie

And the plot thickens...

I checked all fuses related to these interior lights and all are goof.
I took the center dash apart and unplugged all the connectors. Used a circuit tester grounded to the Jeep and power is getting to the panel.
What I also noticed was the ESP and hazard lights switch are not working either. When using the circuit tested and closing the loop the hazards would turn on.

I took the advice provided and the light bulbs are not blown, the cicruit board for the switch panel is an LED, connectors are solid under the seat.

So now I am thinking there is a relay issue or something else? REading some other forums I am seeing similar issues but no answers. Here are some links:

Rubicon Locker Swaybar and ESP Switches Stopped working

Not working: ESP button, Hazards button, interior light - JeepForum.com

Thoughts?
Old 09-24-2015, 02:39 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by tuc8458
Used a circuit tester grounded to the Jeep and power is getting to the panel.
What I also noticed was the ESP and hazard lights switch are not working either. When using the circuit tested and closing the loop the hazards would turn on.
So now I am thinking there is a relay issue or something else? REading some other forums I am seeing similar issues but no answers. Thoughts?
Based on that I would say a ground problem. Check all the ground lugs around there and make sure they are tight.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:20 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for that advice -

I checked all the lugs to the ground points on the foot wells. They are solid. In fact I was using them both when using the circuit tester as a ground. No changes on the lights working.

Next steps:

1. I completely unplugged the battery to reset the system.
2. I am disconnecting the after market HID Headlights, LED Light Bar, Warn Winch, Stereo, and amplifier. This will return the Jeep to the way it was when I first purchased it in March.
3. REconnect the battery.
4. Use my Super Chips to read the diagnostic codes to see if anything shows up there.

All bets are there is a short. Interestingly enough the lights starting flickering around the same time the rain started here in AZ. the Jeep is kept in the garage but has seen some water in the past 60 days.

I'll post my results of the above once I have them.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:12 AM
JK Junkie

Interesting that when you provide an alternate ground path with the meter they work. I would check the ground strap to the tub as well.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:39 AM
JK Newbie

The ground that I used for the circuit tester is the same ground used for all the lighting based on the wiring diagram and connection points I downloaded. Here is a picture:

What do you mean when you say "Ground Strap to the Tub"?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0038[1].jpg
Views:	1681
Size:	2.77 MB
ID:	625420  
Old 09-24-2015, 09:34 AM
JK Junkie

What I mean by alternate ground is that the ground from the connector doesn't seem to be working because when you bypass the harness with your testers for ground by going directly from the connector to the grounding lug it works. If it's not loose at the ground lug connection then maybe the ground pin in the connector itself isn't seated or possibly a break in the ground wire itself. If it were me I would run a jumper wire from the grounding lug back to the connector and see if it fixes the problem which I suspect it will. Then you will know it's a bad ground wire.

The frame, engine, and tub are all connected to the negative battery terminal via cables or straps. I know my YJ has straps at various points as I pulled most of the dash apart on that and saw them. I'm not sure which the JK has. If one (not sure if there are more than 1 for each in the JK) or more of those grounds makes a bad connection you could have a similar problem. To test that, you could use a large gauge wire, whatever you got, I've even used jumper cables, to ground the tub at the firewall to the battery. If the problem goes away then most likely a loose or poor connection at a grounding strap or cable.

Another possibility is that they all share a common ground and it's not the grounding lug you used.

If it was only one light out I would suspect the fixture or bulb but since it is more than one that is highly unlikely. I'm not saying that is your problem I'm just saying that is what I would check based on your statements.

Last edited by 14Sport; 09-24-2015 at 10:57 AM.

Quick Reply: 09 JK X - Interior Lights not Working