Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2008 JKU Not Recognizing Open Door

Old 02-06-2017, 06:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 JKU Not Recognizing Open Door

I have a 2008 JKU Sahara that is not recognizing when I open the drivers door. Interior lights do not come on and radio stays on (if leaving the vehicle). I have checked the connection plug and it seems fine. I have considered buying a new door wiring harness if that is the solution. What should I check? Thanks in advance!
Old 02-06-2017, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

My passenger door does the same thing because the wires in the connector were ripped put. Might be that or could be the multifunction switch on the steering column. Check to see if you can adjust the interior lights.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

So if the other doors activate the interior light and the driver front doesn't, then I'd take a look at your connector. Specifically the portion of the wiring that's on the door side. If you remove your doors often, you may have pulled a wire out of the plug enough to cause the problem. I did this. It was pulled out of the plug enough not to make contact with it's corresponding wiring on the body but not enough to see that it was out of position.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:42 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

^^ I had this same thing happen except it was the wire for my electric window on the driver's side. it was just out of place enough to be really finicky. I couldn't tell until I really dug in to the harness on the door side and then it was obvious that the pin for that specific wire kept getting pushed back just a bit when I tried to connect it in to the body side harness. Mine is a '13. Seems that they made some big improvements in the harnesses for the '14+ models. Those are so much easier to disconnect.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great feedback, thanks! I'll take a closer look at the connector.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:44 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

IDK if the older harness were the same or different than what I have my '13, but here is a link to previous thread I started that has some pictures on it.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...solved-337996/

On mine, when I pull the door-side harness to disconnect and remove my doors, that little white clip would always come loose. that seemed to be what put pressure on the pins to stay in place, so when it would get loose, the one pin was able to wiggle out of place....then, when I'd go to reconnect my doors and push the harnesses together, it would just push that one pin backwards.

I'm not certain your issue is related or not. If you haven't taken your doors off much or recently, it may not be, but that is probably where I'd start poking around since it seems that it's just one side giving you an issue.

Quick Reply: 2008 JKU Not Recognizing Open Door