Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2011 sport LED footwell issues, going crazy

Old 08-02-2015, 07:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Banjo
1. The wire I tried looks just like the one in your picture, grabbing it in the wire pack under steering column.

2. Looks like you have dash off. Hard to do?

3. Did you have to attach LED negative wire to a black ground wire versus direct to a grounding bolt?

My JK is a base model, no goodies like power mirrors, power windows so worried I am not grabbing right wire.

Thanks for sending pic!
There are 4 screws for the dash and 4 for the instrument cluster.

I did use a ground, but this was for the wiring of my otrattw switches which require a ground.

My 2011 is a base model also...built not bought
Old 08-04-2015, 04:16 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dale36
There are 4 screws for the dash and 4 for the instrument cluster.

I did use a ground, but this was for the wiring of my otrattw switches which require a ground.

My 2011 is a base model also...built not bought
Thanks!

Between you and 14Sport I should be set. I will post the finished lights although will be a few weekends before I can attempt the dash again. I am such a newb everything takes time.

Awesome on your base... I like having a base model, except that it is a 2011. Seems like everything is a bit off with the 2011's. But, I am having fun making it my own, wouldn't trade!
Old 08-04-2015, 04:19 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 14Sport
Thanks - BTW your write up is terrific. I will be using it to figure out how to be able to dim my lights AND have them on a single switch. Hoping I can figure it out but I know where to ask if I have questions.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks!

Between you and 14Sport I should be set. I will post the finished lights although will be a few weekends before I can attempt the dash again. I am such a newb everything takes time.

Awesome on your base... I like having a base model, except that it is a 2011. Seems like everything is a bit off with the 2011's. But, I am having fun making it my own, wouldn't trade!
You are most welcome. Oh, by the way, I will be in your town this coming April to run the Boston Marathon.

Have fun out there,

Dale
Old 08-04-2015, 03:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks - BTW your write up is terrific. I will be using it to figure out how to be able to dim my lights AND have them on a single switch. Hoping I can figure it out but I know where to ask if I have questions.
No problem.

You are most welcome. Oh, by the way, I will be in your town this coming April to run the Boston Marathon.

Have fun out there,

Dale
That's awesome. I believe you have to qualify at other marathons to register for it. Good for you! But be forwarned...watch out for Heartbreak Hill. It's at the 21 mile mark so pace yourself.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 14Sport
No problem.

That's awesome. I believe you have to qualify at other marathons to register for it. Good for you! But be forwarned...watch out for Heartbreak Hill. It's at the 21 mile mark so pace yourself.
Correct, I qualified at the California International Marathon. Thank you for the advice.

Dale
Old 08-05-2015, 04:03 AM
JK Newbie

Have fun out there,

Dale
Very cool. Marathon weekend is very fun, be sure to come to Hopkinton to get your picture taken at the sign "It all starts here!" located on our common.

I will likely be cheering for you, and 14K others, from TJs, your first music/bar along the route.

If you need anything or info don't hesitate to reach out.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put LED footwell lighting in my 2011 JKU. I ran a wire from the rear rollbar light all the way up front cause I thought it was the easiest wire to tap into that dimmed after the doors were shut. Just unzip the roll bar padding and figure out which wire is power.

Quick Reply: 2011 sport LED footwell issues, going crazy