Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2012 Uconnect SW update (RES,REQ,RHB & RBZ only)

Old 12-26-2012, 07:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2012 Uconnect SW update (RES,REQ,RHB & RBZ only)

For 2012 vehicles build prior to 1-1-2012, this is the update that is used by the dealers for TSB 08-018-12.

ok, Here's the instructions:
Download this file that I have on Mediafire onto a thumb drive that has been formatted to FAT32 and then Place this thumb drive in the USB connector mounted either in the glove box or the center console. Press & release the uconnect phone button and say “set up, software update”. You will start to hear some beeps. This process will take about 20 – 25 minutes. It’s a good size file. During the beeps, the radio screen will in an update mode, when the beeps are done and the screen goes back to the radio then the process should be complete. Just wait for a few seconds after the radio starts to play before removing the thumb drive. Turn the key off, open & close the driver’s door. Wait about 30 seconds then turn the key on. After radio powers up wait about 15 seconds, then press and hold the uconnect phone button for about 15 seconds, the radio will start to say a few options and then something like please attach usb….. And then there will be a software version that comes up on the screen. Should be 63.02.48 V: HS: d2 or d1. When you see this
release
the button, press and release it again. The radio will show the radio screen now. Let me know how it works out for you. Thank you,
You will also need to delete the current pairing of the phone to Uconnect and the Uconnect to the phone, then start the new pairing session.

Here's the link for the file:
uconnect.upd

Now additional notes about SIRI and other features:

Due to the way SIRI, Visual Voice MAil, annd voice memos handle an incoming call while using any of these features, they will not be supported after the update.
Also:

NOTE: After the HFM has been updated it will receive these enhancements.
· Reduced “Device Reading” wait time after connecting a device to the remote USB
port.
· Call / Dial separation improves upon names being recognized as phone numbers.
· Improved sound quality during Bluetooth streaming.
· Increased iPod and iPhone compatibility.
· SMS messaging support via MAP protocol (not all phones support the MAP
protocol).
· Added “None of These” and “Correction” to the phone book prompt menu for better
handling of similar names.
· Previous button will return the song currently being played to the beginning of the
track.
· AirPlay feature “Dock Connector” no longer needs to be manually selected on Apple
devices. This will resolve the “No Audio” condition when the device is connected to
the remote USB port and dock connector is not selected.

NOTE: USB mode resume will no longer 'resume' after ignition OFF
The following 2 users liked this post by xsdbs:
GMaT&C (09-02-2018), Josey11 (04-04-2021)
Old 01-07-2013, 11:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

X,

Thanks for your help as I've followed more of your posts on this elsewhere. I managed to find the TSB online and have a question. This is copy/paste from the TSB you mention:

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built up to January 1, 2012(MDH 0101XX)
equipped WITH UConnect Voice Command w/Bluetooth (sales code RSP,
RSQ) and WITHOUT Media Center 730N CD/DVD/MP3/HDD/NAV (sales code
RER or RHR) or Media Center 735N CD/DVD/HDD/NAV (sales code REW or
RHW) or Media Center 731N CD/DVD/HDD/NAV (sales code REP ) or AM/FM
CD MP3 NAV RADIO - ROW (sales code RHP) .

So, seems it only applies to RSP, RSQ radios and not those listed in the topic title?

Also, the TSB doesn't talk about opening/closing driver's door so am I misunderstanding something somewhere?

Thanks for any insight and all of your help.

Last edited by fredrok; 01-07-2013 at 11:27 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

RSP & RSQ are sales codes that have to be flashed into the vehiclle so it knows that you have Uconnect in it. Without the sales code, Uconnect won't power up and work.
1) RSP is the North American coode
2) RSQ is for countries other than North America.
3) The opening & closing of the drivers door is an additional step just to make sure that the Accessory retained power is off and the modules all power down. This wa sa step that I took for many years while being a technician.

Originally Posted by fredrok
X,

Thanks for your help as I've followed more of your posts on this elsewhere. I managed to find the TSB online and have a question. This is copy/paste from the TSB you mention:

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built up to January 1, 2012(MDH 0101XX)
equipped WITH UConnect Voice Command w/Bluetooth (sales code RSP,
RSQ) and WITHOUT Media Center 730N CD/DVD/MP3/HDD/NAV (sales code
RER or RHR) or Media Center 735N CD/DVD/HDD/NAV (sales code REW or
RHW) or Media Center 731N CD/DVD/HDD/NAV (sales code REP ) or AM/FM
CD MP3 NAV RADIO - ROW (sales code RHP) .

So, seems it only applies to RSP, RSQ radios and not those listed in the topic title?

Also, the TSB doesn't talk about opening/closing driver's door so am I misunderstanding something somewhere?

Thanks for any insight and all of your help.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:15 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xsdbs
RSP & RSQ are sales codes that have to be flashed into the vehiclle so it knows that you have Uconnect in it. Without the sales code, Uconnect won't power up and work.
1) RSP is the North American coode
2) RSQ is for countries other than North America.
3) The opening & closing of the drivers door is an additional step just to make sure that the Accessory retained power is off and the modules all power down. This wa sa step that I took for many years while being a technician.
#3...How did you upload Updates to Can Bus Hands Free units and then avtivate the RAP system, Retain Accessory Power, by opening the Door....This Technology is first in Cars, Even when Older Cars had Navigation,(this will be a good test ) how did Navigation work in the Fist batch of Navs in cars, say like in a 2006 Acura RL, $45,000.00 model? where did the nav get the data for the Nav when is was in use?
Old 05-06-2013, 07:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Are you really serious? You really want to try to disprove me? Funny thing is that you can't argue with numbers. I just looked at the host site for the SW updates that I supply for people to use. They total over 7,000 downloads. Have you really looked at the number of people that I have helped with Uconnect related issues in the several forums that I go on? If you had, you'd see that there are a lot of happy people that have been able to resolve their Uconnect issues. If I had NO CLUE about how Uconnect worked or I was just full of $hit then there would be a lot of unhappy people telling me so and there's not. Many of these people have been back and forth to the dealerships whose "Qualified Technicians" with all the "Factory Documents" that you flaunt as if you're some master technician with an overabundance of knowledge. I have worked with people that thought the same until they were given the task of actually diagnosing a problem. Guess what? They failed miserably.
So once again to answer your question about how to apply a SW update.
1) As I have mentioned several times to you but you're lacking the ability to really pick up on it. [B]THESE SW updates[B] are not done by using CAN. They are done using a flash drive. These Uconnect modules are the "EXTERNAL" Uconnect modules that are updated using a flash drive that has the file downloaded to it and then placed into the remote mounted USB connector.
2) You also need to read and seriously think before your fingers start to move. Where did I say that I activated the RAP (Retained Accessory Power) management by opening the doors? REREAD step #3. It says "open the drivers door to shut RAP off and to make sure that the modules are powered down. As I said, it's an "extra step" that I took when programming modules.

Originally Posted by AtlJeepsTer
#3...How did you upload Updates to Can Bus Hands Free units and then avtivate the RAP system, Retain Accessory Power, by opening the Door....This Technology is first in Cars, Even when Older Cars had Navigation,(this will be a good test ) how did Navigation work in the Fist batch of Navs in cars, say like in a 2006 Acura RL, $45,000.00 model? where did the nav get the data for the Nav when is was in use?
Old 03-07-2014, 05:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello

Can someone re-post the missing link for the SW update please ? I have 2011 REQ media console (JK Rubicon diesel european version). Thanks in advance!
Old 03-16-2014, 10:31 PM
JK Newbie

You have a PM with the address.

Andi
Old 03-17-2014, 03:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

The 2011 Uconnect SW update link is:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...e-info-255388/

Originally Posted by pexic
Hello

Can someone re-post the missing link for the SW update please ? I have 2011 REQ media console (JK Rubicon diesel european version). Thanks in advance!
Old 03-17-2014, 03:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like xsdbs knows his sh$&, i think I'd listen to him, I learned a lot from this post
Old 03-17-2014, 03:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for sending the information to anditdi. I didn't replied before reading your post.

Originally Posted by anditdi
You have a PM with the address.

Andi

Quick Reply: 2012 Uconnect SW update (RES,REQ,RHB & RBZ only)