Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2014 Rubi X with Alpine- Bass is all over the map

Old 04-19-2014, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Rubi X with Alpine- Bass is all over the map

So I'm beginning to think my stereo is possessed. I've got a 2014 JKURX with the 130 head unit, but the Alpine speaker system w/ sub. Sometimes you can barely hear the sub, others you know it is there. I've played with the settings without much success. So far, I have figured out the following:

Sirius radio: Decent bass response, I almost could tell it has a factory sub but the highs are muddy like sat radio always is

CD's: Virtually no bass at all. I had to hold my hand on the sub to even know it was doing anything, could only hear it with my head down by it with the volume on 20

FM radio: Somewhere in between

AUX imput: Run off of an old ipod, the system mysteriously comes to life, i.e. sounds like it should. Rearview is shaking kinda loud.

Anyone have any experience with this system that can chime in? I'm gonna do the polyfil stuff tomorrow and see if it helps, but that doesn't explain the huge variation in sound quality. Every system I have ever owned always sounds the best off of a cd?
Old 04-20-2014, 02:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the worst "premium" audio system on the planet. I wished there was a 'delete radio' option when ordering my Jeep stereo last year. A gaping hole in the dash would have been both better sounding and easier to upgrade. Harsh huh?
Old 04-20-2014, 04:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattk11
Welcome to the worst "premium" audio system on the planet. I wished there was a 'delete radio' option when ordering my Jeep stereo last year. A gaping hole in the dash would have been both better sounding and easier to upgrade. Harsh huh?
Not too harsh, really.

Having had a few Wranglers of various vintages, I will say these are the best systems they have ever put in them. That said, being called "premium" systems is disingenuous and they do make them an awful hassle to upgrade due to how the handle EQ.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had worse stock systems (2011 F150), and I've certainly had better (Land Rover LR3). I just finished filling the soundbar and sub box with polyfil. Marked improvement from the soundbar, marginal from the sub. I can actually hear the soundbar speakers now, and the sub sounds slightly fuller. For 20-minutes of time and $2.75 in materials I'd say it is worthwhile. I guess it is what it is. I'm just glad I figured out I have a USB port in the center console, now I can actually control my ipod from the steering wheel.

Quick Reply: 2014 Rubi X with Alpine- Bass is all over the map