Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited at $1500

Old 10-27-2015, 04:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my pdx v9 under the dash, it is kinda janky. I have a manual and there is a switch for the clutch in the way so that made it tough. 1. I had to remove the plate and the bars that are in the square hole. Then I mounted the amp to a plastic cutting board from Walmart and used shelf brackets from home Depot. Screwed the amp to the board (cut the screws) screwed the brackets to the cutting (cut the ends also) then screwed the shelf brackets in the holes where the bars/braces were. It was not the easiest or the cleanest, I need to pull it out and clean it up.......but it works and no shops in my area would attempt it.....I will try for pics tomorrow (no one please laugh or flame cause it looks embarrassing. ...lol)
Old 10-27-2015, 04:14 PM
JK Newbie

Here is a good tip, if you put the amp there do not use the factory grounding points on the left side near the door. Use a carpet screw, clean the area and screw it down with a bolt. On the sidewall with the factory ground will cause a nice hummm in the speakers. I just moved mine last weekend. Sound quality greatly improved after.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Picked up the JK Saturday from my installers. WOW what a night and day difference.

Here's my complete gear list.

HueFei RK3188 Quad Core Android Based Head Unit w/ 1024x800 display head unit
AT&T Velocity 4G WiFi Hotspot
iMall 480TVL Backup Camera
ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII Reader
Focal PS165V 6.5" Components (Front/Dash)
Focal PS165V 6.5" Components (Rear/Sound Bar)
JL Audio CP110LG-TW1 Single 10" Sub Enclosure (4ohm)
Alpine PDX-V9 5 Channel Amp
Alpine RUX-KNOB Base Adjustment Knob
Stinger SI4617 6 Channel RCA Cable
Mesa SWC1625 16 Gauge Speaker Wire (2 spools)
Mesa SWC1217 12 Gauge Speaker Wire (For Sub)
Mesa AKC4 4 Gauge Amp Kit
HushMat 10110-Speaker Kit's (4 total)

My installer started by lining each of the speaker pods with HushMat to help with the flexing. He also lined the interior of the roll bars 6 1/2" enclosure with it as well. Both sets of components were installed in the factory locations with the rear tweeters occupying the 3" driver spots in the roll bar. These were connected to the Alpine PDX amp mounted beneath the passangers seat using a solid aluminium mounting plate purchased off eBay specifically for this purpose. The amp was wired to the battery and floor of the Jeep using the 4 gauge amp kit from Mesa with the fuse being zip tied to a factory wiring harness near the battery to reduce vibration. I installed the Android based head unit and connected it to the vehicles CAN BUS using a supplied adapter and the amp using the Stinger RCA cable. The RUX-KNOB has been installed under the drivers side dash for easy access to base adjustments on the fly.

The head unit has been connected to an ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII reader which resides permenantly in the OBDII slot underneath the dash. This allows me to run Torque and pull information from the Jeeps computer to create virtual gauges. The GPS antenna for the head unit was attached to the top of the mounted head unit directly below the factory sunglass holder in the dash to maintain good signal. The head unit is also "tethered" to an AT&T Velocity 4G-LTE WiFi hotspot which sits in the center console and is permenantly attached to a 12V USB charger to ensure it's battery is always charged. This allows me internet access anywhere I go that has cell reception, and through that access to any streaming service I could want (Pandora, SiriusXM, Spotify, etc) as well as constant map updates. I have installed a 64gb Class-10 MicroSD card in the head unit for MP3 storage and routed one of the two rear USB ports into the glove box for removable storage.

Factory steering wheel control interface is maintained thanks to the CAN-BUS adapter included with the head unit as well as a custom APK written by an XDA developer to allow me control over Power Amp and other aftermarket apps for music playback. Navigation is done via Google Maps, Co-Pilot Premium, and Waze. Right now I'm favoring Co-Pilot due to it's offline capable maps. All of the above are kept up to date thanks to the WiFi Hot Spot.

There was one minor setback during the install as JL Audio via Crutchfield shipped me the wrong subwoofer. Instead of the CP110LG-TW1 I had ordered I received a Stealthbox for a Chevy Silverado. I shipped this back to Crutchfield today and they assure me I should have the correct subwoofer by Wednesday. I plan to attach a dual banana plug adapter to the end of the subwoofers speaker lead for quick removal of the sub box when hauling things. By using a dual plug I avoid the risk of the connectors touching and shoring out the amp.

So far I'm EXTREMELY happy with my setup. Listening to a variety of music has shown the Focal's to be extremely clear and loud. Especially for the money. I was concerned the tweeters might be to bright and need to be rolled off but so far just adjusting the bias to about 70% front has yielded an EXCELLENT sound.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:40 AM
JK Newbie

does that head unit have FM/AM/HDR?
Old 11-05-2015, 11:43 AM
JK Newbie

also, could you use something like this with it?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...FZQ6gQodgPIGrA
Old 11-06-2015, 01:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Skippman
Picked up the JK Saturday from my installers. WOW what a night and day difference. Here's my complete gear list. HueFei RK3188 Quad Core Android Based Head Unit w/ 1024x800 display head unit AT&T Velocity 4G WiFi Hotspot iMall 480TVL Backup Camera ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII Reader Focal PS165V 6.5" Components (Front/Dash) Focal PS165V 6.5" Components (Rear/Sound Bar) JL Audio CP110LG-TW1 Single 10" Sub Enclosure (4ohm) Alpine PDX-V9 5 Channel Amp Alpine RUX-KNOB Base Adjustment Knob Stinger SI4617 6 Channel RCA Cable Mesa SWC1625 16 Gauge Speaker Wire (2 spools) Mesa SWC1217 12 Gauge Speaker Wire (For Sub) Mesa AKC4 4 Gauge Amp Kit HushMat 10110-Speaker Kit's (4 total) My installer started by lining each of the speaker pods with HushMat to help with the flexing. He also lined the interior of the roll bars 6 1/2" enclosure with it as well. Both sets of components were installed in the factory locations with the rear tweeters occupying the 3" driver spots in the roll bar. These were connected to the Alpine PDX amp mounted beneath the passangers seat using a solid aluminium mounting plate purchased off eBay specifically for this purpose. The amp was wired to the battery and floor of the Jeep using the 4 gauge amp kit from Mesa with the fuse being zip tied to a factory wiring harness near the battery to reduce vibration. I installed the Android based head unit and connected it to the vehicles CAN BUS using a supplied adapter and the amp using the Stinger RCA cable. The RUX-KNOB has been installed under the drivers side dash for easy access to base adjustments on the fly. The head unit has been connected to an ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII reader which resides permenantly in the OBDII slot underneath the dash. This allows me to run Torque and pull information from the Jeeps computer to create virtual gauges. The GPS antenna for the head unit was attached to the top of the mounted head unit directly below the factory sunglass holder in the dash to maintain good signal. The head unit is also "tethered" to an AT&T Velocity 4G-LTE WiFi hotspot which sits in the center console and is permenantly attached to a 12V USB charger to ensure it's battery is always charged. This allows me internet access anywhere I go that has cell reception, and through that access to any streaming service I could want (Pandora, SiriusXM, Spotify, etc) as well as constant map updates. I have installed a 64gb Class-10 MicroSD card in the head unit for MP3 storage and routed one of the two rear USB ports into the glove box for removable storage. Factory steering wheel control interface is maintained thanks to the CAN-BUS adapter included with the head unit as well as a custom APK written by an XDA developer to allow me control over Power Amp and other aftermarket apps for music playback. Navigation is done via Google Maps, Co-Pilot Premium, and Waze. Right now I'm favoring Co-Pilot due to it's offline capable maps. All of the above are kept up to date thanks to the WiFi Hot Spot. There was one minor setback during the install as JL Audio via Crutchfield shipped me the wrong subwoofer. Instead of the CP110LG-TW1 I had ordered I received a Stealthbox for a Chevy Silverado. I shipped this back to Crutchfield today and they assure me I should have the correct subwoofer by Wednesday. I plan to attach a dual banana plug adapter to the end of the subwoofers speaker lead for quick removal of the sub box when hauling things. By using a dual plug I avoid the risk of the connectors touching and shoring out the amp. So far I'm EXTREMELY happy with my setup. Listening to a variety of music has shown the Focal's to be extremely clear and loud. Especially for the money. I was concerned the tweeters might be to bright and need to be rolled off but so far just adjusting the bias to about 70% front has yielded an EXCELLENT sound.
can you post pics or vid??
Old 11-17-2015, 07:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ImADad
does that head unit have FM/AM/HDR?
It does have a AM/FM tuner built in. It does not support HD Radio nor could I figure out a way to integrate one as an accessory. You could always use TuneIn but that would consume data if that's a concern for you.

Originally Posted by ImADad
also, could you use something like this with it?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...FZQ6gQodgPIGrA
I don't believe so. The Android OS is really odd about things which require drivers and I doubt anyones written custom ones for that device. You can get a TV Tuner option with most of these Android based head units.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:17 AM
JK Super Freak

So I decided to ditch the Android head unit. The Android unit just had more quirks than I was reasonably willing to fight with mostly due to my own ignorance of the Android platform. It also had some kind of audio glitch with the DSP where I'd get a grounding hum ONLY when using the pre-amp RCA outputs. This hum only occurred when I was actually playing audio.

Instead I wound up installing a Pioneer AVIC-7100NEX in it's place. The sound is fantastic and I like the interface. So far my only complaint has been that I can't get the auto EQ to run, but I think that might be due to how my installer wired up my parking break sensor.

What I'm trying to figure out now is what to do with the JL Audio CP110LG-TW1 that's in the trunk. I'd consider replacing it with one of Matt's under seat subwoofers if I didn't already have a Tuffy box under the drivers and the amp and cross overs under the passengers. Most of the time it's not an issue but I'd like to maybe find a way to mount it on it's side. I was thinking about getting a set of those rear MOLLE racks that Spring Tail sells and mouting it to the passenger side one, but I'm not sure how well that would work.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Skipmann, I'm not surprised to hear you dropped the Android HU. I have yet to find someone that was happy in the long term. The idea sounds good but like you said, they are too quirky. Every time I read a thread about someone installing one I want to chime in but I don't want to bad mouth anyone.

There are tutorials on YouTube to run your auto EQ. You have to power the unit off, then go into the setup menu. Once you plug in the microphone, you can run the process. It's a great starting point but you will likely have to manually adjust crossover points a little. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited at $1500