Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

430N backup camera

Old 04-17-2014, 10:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Divi
Tail light ground wire.
Are you using the factory reverse bulbs? Now I'm wondering if the LEDs I have installed may be introducing feedback in to the circuit.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the same camera and it has a great image. I'm grounded to the reverse lamps with stock bulbs.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Stock bulb. Do you have a resistor in line? If so might want to tap power off the trailer wore harness. Hear there is wiring for the 7 pin down there somewhere that you can tap the reverse from.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2014, 07:06 PM
JK Newbie

No resistors. I messed with it a little and now it's crystal clear. I think my ground may have been a little loose. I still have to pull my dash back apart to update the software on my NavTool, but the reverse camera works great now.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:48 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks to this thread, I completed the install yesterday. It wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be, but I dove in as prepared as I could be. Tomorrow I'm having the dealership Star scan my 430N, so I'm not sure if I did everything correctly yet ... hopefully I did. Here are a couple pics that I was unable to find when doing my homework. Please let me know if I did something wrong.

I assume this is where you connect into
Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	911
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	547425

I removed the glove box and routed the wiring harness up through the left side. The RCA cable for the camera I routed back along the firewall so I could route it under the carpet along the passenger side

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	815
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	547424

I wrapped up the remaining wires and tie strapped them up so that the glove box would not hit them.

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	774
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	547423

I used the drill bit that came with the camera to get through the bumper. Then I used a regular drill bit just a little smaller to drill the back part of the bumper

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	773
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	547426

I did loosen the 2 bumper bolts which gave enough clearance to router the camera RCA connectors up and over the frame, then into the back area.

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	803
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	547422
Old 04-24-2014, 06:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SMSgt B
Thanks to this thread, I completed the install yesterday. It wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be, but I dove in as prepared as I could be. Tomorrow I'm having the dealership Star scan my 430N, so I'm not sure if I did everything correctly yet ... hopefully I did. Here are a couple pics that I was unable to find when doing my homework. Please let me know if I did something wrong.
I'd be curious to learn what your dealer charges you for the StarSCAN programming. I just contacted my closest dealer (not where I purchased the vehicle), and the Service Manager quoted me $105 to reprogram my 730N. Seems high to me, based on other posts I've read.

The dealer where I bought the Jeep is further away, but I'm going to check with them tomorrow.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

$52.00 for my 430
Old 04-25-2014, 04:03 AM
JK Newbie

Default 430N backup camera

Just got mine done yesterday for free while it was there getting undercoating done.

Last edited by Tmjeep; 04-25-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:59 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by GADozer
$52.00 for my 430
Originally Posted by Tmjeep
Just got mine done yesterday while it was there getting undercoating done for free.
Thanks for your feedback. I thought I had seen prices in the range from $0 to $50 in previous reading, but didn't want to have to track down all those messages.

So apparently my closest dealer is either clueless, trying to gouge me, or just making sure he doesn't commit to doing something at a loss.

The dealer from whom I purchased the vehicle is further away, but has a much better reputation. It'll be interesting to hear what they have to say.

Last edited by JAustin; 04-25-2014 at 05:28 AM.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JAustin
Thanks for your feedback. I thought I had seen prices in the range from $0 to $50 in previous reading, but didn't want to have to track down all those messages. So apparently my closest dealer is either clueless, trying to gouge me, or just making sure he doesn't commit to doing something at a loss. The dealer from whom I purchased the vehicle is further away, but has a much better reputation. It'll be interesting to hear what they have to say.
I got two $65 quotes and one $125 quote around Seattle.

Quick Reply: 430N backup camera