Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

430N backup camera

Old 01-23-2014, 06:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 430N backup camera

I have the 430N factory system in my 2012 JKRU. I was wondering if it have the ability to run a backup Camera thru its display screen. The 430N in the Grand Caravan that my father has looks to be the same as mine but his has a backup camera. Is the 430N in the Jeep the same? If so, is it a difficult job to add this to the JK other that mounting a camera and running the wiring to the head unit. Is the wiring/jacks at the head unit with nothing connected?
Old 01-23-2014, 11:37 AM
JK Freak

I believe you will need the lockpick for it to be unlocked in our jeeps.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:22 PM
JK Junkie

X2, you'll need the lock pick, run wires to the back & the camera. Also the lock pick will allow you to program directions on your nav & play dvd's while running down the road.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

There are lots of posts on this; use the search function.
Based on my recollection, if you went with the Mopar unit for the Grand Cherokee, it's plug and play and lockpic is not needed. But do the search and confirm for yourself
Old 01-24-2014, 12:49 PM
JK Newbie

I've wanted and wondered this as well.. Can't believe they didn't put a back up camera on the wranglers.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Lockpick isn't required, it adds a lot of nice features but also has some issues of its own. If you do it without one though you'll just get the factory functionality (camera while in reverse only) and you'll have to have a Jeep tech at the dealer Starscan your head unit to turn not he camera. I paid $50 for a tech to do mine, way cheaper than what I paid for my original Lockpock.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sdr0303
Lockpick isn't required, it adds a lot of nice features but also has some issues of its own. If you do it without one though you'll just get the factory functionality (camera while in reverse only) and you'll have to have a Jeep tech at the dealer Starscan your head unit to turn not he camera. I paid $50 for a tech to do mine, way cheaper than what I paid for my original Lockpock.
Which camera did you use? And was it plug n play, or did you have to modify the connector?
Old 01-28-2014, 05:55 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the information. I found a written off 2013 Caravan with a camera that is being parted out. I'm hoping to make a deal with the owner to remove camera and all the wiring.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had the camera that I got with my original Lockpick. Most of the cameras that I've seen are pretty much plug-n-play in the sense that as long as it has a video RCA and power wire, it will work. I had a Lockpick originally and it had pretty consistent problems. I got tired of taking my dash apart to repair it and just went the factory route.

I've seen several other cameras work as well. The head unit has the hookups. I've seen a couple of other people use the factory camera from a Grand Cherokee and it plugs right in.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:23 AM
JK Newbie

can anyone recommend a camera that they had success with. The guy parting out the van is going to use the camera on his own vehicle so he wont sell it. I want something that is plug and play so that none of the factory wiring has to be cut up other than using a mygig lockpick to do the programing.

Quick Reply: 430N backup camera