Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

430N backup camera

Old 01-20-2015, 05:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run a Thule T2. You can see around it with no problem. When it's down you're always looking thorough the bikes.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Oh good. I'd rather keep it centered. Thanks. I was running the T2 and have switched now to the 1UPUSA but they are similar in the way they all exit the hitch receiver.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:02 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Asinine
I finally got around to installing my reverse camera on Sunday. Took way longer than expected, but it was my first time pulling apart the interior and I'm very meticulous about how I set things up. The big write-up on page 12 was super helpful for figuring out how to route and wire things, though I opted for a few changes.

The PAC CHYRVD harness and Gino 1/4" CCD camera work great on the 730N. Bought on Amazon for $45. Dealer flashed it for free, might be the cheapest camera setup yet.

There's not much room behind the 730N to store the harness, so I fed the leads for the DVD player and VES out down to the floorpan behind the dash. If I ever need to hook up either, I can just pull out the wires and make the connections.

Pulling the HVAC controls made it easier to feed the wires down behind the dash. The camera wire runs down to the passenger side floorpan and follows the passenger wiring harness all the way back to the passenger side taillight, then drops down behind the subwoofer and into the jack storage area. I sliced the grommet to get the wires through and then finally mounted the camera in my 10A bumper like Divi did. The jack area is the only area where the wiring is visible, plus it's easy to change/replace the camera if necessary.

Drilling the bumper on a 10A is easier said than done. The hole saw that's included with the Gino ground down to nubs about half way through, so I had to buy another saw to finish the job.

Power for the camera comes from passenger side taillight by feeding the wire through the grommet near the taillight and wiring black to black and red to white/green. The Gino wires are a really small gauge thus taps wouldn't work, so I used some 4" long wires that matched the JK gauge for the taps and then soldered those ends to the Gino wires, and finally covered them with heat shrink tubing. As I said, meticulous, but I don't like to revisit my work.

Pic of the 730N with camera working. Thanks a bunch to those who did the initial work and posted up their findings, very pleased with how it turned out.
Attachment 584697
Man, I need to do this mod...

Looks good
Old 01-26-2015, 05:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

this mod looks great, thanks everyone for the great write up!

Anyone know if the flashpaq tune gets erased after the dealer enables the camera feature? TIA
Old 01-26-2015, 06:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Cant speak for the flashpak but my Procal data got wiped.
I had to reload everything as if it had never been done.

Now with the TPMS set to zero I still get the "Check TPMS" and the 4 tires display 0 on startup, in my EVIC display. I have to hit Menu on the steering wheel control to clear it every time I start up. I do not get the chime as if I had a low tire though.
It must be something new in the program they uploaded.
I am not running TPMS sensors in my tires and don't want them.

When I get around to it I need to contact AEV and ask about it.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got it done too...what a GREAT mod!! I set my TPMS to the lowest the dealer could...28 PSI. I think my AEV Procal settings got wiped out so will check it tomorrow and reset as needed. I love this mod. Got my headlights and Rigid D2s on too.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tree Frog
Cant speak for the flashpak but my Procal data got wiped.
I had to reload everything as if it had never been done.

Now with the TPMS set to zero I still get the "Check TPMS" and the 4 tires display 0 on startup, in my EVIC display. I have to hit Menu on the steering wheel control to clear it every time I start up. I do not get the chime as if I had a low tire though.
It must be something new in the program they uploaded.
I am not running TPMS sensors in my tires and don't want them.

When I get around to it I need to contact AEV and ask about it.
Do you still have the tpms icon light on the gauge cluster when you clear the error on the menu? On mine, the message goes away on the evic, but the icon stays on the cluster... anyway, sorry to hijack.

So... if the dealer enable the camera option, I get a new stock tune? Wonder how the flaspaq treats this since already has an uploaded stock program (with a non camera option). This kinda stuff will make your head spin.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:00 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Crzyrobb
I went to the service department today thinking the issue was with my radio. They told me that the radio was fine and that I installed everything correctly and that they think my camera is not sending the right signal. I thought they were full of it because i am using the same camera that others have used on here. I left and thought what do I do now. I went to a friends sound shop and he had a camera that used the same power and video connection so I didn't have to rewire anything just unplug and plug in the new camera and what do you know it worked like a champ. Not in a million years would I have thought the camera was the issue because it showed up perfectly on the TV and portable DVD players I plugged it into. Problem solved!!
I ran into this same exact problem. Ordered all of the parts listed here in the thread and installed them. I used to work at a car stereo shop, so I'm very comfortable with wiring. Got all finished only to see a grainy flickering image on the screen. I double checked all of my connections, which were good and tight, so I ordered a replacement camera.

Just finished installing tonight and I now have a great picture. First camera was bad out of the box......what a pain!
Old 02-02-2015, 07:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not the cheapest one but the is the camera I ordered:

Robot Check

Works great during the day and in the pitch black night.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Video Output for the DVD

A few of you were talking earlier about getting your video output to work with the DVD player from the 430N and also got the dealer to activate this while getting the camera activated. I finally got my output for the overhead LCD screen working but I have a question.

Are you about to play the DVD for the kids / headrest and listen to the radio or other source at the same time ? or are you stuck listening to their movie ?

If you can listen to both or have both playing at the same time can you post a picture of your system setup menu ?

Also what headrest monitors did you use ? On my 2012 JKU the head rest are small as can be making me think I can only go with 6 or less '

Quick Reply: 430N backup camera