Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

430N backup camera

Old 02-13-2015, 07:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...Marty C...

Also, there is a factory headphone and remote kit that can be purchased on ebay that will allow the rear passengers to enjoy a movie without disturbing the driver...

I'm getting ready to run the wire for the camera when I install the new rear bumper and in he mean time also trying to have every question answered. I'm going to have the dealer activate the VES while I'm at it but am a little confused on it's operation. If the driver is listening to music and the rear passengers have video and audio for movies while in motion, how does the rear audio get to the rear seat area with the head phones? I saw all of the wireless headphones with a remote on eBay but must have missed how the audio signal gets to the headphones. Is it a Bluetooth function from the HU to the headphones?
Old 02-28-2015, 07:49 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Chadc880
GA Dozer - This one is for you!!! Thank you Sir!!

Here is my installation Part 2 of the camera. And she works awesome.

http://youtu.be/bU_3Sk4nucg
I have a 2015 JK with the Uconnect 430 CD/DVD/MP3/HDD, not the 430N. Can I add the backup camera to my radio? Thanks.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:38 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by blownss
Got mine installed today! Had a buddy laser me out some mounts from aluminum that sandwich between the wheel and carrier. Fits great and looks great. The aluminum is stout but pliable to adjust for the desired angle. I had him start me a pilot where the center of the camera is supposed to be that way I just had to drill out the specific size for my camera. I used the one that everybody else here is using and the pac interface plug for the back of the radio. Now I just have to go get hosed at the dealer and have them turn it on! Whatcha think? btw......its not upside down...just didnt get the Jeep symbol on the wheel on the bottom!

Sorry I know your post is a few months old.

I have the same wheels and this didn't occur to me until I saw your post. What about turning the bracket upside down and mounting the camera in the lower part of the wheel? It wouldn't be as high as the AEV config, not as low as the in bumper mount, but may work and allow for the tire to be "right" side up?
Old 03-17-2015, 08:44 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by billycj7
My buddy still has this on his cad and said he could whip one out for ya but it would be 15 bux
Would be interested too if your buddy is still on board with making and selling some brackets.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:05 AM
JK Newbie

Would you be able to upload the CAD file here?

I have access to a plasma cutter and could potentially fabricate a few of them.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:33 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ricetronaut
Would you be able to upload the CAD file here?

I have access to a plasma cutter and could potentially fabricate a few of them.

Yes can you please post it!
Old 04-04-2015, 06:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kash
Yes can you please post it!
I was considering making one of these (or having one made) but then a thought occurred to me (which happens sometimes...).

I was already ordering an AEV rear tire carrier, so I looked up the CHMSL. Sure enough, it comes on the same bracket as the full backup camera. So I purchased it for $45 and now I have the rear back up light and the bracket for this ready to go.

It's not quite as inexpensive as the fab-it-yourself or have it done route, but it was quick, easy, know that it fits, and I get my 3rd light back.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:35 AM
JK Newbie

I have installed the wiring harness and most of the backup camera (working on the positioning of the camera) and am ready to have the head unit programmed. I will say that my area of NE Ohio is not very friendly to this (from a dealer perspective).

Called closest dealer in Massillon - "We would need to review the work you've done before programming it. 2 hours of labor minimum"
Called dealer in the Falls - "We would need 2 hours but wouldn't charge our full service rate, somewhere between $100-150 total"
Called dealer in Kent - "The WHOLE HEAD UNIT NEEDS REPROGRAMMED for that to work... would be $178.50".

What is with the dealers in my area?

Any NE Ohio (or even Western PA) Jeepers who have had success getting this done at other dealers? I was originally hoping to find a dealer who would do it for the 1/2 of the service hour rate ($50-60) but now I'm hoping to find anyone under $100 nearby.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kevjeep
I was considering making one of these (or having one made) but then a thought occurred to me (which happens sometimes...).

I was already ordering an AEV rear tire carrier, so I looked up the CHMSL. Sure enough, it comes on the same bracket as the full backup camera. So I purchased it for $45 and now I have the rear back up light and the bracket for this ready to go.

It's not quite as inexpensive as the fab-it-yourself or have it done route, but it was quick, easy, know that it fits, and I get my 3rd light back.

Just to follow-up on my last post...

If you are using the stock rubicon wheels, the fit of the AEV CHMSL is tight. Actually it took a little filing of the sides of the plate to keep it from scratching the inside of the wheel. Right now it's touching on both sides and when I tightened the wheel lugs it pushed in slightly. So it's a very very tight fit.

Right now I have the camera I purchased below the light attached to the rack. Fortunately it has a swivel mount and worked well.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:07 PM
JK Newbie

Not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but are there specific flash codes I should ask my dealer to put on my 430N, when the vehicle comes in? I'm getting them to add a BU camera (starSCAN code: XAC: Park View BU Camera, and XRV:AV output), but was wondering if there is other functionality I could ask for... Eg a code to get the system to play DVDs while driving.

Quick Reply: 430N backup camera