Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

430n and Galaxy S5

Old 07-21-2014, 05:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by cg07sut; 07-21-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Okay, the new 14 came with the 430 and since purchase, I made the switch to a galaxy S5 (work). The system works okay for incoming calls, but I can't make any calls either through the phone or through voice commands. Like others have posted on various forums, it will make the call using voice commands, ring twice, then it says call ended but the actual phone stays connected without the radio but can't hear the person I'm calling and they can't hear me.

I've been dealing with Samsung for the past couple days doing various resets. As of this evening, still no luck placing calls but the radio now reads incoming texts. Latest info is that Samsung needs the Bluetooth profile for the 430. Anyone have this info?
Old 07-21-2014, 06:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by cg07sut
Okay, the new 14 came with the 430 and since purchase, I made the switch to a galaxy S5 (work). The system works okay for incoming calls, but I can't make any calls either through the phone or through voice commands. Like others have posted on various forums, it will make the call using voice commands, ring twice, then it says call ended but the actual phone stays connected without the radio but can't hear the person I'm calling and they can't hear me. I've been dealing with Samsung for the past couple days doing various resets. As of this evening, still no luck placing calls but the radio now reads incoming texts. Latest info is that Samsung needs the Bluetooth profile for the 430. Anyone have this info?
Subscribed and looking forward to a solution, as I have a 2014 JKU Rubicon X with a 430 and a Verizon Galaxy S5 with the same problem. Thanks.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:47 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by joecam
Subscribed and looking forward to a solution, as I have a 2014 JKU Rubicon X with a 430 and a Verizon Galaxy S5 with the same problem. Thanks.
I have the same radio and an S5 with T-Mo and I don't have the problem. My only gripe is that it will no pair automatically for whatever reason
Old 07-22-2014, 05:09 PM
JK Newbie

Apparently the issue is with the CDMA carriers Verizon and Sprint.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm having the same problems with my S5 and my '12 as well, but I don't think it's a phone issue. I've gone through three different phones since I got my Jeep and all three did the exact same thing but worked fine in my wife's Ford Expedition. The comment about Verizon's network would seem more plausible to me than a phone software issue.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:00 PM
JK Newbie

Thumbs down

my JKUS has a 430N but no phone option at all! I'd have to buy a cable and microphone and have dealer install etc. pretty shifty (yeah blah blah blah shoulda coulda woulda it's just not something I thought had to check the dang thing is called U connect but connects to nothing). grumble
Old 07-23-2014, 04:17 AM
JK Newbie

Yes, I think the problem is linked to the Android OS and then having Verizon or Sprint as a carrier. Where your other phones all Android?
Old 07-23-2014, 04:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And people keep asking me why I have always "upgraded" to another iPhone 4. Lol. Because everything works with it. And the aftermarket support is awesome.

That said, I work in the audio industry and have not had an issue with this phone with regards to any aftermarket Bluetooth radios. I don't get to help much with OEM. So I really cannot offer much help other than to say the same phone with the same carrier as yours works flawlessly with Kenwood, Pioneers, and all Parrot based BT systems. Maybe the 430 needs to be updated? Is it even possible?
Old 07-23-2014, 08:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

To answer a couple questions, the Galaxy works great in my wife's 14 Cherokee with the 8.4 system, including showing text messages. My 430N unit receives calls fine, and has just begun receiving text message notifications, it doesn't show the texts like the 8.4 but will speak the texts. My previous phone was an Apple 5s, it was just too small of a screen (old eyes) and I apparently have fat thumbs (use to type using both thumbs) which is partially why I moved to the Galaxy.

The last tech at Samsung asked that I provide them with the Bluetooth profiles from the 430N. I need that information so that I can share with them to see what, if anything, can be done. If anyone installed post-delivery and has the box, that information may be printed on the box or in any of the install instructions within the box. Mine was factory installed, so I don't have any of the info. Would love to be able to solve this for myself and everyone else, but need some info to speak with the techs.

Not trying to turn this into a phone comparison, but all things given, I would probably go back to the iphone...as much as I hate all apple products. Both units have their strengths, but for as much driving as I do, the ability to make calls is extremely important. If I can't find the info and resolve, I guess I have two options; 1. upgrade the factory HU to aftermarket, or 2. move back to apple (possibly waiting for the new 6).

Quick Reply: 430n and Galaxy S5