Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

430n and Galaxy S5

Old 07-23-2014, 05:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Galaxy 5s uses the A2DP Bluetooth profile (really standard). I just read an article on a new security feature on the 5s where it will not allow a Bluetooth device to download the address book automatically. The work around for this issue was to have you screen 'live' when you start the car, and the connection occurs. The 5s will ask you about the download, so answer 'Yes'. The address book not downloading would certainly adversely affect your voice commands. You may want to try this. If this is the case, I understand there is an app called Bluetooth Autoconnect in the play store that would take care of it for you..

Disclaimer - I have not tried either the procedure or the app, but may help you in identifying the issue..
Old 07-23-2014, 05:38 PM
JK Newbie

I should have asked the Android version number - there were connection issues with all sorts of cars with Jelly Bean(4.3), but Kit Kat(4.4) seemed to correct. Since you indicated that the 430 was reading you texts, I assumed 4.4, because support for Bluetooth MAP was introduced with 4.4..
Old 07-23-2014, 05:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the suggestions and the profile. My S5 is running the 4.4.2 release. Strange thing tonight, I was talking on the handset when walking to the jeep, got in, started the jeep and before I could back out of the parking spot, the phone switched over to the 430. I couldn't make a call after hanging up, but at least it communicated without someone calling me. It gives me hope that there must be a way to get things to work.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:47 PM
JK Newbie

Well first off, somehow I got 5s stuck in my head when I meant S5 - sorry for the confusion. I also forgot about car mode. If the test works, and you don't want to download the Bluetooth Autoconnect app, you can always use car mode..
Car mode is the newer Kit Kat(4.4) version of drive mode. Swipe down the notification menu from the top with two fingers. Car mode will be listed with the other notifications. Once you tap car mode, it opens automatically and from there you can click the menu tab in car mode, go to settings and you can register a car bluetooth or bluetooth device. I should get my thoughts together before posting..
Old 07-23-2014, 05:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Tried that one already, that was about the time that the texts started coming through but still no outgoing calls.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Update on some progress. Spent part of today at Jeep (since jeep customer service won't reply to emails and the call center says to give them a few more days because they are very busy) and this evening at Verizon. Samsung says the phone should work, jeep says it is the carrier and Verizon says it's samsung...go figure, a complete circle-jerk! Classic three stooges.

I can say that it's not an android issue because I had Verizon pair and test a couple phones, the best is probably the HTC One M8. Low and behold, after testing other brands, I get back in the jeep and pull away from Verizon to see I have a voice mail message. Without thinking, I hit the voice mail key and it connects and plays thru my S5 and the 430. Not believing what just happened, I try a couple test calls that work flawlessly. Stop to pick up lumber for my top hoist project and the phone won't work again!

This tells me that Verizon is full of ****! The three powerhouse clowns need to get their acts together and straighten this out. Sorry for the rant, but thought I would update on the latest twist.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never tried calling anyone with it, but my radio won't play the music from my s5 through the usb port. My 6 year old iPod however, works just fine except for the end of certain songs.

Quick Reply: 430n and Galaxy S5