Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

50" bar lights and the dreaded whistle. Does the year model make a difference?

Old 04-14-2014, 02:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 50" bar lights and the dreaded whistle. Does the year model make a difference?

A good friend and I both bought identical 50" totron LED bar lights. I used the HMF mounts with tabs to mount pod lights, he went with the mount that is offered by KC Lights. I have crazy wind noise and whistle. While I've been able to get most of the whistle out of my set up the wind noise is just crazy retarded. I rode in his jeep this weekend and he has no wind noise and very little whistle coming from his light / mount combo. I'm about to switch to the same mounts because I can't stand how loud it has gotten. My question is did they change anything on the Jeep from 2010 to 2013 that would make it possible for me not to get the same results if I switch to the same mounts?
Old 04-14-2014, 06:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

I use the hmf on my 50". As long as the gasket material is lined up correctly and the bolts are tight you shouldn't get noise from the mount. The baron the other hand....

Call rigid angel them your bar makes noise. Doesn't matter if it's a rigid or not. They have a damper that keeps the wind flap and whistle down 99%. If it doesn't fit off thebat, shavethedamper down with abandsaw
Old 04-16-2014, 04:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone have any more input on this?

Also, to the people who have HMF mounts, how do they fit for you, ours appear to have some pretty good distance between the mount and the jeep itself. The bottom of course is attached firmly, but it seems like from the base of them they have an outward bow to them.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mbpike
Anyone have any more input on this? Also, to the people who have HMF mounts, how do they fit for you, ours appear to have some pretty good distance between the mount and the jeep itself. The bottom of course is attached firmly, but it seems like from the base of them they have an outward bow to them.
I'm running HMF 50" brackets with tabs and eBay 50" bar

I love the set up... But the wind buffering is stupid loud with a soft top

I can live with the noise, since it's a weekend toy and summer vehicle (no top). But I don't think I'll be able to handle the wind noise when we take it to Moab in Aug.
Driving 600+miles a day... I'm might lose my mind... Lol

I have experimented this evening, turning the bar 45* and facing it down. Now that is my solution for ALL DAY HWY DRIVING. Seems like it helps, and since I'm not going to having it on during the day... It won't hurt.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2652165182.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	546338

Name:	image-1966897308.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	546339

Name:	image-1228369976.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	546340

Name:	image-1398581149.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	546341
Old 04-16-2014, 09:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Most likely u and ur buddy have the bars at slightly different angles id bet. Try the door trim on the fins, got rid of all my noise
Old 04-16-2014, 09:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

They say the door trim works on the light bar I haven't tried it but I have friends that have and seems to work. I have PS brackets and no wind noise from them the only time I get a whistle from my lights bar is from cross wind but it is minor.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'll try the door trim mod, I was always under the impression that was for the whistle not air noise. But at this point I'll try anything.

I'm really starting to think a lot of the noise is coming from the damn round holes in the mount brackets themselves.

Quick Reply: 50" bar lights and the dreaded whistle. Does the year model make a difference?