Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Additional interior LED lights

Old 07-12-2013, 10:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks very much for the extra detail Umpah, very much appreciated. When I'm done (maybe this weekend), I'll post some photos here. Not too thrilled with dropping the light bar but as I want to add the extra set of LED's facing back looks like that's what I'll do. When I ordered the lights, the only two choices (for white lights) were cool white and warm white. The "cool" seemed a bit brighter.

Indeed, who has metric drill bits, LOL.

Thanks again too for the great idea.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cloddhopper
I'm not sure how you all are getting around the CANBUS system. I installed bulbs in the dome lights and it killed my battery. At first it seemed OK until I let the jeep sit over the weekend in garage. Got in Monday morning and battery was dead. I took off the light covers and noticed all the LED bulbs were very dimly lit. It's as if the power was continuously on at a low voltage?? Either way, dead cell on battery for a 12' wrangler. $160 lesson (actually $180 with bulbs). Has anyone else had issues? These bulbs were purchased at the same place as OP.
I replaced my dome lights with LEDs last month. It literally took 2 minutes. I haven't had one issue. Something else is wrong
Old 07-20-2013, 01:30 PM
JK Newbie

So I just hooked them up. The first one went in no problem, the second one, while screwing it in screwed the wires right off the back. I attempted to cut the bolt (they are metal) to save it, made it three, then fought with the silicone, no dice. So be careful screwing in the lights :( I did wire this to the dome light (just one pointed at the 45 degree turn). I think I will get 3 more and put them facing down on each side and in the middle and wire it to a switch.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Neral22
So I just hooked them up. The first one went in no problem, the second one, while screwing it in screwed the wires right off the back.
Bummer, but only a $5 bummer.

I would suggest that instead of screwing them in (because, as you learned, you can only twist the wires so many times), you push the bolt light in and use a bit of glue on the threads near the lip of the light to hold them in place. If your hole size is just right, I don't think they'll come out.

It's your Jeep, but before you start drilling holes in your sound bar, you might want to try the 2 lights facing forward for a while and see if it is sufficient or not. For me, between the LED in the dome light and 2 bolt lights, I think it's a sufficient amount of light. But like I said, it's your Jeep.

I just did a camping trip, and I was particularly glad to have the 1 light facing to the back controlled with a toggle switch. I always sleep in the back of the JKUR, and it was just the right amount of light to find my stuff in the night or read a book before nodding off.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:04 PM
JK Newbie

Bump as this is a great mod! Thanks Grand Umpah!!!
Old 10-22-2013, 04:17 AM
JK Newbie

Opps..............
Old 10-22-2013, 09:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 5.00

5 bucks is sweet, I'd plaster these things all over the jeep and my boat.

my TJ had lighted footwells, my JK does not... hmmm... both Rubicons...

has anyone mounted these under the side view mirrors? so when you unlock the doors you get light around it?

I think they are called puddle lamps. My Tahoe has them factory.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
5 bucks is sweet, I'd plaster these things all over the jeep and my boat. my TJ had lighted footwells, my JK does not... hmmm... both Rubicons... has anyone mounted these under the side view mirrors? so when you unlock the doors you get light around it? I think they are called puddle lamps. My Tahoe has them factory.
I've seen people do it but not with these. If you give it a shot, be sure to post pictures!!
Old 10-24-2013, 05:47 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls
How would installing lower usage bulbs into the factory dome lights kill your battery or have anything to do with CANBUS? You've got something else going on that we're not privy to.

The bulbs don't draw when they're not on and the system doesn't keep track of that- there's no code for a blub being different in your domes.

Sent from my DROID4
Yeah, I hate it when I get a 'blub' in my dome...
Old 10-24-2013, 08:44 AM
JK Junkie

Good catch and input.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply: Additional interior LED lights