Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Additional interior LED lights

Old 02-13-2015, 03:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the help! The relay option seems prety complex...
Old 02-13-2015, 03:28 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Langeb1
Thanks for all the help! The relay option seems prety complex...
It looks worse than it is. It's mostly just jumpers between relays. Jump all the pin 30s together. Jump two pin 87s together twice. Jump all pin 86s together. Jump 2 pin 85s together and then run 2 wires for the other 2. If you don't have much experience with wiring it can seem daunting. And I understand that. But whichever way you decide to go, you CAN do it. I got your back. I will walk you through it.

You are going to need crimpers for the 3 way switches or relays, and a soldering iron for the diodes. Do you have either of those?

Last edited by 14Sport; 02-13-2015 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:03 AM
JK Junkie

Sorry Grand Umpah, not trying to hijack your thread. Lange, if you want to start a thread for the footwells I will repost in that one and delete this one.

I tested the relay schematic option just to make sure it works and it does. I will have to pick up some diodes to test that version if you want. Anyway, as you can see from the pictures, most of the wiring is just between the relays, which I taped together to keep everything tidy. If I was installing this, I would zip tie them instead.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DomeFootwellRely 001 (Medium).jpg
Views:	2471
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	596888   Click image for larger version

Name:	DomeFootwellRely 002 (Medium).jpg
Views:	2400
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	596889   Click image for larger version

Name:	DomeFootwellRely 003 (Medium).jpg
Views:	2419
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	596890   Click image for larger version

Name:	DomeFootwellRely 004 (Medium).jpg
Views:	2338
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	596891   Click image for larger version

Name:	DomeFootwellRely 005 (Medium).jpg
Views:	2480
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	596892  

Last edited by 14Sport; 02-15-2015 at 07:07 AM.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:57 AM
JK Newbie

Default Diodes or Relays

14SPORT: Thanks for all this help! I like the diode option since it's less wires running round but the relay option seems fairly simple to do but with a lot of connectors and splicing. I have crimpers and I can solder so either option is doable. I guess I don't know anything about diodes in reality. I know that the voltage is an issue and there is a direction in which the current flows through them. But I don't know where I would get them or even what type to get.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:54 PM
JK Junkie

14SPORT: Thanks for all this help! I like the diode option since it's less wires running round but the relay option seems fairly simple to do but with a lot of connectors and splicing. I have crimpers and I can solder so either option is doable. I guess I don't know anything about diodes in reality. I know that the voltage is an issue and there is a direction in which the current flows through them. But I don't know where I would get them or even what type to get.
Yeah they only allow current to flow in one direction. You have to make sure the diode rating is higher than the amount of current that will be flowing through them. So in this case, it would be the draw of the LEDs you want to install. LEDs use very little current depending on the lumens used. So if your LEDs use 2 amps, you would get 3 amp diodes for example (most likely they use a lot less, like milliamps). Amazon is a good source for stuff like that. Last week I ordered a 10 pack of 3A diodes from Amazon in case I need to test that setup. Do you already have the LEDs and if so, what is the amperage rating? This is what I ordered.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, there's a trick to soldering them inline in a wire. The leads can be very fragile and break easily from movement if not properly soldered. I can post some pics after I get the diodes of the technique I learned and use. It will involve heat shrinking. I got 3A instead of 1a because the leads are thicker and less fragile.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:55 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sccpdc
To get to the back side of the lights, I assume you have to remove the soundbar with the 6 bolts and wire harness. Once the bar is removed, is that here you can access the upper side of the domes in order to solder the new LED leads?
Old 02-24-2015, 12:04 PM
JK Junkie

To get to the back side of the lights, I assume you have to remove the soundbar with the 6 bolts and wire harness. Once the bar is removed, is that here you can access the upper side of the domes in order to solder the new LED leads?
I think it's just a couple of screws to drop the light. Maybe four. Once it's dropped you should have access to the back.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:39 PM
dog
JK Newbie

14Sport, you're awesome. It's really cool to see someone so enthusiastic to help others out and walk them through this kind of project! I know there are a lot of people out there (like myself) with only a basic understanding of simple circuit design like this, so having someone to walk through the basics and cut out a lot of the guesswork is really valuable.

I plan to adapt some of these circuits for a specialized application... haven't decided on all the details yet (but it involves rock lights, dome, footwell, and some others). I may or may not drop some noob questions on you when I get to that point!

Thanks a ton!!!
Old 02-25-2015, 02:05 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by dog
14Sport, you're awesome. It's really cool to see someone so enthusiastic to help others out and walk them through this kind of project! I know there are a lot of people out there (like myself) with only a basic understanding of simple circuit design like this, so having someone to walk through the basics and cut out a lot of the guesswork is really valuable.

I plan to adapt some of these circuits for a specialized application... haven't decided on all the details yet (but it involves rock lights, dome, footwell, and some others). I may or may not drop some noob questions on you when I get to that point!

Thanks a ton!!!
You're welcome dog. And thanks. Let me know how I can help.

I know many people are afraid of doing small electrical projects like this and I'm trying to show them that they can do it. I wish someone had showed me when I was younger. But at the same time, I want them to do it right and not burn their Jeep down.

And for those who don't know and are interested, this project was continued in Lange's original thread that we brought back from the dead.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...h-side-296351/

Last edited by 14Sport; 02-25-2015 at 02:45 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I did this modification today and it works great! You can read my write-up here: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...6/#post4074815

Here is a couple pictures of the completed project!

Thanks for the idea!!

Quick Reply: Additional interior LED lights