Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Aftermarket Fog Lights to Factory Harness?

Old 10-16-2009, 05:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Fog Lights to Factory Harness?

Ok...long story short. Ditched the factory bumper with the Mopar fog lights on my 2007 JK Unlimited Sahara. Upgraded the bumper and would like to be able to wire in after market fog lights to operate off of the factory light switch on the tree.

Electricity isn't my thing but if someone can tell me what the color coding is on factory harness wires I believe I should be able to cut off the factory connections and wire in the after market lights I want to use directly.

Has anyone done this? Can anyone tell me which wire is what on the factory harness? Thanks!
Old 10-18-2009, 05:29 AM
JK Newbie

I am interested as well. Seems like it would rather simple, given the wires are compatible, and knowing which wires are the correct ones if the are different than a standard harness type that is.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want to do this also!! Come on tech guys help us out.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:04 AM
JK Newbie

Well, I did exactly that when in installed my Mopar winch bumper, however it isnt that simple.
The lights I installed are the Warn SB160 and they worked but were very dim.
I can only assume that the factory fog lights have their power controlled by the computer.
What I did to get round this was to use the original fog lamp wires as the trigger for a relay fed from an independant fuse box that I installed.

Now everything works fine.

Regards,

Roger
Old 10-19-2009, 02:19 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

see post #13 this thread: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/fog-light-wiring-help-97885/

the schematic is in that post, also in my gallery --> My.Project-JK Gallery

there are tons of posts on this. the factory wiring won't support aftermarket fogs unless they are identical wattage (which is sadly low) as it is computer controlled. the computer will shut them down.

you can however use one of the hot leads to turn on (trigger) the relay for aftermarket fogs, which is what a lot of us have done.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Fog Lights to Factory Harness?