Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Aftermarket Headunit

Old 09-15-2014, 09:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Headunit

Hey guys,
I have a 2014 polar edition with just the stock radio, nothing special, but looking to upgrade it to a touch screen. Probably either Kenwood or Pioneer and the ones from quadratec seeing that they are plug and play ad makes it simple. My only question is I need a new dash kit so the touch screen will fit but I feel like I can't find it anywhere. Since the stock radio is different then the mopar touch screen, and whatever I buy won't fit. So if you guys can help me out with finding that and anything else I would need for the radio that would be awesome.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:07 AM
JK Newbie

If you buy from crutchfield.com or sonicelectronix.com they include everything you need for the install for free.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can also go to Metra website and look up your vehicle there if you want to find the model number of the dash kit and purchase everything separately and save some money
Old 09-15-2014, 02:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Don't forget the harness to keep your steering wheel controls
Old 09-15-2014, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looked at the companies but can't seem to find what I need, it has plates to fit a double din but days like you may need to trim the top or something for it to fit?

Am I just completely missing it or is that true?
Old 09-15-2014, 04:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm looking at putting one in too. According to crutch field you need to trim the subdash( the metal frame the pretty dash attaches too) is my understanding. From others installs it seems pretty painless. I may order it this week and let you know
Old 09-15-2014, 05:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Awesome yea I saw it said you had to trim something and wasn't sure if I was looking at the right thing or not. If you do buy something and install it let me know how exactly you do it so im aware haha
Old 09-15-2014, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Also another thing I was considering was and please let me know if this is not possible or not worth doing,

Buying the dash kit for the touch screen mopar headunit (I forget what the model is called) and then do I need to buy any real mounting brackets? Or do any trimming?

Or will the new aftermarket touchscreen fit flush into the slot? From the pictures websites have it looks like it fits flush and no problem. I just don't want to have to have brackets showing on the side and want to look flush.

Like I said I could be wrong but just something I thought about
Old 09-16-2014, 05:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by groth797
Hey guys,
I have a 2014 polar edition with just the stock radio, nothing special, but looking to upgrade it to a touch screen. Probably either Kenwood or Pioneer and the ones from quadratec seeing that they are plug and play ad makes it simple. My only question is I need a new dash kit so the touch screen will fit but I feel like I can't find it anywhere. Since the stock radio is different then the mopar touch screen, and whatever I buy won't fit. So if you guys can help me out with finding that and anything else I would need for the radio that would be awesome.
Crutchfield is how I am going to do it on my 2014 Rubicon, Kenwood Excelon DDX5901HD with Idatalink adaptor. Crutchfield will sell you everything you need. This radio has some extra features, like tire pressure funtion. Watch this video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XswunOmWvXs .
Old 09-16-2014, 06:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by itchy17
Crutchfield is how I am going to do it on my 2014 Rubicon, Kenwood Excelon DDX5901HD with Idatalink adaptor. Crutchfield will sell you everything you need. This radio has some extra features, like tire pressure funtion. Watch this video... YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XswunOmWvXs .
That's actually pretty cool and I am interested! When you install it please post some pictures and how you like it. And when installing try and take some pictures of how it goes in and what you have to trim. Because that would be a huge help haha

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Headunit