Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Aftermarket Headunit

Old 09-23-2014, 03:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by groth797
That's actually pretty cool and I am interested! When you install it please post some pictures and how you like it. And when installing try and take some pictures of how it goes in and what you have to trim. Because that would be a huge help haha
I should be able to post pictures this weekend, I ordered the setup and will be installing this weekend.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:43 PM
JK Newbie

I just upgraded to the pioneer avic 7000nex and all new alpine speakers. Had it installed through a local guy who ordered everything from crutch field. I shopped around for a while and quite frankly thought the pioneer was the best after testing. I ended up buying the cords and everything for app radio and after install, speakers and the new head unit, it ran me about $2000. The 7000 was about 1100$ but the 5000 and 6000 work well, too. I liked that the screen was larger in the 7000. Crutch field will include the din adapter for you as well so everything is flush. Looks great.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeeprjoe
I just upgraded to the pioneer avic 7000nex and all new alpine speakers. Had it installed through a local guy who ordered everything from crutch field. I shopped around for a while and quite frankly thought the pioneer was the best after testing. I ended up buying the cords and everything for app radio and after install, speakers and the new head unit, it ran me about $2000. The 7000 was about 1100$ but the 5000 and 6000 work well, too. I liked that the screen was larger in the 7000. Crutch field will include the din adapter for you as well so everything is flush. Looks great.
Thanks you, what radio did you have previously? Did you have Jeep's stock radio or the touchscreen?
Old 09-26-2014, 06:19 PM
JK Newbie

So today I installed the ddx5901 in the jeep. I had to make a few calls to crutchfield as the wiring diagram wasn't exactly correct all of the color coding is correct but some of the wire location is not exactly correct. (location were off of another harness) Had to trim a little plastic so the radio will fit. I have one thing that I will finish up this week. The look and fit is great, the mirror link is awesome. I now have a Nav radio for the cost of the radio. I will wait to add the vehicle features on Monday as I didn't want to splice into the factory wiring for the OBDII. I bought an extension cord off Amazon(8.99) to plug into the OBDII port and then splice the two wires into the cord.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:18 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks you, what radio did you have previously? Did you have Jeep's stock radio or the touchscreen?
I only had the stock radio, non navigation.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:19 AM
JK Newbie

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	577492
Originally Posted by jeeprjoe
I only had the stock radio, non navigation.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:30 PM
JK Newbie

I installed the pioneer avh-x2600bt with all new pioneer speakers. I have an 2011 and purchased all items on amazon and did install myself. Fits great. Only issue I had was the optional rear view camera...works manually but not when I go into reverse. Otherwise it's a easy job to do yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 10-06-2014, 08:00 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm selling my pioneer avic-x930bt with everything you'll possibly need to make it work like it came stock in your jeep. Lmk if you want to save a few hundred dollars and get a great flawless setup!
Old 10-06-2014, 10:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome yea I saw it said you had to trim something and wasn't sure if I was looking at the right thing or not. If you do buy something and install it let me know how exactly you do it so im aware haha
You can remove the rear metal bracket, but its a pain in the ass... I installed a single DIN HU and my CB in the dash and that bracket had to be removed to fit everything.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have pioneer avh-3600bhs. Having problems with it. Started seperate thread. I think it's down the food chain a bit in pioneer line. But I use my nexus 7 for just about everything. For the price it can't be bear for a jeep. Have tq app and download Allan's before you go. WTch news all my music. I got the double dinn for cameras alone. But when you turn on the reverse camera and start driving you have to turn it off or u have a dark screen because it's switched off back up lights. Need to just hook it to a constant power. Stupid set up. Then to use app radio (hooking phone up to it) you have to buy a propoatary cable an iPhone tv out and hook up a bunch of the wires. You would think with today's tech you could just plug the iPhone in and use what you want but like I said its a lower model. Not recommended. I wouldn't recommend a double dinn for off road maps. Here is set up
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2393598616.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	578784  

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Headunit