Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Alarm Going Off by Itself? Why??

Old 10-17-2011, 08:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Alarm Going Off by Itself? Why??

Anyone had problems with your alarm going off by itself?? It just started today, I noticed when I came out of Best Buy that my parking lights and tail lights were flashing on their own without me touching the key fob, the Jeep was also telling me that one of my doors was not closed, I went around the Jeep opening and slamming the doors, then pushed on them for extra measure and still the gauge read that a door was open, after a few minutes it turned off. Later I went to another shopping complex with my wife (locked my Jeep with the fob) When I returned I noticed the lights started doing the same flashing again, unlocked the Jeep and drove home. Tonight, 3 times my Jeep's alarm has gone off by itself without anyone even being around it, no touching of the "Panic" button on the fob or anything. I finally had to unlock the Jeep to disengage the alarm on the Jeep, manually lock the rear and front doors so I wouldn't wake up my neighbors anymore.

Anyone have any clue why my Jeep could possibly be possessed? Anyone have this problem? Could it be water damage to the system or something? Only other things i've done today was take it through a car wash this morning and get my lift retightened at a local off-road shop but it was running fine all day until late this afternoon.

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!!

Jeep is a 2011 4 door Rubi
Old 10-17-2011, 08:37 PM
JK Newbie

Try disconnecting the door electrical systems to see if the issue keeps occurring, if it stops then you know you at least have a wiring problem.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just had this problem with an older Cherokee. Turned out to be the rear passenger door button. Never really used it and for some reason when you open the door, the button would not pop out. Pulled it out and tested it and it was bad. (In my case, it wasn't setting off the alarm, it was leaving the inside lights on)
Now, I know there are not pop out button switchs on the Wranglers but it could be a bad sensor inside of one of the doors. Thats why the above poster suggests to disconnect each door, one by one to determine if it is a bad magnetic sensor. Or a maybe a pinched wire going to one of them. Only other thing could be the alarm system control module. But if the FOB is working to lock/unlock and alarm then its probably not that.

Question ? have you ever taken the doors off ? Maybe recently ? Check all the door connections and make sure none of them are cockeyed.

Last but not least, if it continues after doing/checking all that, try disconnecting the negative on the battery to maybe reset the control module. If none of that works then a 2011 Rubi should be under warranty.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks kinoka2k and Bmorejeep08 for the swift replies! I can work some mechanically but electrical work is definately not my forte. So, I went to the dealership and im scheduled to bring it in on Thursday for them to look at, they said it is most likely the pins in the door or the sensor module for the alarm system? I also needed them to turn of the "Change Oil" indicator message on my guage, he told me to turn the Jeep off, turn the key to the on position (accesories) but not turned over to ignition, pump the gas 4 times, turn off the Jeep completely and then start the Jeep and it'll reset it. (Not 100% positive on the last two steps because I was in a hurry but either way I couldn't help but laugh). Again, thanks for all the replies. Like Bmorejeep08 had mentioned, the Jeep is obviously still under warrenty so hopefully it'll all work out.

-Jon
Old 10-18-2011, 02:44 PM
JK Newbie

Doing things in some models of jeeps is like entering a god code for a video game, ever tried to turn off hill-start assist in a 2010 sport? Its quite fun you should try it lol...best of luck to your issue.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For some strange/unknown reason, my mom's commander, liberty and Cherokee all did the same when the battery was running low. All three, totally different years and models acted the same way. We could never figure it out, but it let us know when the battery was going dead before it left us stranded. I've never had an issue with my JK but couldn't figure out my moms for years. I do have an optima yellow top in my JK though. Might be the reason why I don't have issues...
Old 12-31-2011, 04:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just leaving an update in case anyone else may have this problem in the future.

Turns out the Jeep just needed a "updated" flash to fix the issue. Not sure how a 2011 would already have out dated programming but it was a easy fix from the dealership that took no more than 30mins. Along with that they also corrected the speedo as well as giving me back alittle, and right now alittle seems like alot, of power back.

Thanks all for the suggestions and input, hope all this advice can help others in the future!
Old 01-05-2012, 07:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am going through the same thing with my 2012. I had it in yesterday and they changed out a wire that they said was "rotten". Seemed fine until 1:30 am when the alarm was going! It is going back in today, I am hoping they get it this time!
Old 01-06-2012, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ravenswood
I am going through the same thing with my 2012. I had it in yesterday and they changed out a wire that they said was "rotten". Seemed fine until 1:30 am when the alarm was going! It is going back in today, I am hoping they get it this time!
x2 on hoping they get it figured out, I know how annoying it is. Best of luck!
Old 01-08-2012, 02:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've been having the same problem. The first time i noticed the problem was when the alarm would go off by itself. Then the Door ajar indicator in the dash would go crazy while i would drive. Check it out in the video below. I certainly going to bring the JK to the dealer tomorrow and get this checked out. What i also noticed was that some settings changed. For example the auto lock option. Once you unlock it and open the door, the doors would lock automatically. I had locked my key inside i usually always leave my key inside the JK when i park it in my garage!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEe0i3NuWHk&feature=youtu.be

Quick Reply: Alarm Going Off by Itself? Why??