Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Mygig video output cable

Old 01-25-2009, 08:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mygig video output cable

I just purchased a mygig from fleabay to replace my awful stock stereo. I want to hook up headrest monitors or one 7" screen. I am looking for the easiest way to run video to the back. From what I can tell mygig supports rear video without a need for the Lockpick. Would this cable from the Lockpick retailers be the correct one:

It also has video input wires for ipods and consoles that require the lockpick, but that doesn't matter to me.

As usual, thanks in advance.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:29 AM
JK Freak

it might not require lockpick to have video in, though, since you can add a backup camera, or VES (video entertainment system)

however, for those to work, it seems to need a flash from the dealer.

moreover, I can't answer the important question... if that adapter would work... but I'd be interested to know, since I to just recently upgraded to MyGig
Old 01-25-2009, 08:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

That adapter should work for "basic" video out.
IT's not the same as VES, since that has different audio options, rear controls, etc etc.
The video "input" won't work (well, it will "work") how you want it to.
The mygig will treat that input as a rear camera I think. SO you'll see the picture when in reverse
It would not need a flash from the dealer for any of the options you'd get from that harness.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:09 AM
JK Newbie

I believe in order to have video out you would have to have the dealer program it with Star Scan to have the VES option. I know with the lockpick inplace ( I have one installed with headrests) it enables the VES menus in the MyGig. There are different audio and video output option from the MyGig. It works like factory VES, you can output at DVD, AM, HD, FM, and SAT out to the headrests.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:59 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't use any video out or camera or anything without having the dealer turn it on with starscan. Once they do that you can use the VES. If you just want to plug into the pins on the C# plug Pin 6 and 7 will give you video out and 3&4 are camera.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

There appears to be a bit of disagreement on this.

Some say it works straight up and others think I will need VES enabled or turned on with starscan from the dealer or a lockick to enable all.

Hmmmm...... I guess I can fill you all in when I start playing around with it next week.

Odds are I will be buying the cable and the damn lockpick.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

well, with the OE VES, if you plug it in, it will "give a shout out" on the canbus to let everyone know it's there.
Once it's done that, the mygig will notice and activate the full ves.
No starscan needed.

As for this cable, I was assuming it would just output the default, but it might be something squirrelly with the canbus saying "I'm in a JK, I won't have monitors"

Get the cable and try it? (or you can hit junkyards for a wrecked minivan with the ves?)
Old 01-25-2009, 05:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nosmr2
There appears to be a bit of disagreement on this.

Some say it works straight up and others think I will need VES enabled or turned on with starscan from the dealer or a lockick to enable all.

Hmmmm...... I guess I can fill you all in when I start playing around with it next week.

Odds are I will be buying the cable and the damn lockpick.

You won't regret the lockpick, I had the same feeling until I installed it.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:55 AM
JK Freak

Why not just hook an oscilloscope to the white connector pins 6 (video1 signal) and 7(common) and slap in a DVD while parked with e-brake on and see what happens...

Quick Reply: Mygig video output cable