Alpine system

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Alpine system

  1. #1
    JK Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Vic
    Posts
    58

    Default Alpine system

    I've got a 2012 sport on its way and am about to order a new sound system to put in when it arrives, have done a bit of a search and think ive come up with something which will fit in the stock holes, would like to get an opinion on the parts though and am still kind of confused about the stock amp location - I've seen kind of mixed reports and am not sure if my model has an amp, where it is located or what dimensions it is. Heres what I'm planning

    HU - IDA 305S Alpine Electronics of Australia
    Fronts - Type X Comp Alpine Electronics of Australia
    Sound bar - Type R Coax Alpine Electronics of Australia
    Sub - Type R 8" Alpine Electronics of Australia
    Amp - PDX V9 Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

    Will be doing the polyfill mod as well.

    I'm basically going with alpine because I had their stuff in a previous car and loved it, I went with lower end stuff than this though due to having less cash to spend and equipment being effectively double the price due to a poor aus dollar. Budget is circa 2 grand which I can sort this setup out for, dont mind spending a bit more if theres a better alternative. I would like to keep modifications to stock mounts at an absolute minimum.

    So basically - will this fit? still a bit unsure about that sub and amp in factory mounts... Also is anyone running imprint!? Where do you have it mounted?

    Thanks guys

  2. #2
    JK Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    152

    Default

    Unless your jk comes with the infinity system there is no amplifier it runs straight off the factory deck. If it has infinity:
    1. You wasted your money
    2. The amplifier is located under the steering wheel and is horrible.

    Anything alpine that u put in will be good, although I know from installing experience that some of the alpine amplifiers are faulty and burn out real quick. They have probably fixed the problem by now but still do some homework!
    My recommendation would be:
    1. infinity kappa one 4 channel amp
    2. 12" infinity kappa sub
    3. Infinity kappa components
    4. Infinity 6 1/2 kappa's in the bar

    Sounds amazing but no matter what anyone says its all personal preference!

  3. #3
    JK Freak TheTerminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nevillebartos View Post
    So basically - will this fit? still a bit unsure about that sub and amp in factory mounts... Also is anyone running imprint!? Where do you have it mounted?

    Thanks guys
    Your setup looks good. Your speakers will fit. The sub I'm not sure as I have no experience with the stock sub enclosure. If it's plastic, chances are it's too soft and will flex under pressure. Also, make sure it has enough airspace for your sub.

  4. #4
    JK Freak TheTerminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2012JUS View Post
    My recommendation would be:
    1. infinity kappa one 4 channel amp
    2. 12" infinity kappa sub
    3. Infinity kappa components
    4. Infinity 6 1/2 kappa's in the bar

    Sounds amazing but no matter what anyone says its all personal preference!
    It would certainly work, but I don't see why you're recommending Infinity Kappa over top of the line Alpine speakers?

  5. #5
    JK Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Vic
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2012JUS View Post
    Unless your jk comes with the infinity system there is no amplifier it runs straight off the factory deck. If it has infinity:
    1. You wasted your money
    2. The amplifier is located under the steering wheel and is horrible.
    No infinity system, the space should still be there though right?

  6. #6
    JK Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Vic
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Hrm Ive heard of people fitting the PDX 5 in the stock location, dimensions of the V9 are very similar so if one fits the other should too. Just cant seem to find anything that really confirms this, or even the dimensions of the infinity amp. Might have to hold off on ordering and measure up myself. If anyone has these measurements though it would be really helpful.

    Wakeboard speakers are an interesting idea, how do they sound with the roof on? Do they get in the way of anything?

  7. #7
    JK Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheTerminator

    It would certainly work, but I don't see why you're recommending Infinity Kappa over top of the line Alpine speakers?
    I like the kappa series the most out of anything I've installed so far, this is just "my personal preference" and kappa subs (up here in Canada) in the winter are one of the better ones to have cause they have a glass weaved cone in the center that has been dropped, frozen and tested at 100watts over its regular power for 10hrs or more before it leaves the factory. And when it's -40C outside and u turn that key you do not want a plastic cone to crack on the first bump!

  8. #8
    JK Freak TheTerminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2012JUS View Post
    kappa subs (up here in Canada) in the winter are one of the better ones to have cause they have a glass weaved cone in the center that has been dropped, frozen and tested at 100watts over its regular power for 10hrs or more before it leaves the factory. And when it's -40C outside and u turn that key you do not want a plastic cone to crack on the first bump!
    I don't think that OP needs to worry about that in Australia. Also, the Alpine Type R cone is not made of plastic.

  9. #9
    JK Freak TheTerminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nevillebartos View Post
    Hrm Ive heard of people fitting the PDX 5 in the stock location, dimensions of the V9 are very similar so if one fits the other should too. Just cant seem to find anything that really confirms this, or even the dimensions of the infinity amp. Might have to hold off on ordering and measure up myself. If anyone has these measurements though it would be really helpful.
    I have a JL Audio XD 500/3 amp, which is slightly smaller. It was still too big for the amp mounting plate, although it might have worked if I really wanted to make it work. The reason I didn't mount it there was because it was tight, and even tighter with all the extra wiring I have in there from the aftermarket alarm; it would be a major pain to adjust the amp; and ventilation is worse with a more closed in space and heater outlets nearby. I installed it instead in an open area, with easy access and lots of airflow. These small amps seem to get a bit hotter to touch than bigger sized amps. Maybe also check out the "kick panel" area on the driver side. There should be enough space there. And it shouldn't be too hard to figure out how to mount it there either.

  10. #10
    JK Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Vic
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheTerminator View Post
    I have a JL Audio XD 500/3 amp, which is slightly smaller. It was still too big for the amp mounting plate, although it might have worked if I really wanted to make it work. The reason I didn't mount it there was because it was tight, and even tighter with all the extra wiring I have in there from the aftermarket alarm; it would be a major pain to adjust the amp; and ventilation is worse with a more closed in space and heater outlets nearby. I installed it instead in an open area, with easy access and lots of airflow. These small amps seem to get a bit hotter to touch than bigger sized amps. Maybe also check out the "kick panel" area on the driver side. There should be enough space there. And it shouldn't be too hard to figure out how to mount it there either.
    ah yeah ive seen that amp mentioned as well, if its smaller and still isnt going to fit nicely then stock mounting location is probably out. Ill look into the kick panel, whered you end up mounting yours?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheTerminator View Post
    I don't think that OP needs to worry about that in Australia. Also, the Alpine Type R cone is not made of plastic.
    yep not going to see super low temps, maybe -10C when parked up at the snow, anything of reasonable quality should be fine i suspect


    Also have another question for you guys about steering wheel interface, I'm seeing places recommend both PCI SWI-JACK and Axxess ASWC, do I need both of these or is it one or the other? Anyone using them?
    Last edited by nevillebartos; 06-18-2012 at 10:13 PM.

  11. Default JK-Forum


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •