Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Ambient Temperature Readout

Old 10-26-2014, 03:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ambient Temperature Readout

(2009 JKU) The dash readout was 47 degrees when I got to the trail. It continued to read 47 degrees all day, even though the temperature rose to the 60's. Does low-range and/or low-air alarm interrupt the temperature read-out. Once aired-up and in high-range to head home, the temperature readout was no longer frozen at 47 degrees.

I can find nothing in the owners manual addressing this.

Anyone else?
Old 10-26-2014, 03:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow I thought I was crazy when this happened. The high was supposed to be 51 on the last day we went offroading. Dash temp was frozen at 42 all day long. Didn't really think much of it but interesting so see someone else with the same phenomenon. Would love to know the reason.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:44 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

In an effort to prevent the temp sensor from displaying the temperature of the air coming through the grill from the hot engine bay, the computer will not update the reading until the Jeep has been driven over 20 mph for 3 consecutive minutes. Once it updates, it will go on hold again if your speed drops below the threshold.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:50 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
In an effort to prevent the temp sensor from displaying the temperature of the air coming through the grill from the hot engine bay, the computer will not update the reading until the Jeep has been driven over 20 mph for 3 consecutive minutes. Once it updates, it will go on hold again if your speed drops below the threshold.
Sweet. Thanks for the info. Learn something new everyday!
Old 10-26-2014, 04:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the key is to go over 20mph off-road then? Who wants to try that at Rausch Creek?
Old 10-26-2014, 04:44 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Billbikes
So the key is to go over 20mph off-road then? Who wants to try that at Rausch Creek?
Maybe on the E or H trials. But that's about it!

Quick Reply: Ambient Temperature Readout