Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Android 6.2 GPS DVD Player Navigation For JK / Insane Jeep ,Pumpkin and Ouku

Old 05-17-2015, 05:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Android 6.2 GPS DVD Player Navigation For JK / Insane Jeep ,Pumpkin and Ouku

Android 6.2 GPS DVD Player Navigation For Jeep Wrangler

I'm seeing this same dvd receiver (made by different brands ... Insane Jeep , Pumpkin and Ouku) on ebay and Amazon from anywhere in between $280 and $1000 (do the research)

I was wondering if anybody has bought one of these units and if so what was their impression of it? I'm also a full on Apple guy for the last 15 years, so I was wondering how the Android OS is? Is it easily customized? Any known limitations? Some also come with a rear camera and I wonder how hard the installation is.

Let me know, thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	71BkWf416SL._SX450_.jpg
Views:	4197
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	611213  
Old 05-20-2015, 10:30 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Unlimited_X
Android 6.2 GPS DVD Player Navigation For Jeep Wrangler

I'm seeing this same dvd receiver (made by different brands ... Insane Jeep , Pumpkin and Ouku) on ebay and Amazon from anywhere in between $280 and $1000 (do the research)

I was wondering if anybody has bought one of these units and if so what was their impression of it? I'm also a full on Apple guy for the last 15 years, so I was wondering how the Android OS is? Is it easily customized? Any known limitations? Some also come with a rear camera and I wonder how hard the installation is.

Let me know, thanks.
I run one in my '14 (around $350, plug in play version). Sound wise it's a step up from the OEM system. I have mine paired to a 400w amp, new Kicker speakers and a pair of Basslinks in the cargo area. Top down, doors off at 70 I'm running the volume on 15-17. All in all I'm very pleased with it, I'm no audiophile, but with the HU, amp, speakers and subs, my sound is very clean. All my steering wheel controls, etc work also.

I'm also an apple guy, and personally I hate the android OS, but in this case it allows me to do what I need to do. Back Country Topo Maps, GPS Navi, Torque app, gas buddy, two separate trail cams with record, back up cam, etc.

Last edited by Level 10 Off Road; 05-20-2015 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:12 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Level 10 Off Road
I run one in my '14 (around $350, plug in play version). Sound wise it's a step up from the OEM system. I have mine paired to a 400w amp, new Kicker speakers and a pair of Basslinks in the cargo area. Top down, doors off at 70 I'm running the volume on 15-17. All in all I'm very pleased with it, I'm no audiophile, but with the HU, amp, speakers and subs, my sound is very clean. All my steering wheel controls, etc work also.

I'm also an apple guy, and personally I hate the android OS, but in this case it allows me to do what I need to do. Back Country Topo Maps, GPS Navi, Torque app, gas buddy, two separate trail cams with record, back up cam, etc.
Can you use the steering wheel buttons?
Old 05-21-2015, 06:32 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by AUSyTyIN
Can you use the steering wheel buttons?
Yes, all steering wheel controls work as before.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just googled this. Looks pretty decent. I'm interested for the price. Also interested in others inputs!
Old 05-21-2015, 12:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So correct me if I'm wrong, but this one is a knockoff version of the Insane Jeep headunit that costs $1,000? It looks slightly different in terms of button labels. How is the interface? This guy does a review on the Insane Jeep one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9k7...ature=youtu.be

~$350 sounds awesome for a 6" touch screen head unit with USB/Nav/Steering controls etc.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:43 PM
Former Vendor

These have been around a lot longer than Insane Jeeps JK-01 unit. Looked into them back in 2013.

Ostensibly the same as the 1000 HU. I think Insane tweaks the OS a little and may include a few apps. But honestly it isn't anything that you can't pull off the play store that I can tell.

Michael @ Level 10
Old 05-21-2015, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

So which exact unit do you have? That is a great price considering the features. I'm asuming these are all made in China so wonder how they will hold up and what kind of warranty they come with?
Old 05-21-2015, 09:27 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan0260

So which exact unit do you have? That is a great price considering the features. I'm asuming these are all made in China so wonder how they will hold up and what kind of warranty they come with?
I'm wondering the same thing.... I have the factory DVD nav in my 2010 and the screen is going bad, this is a good price... I'd like one for this much
Old 05-22-2015, 06:49 AM
Former Vendor

If you look at the details you will see there are only a few different versions. They are all made in the same factory in GZL province in China, so whig you choose basically comes down to OS and faceplate. They have one with Windows something, which I wouldn't trust to run correctly more than 70% of the time, and two versions of Android, 2.xx and 4.2.2 Jelly Bean. Faceplate style, there are a couple of different styles depending on who they are suppling. As long as you pick up one of the Plug N Play versions for the JK everything else comes down to your personal preference. I'll post up pics of my JB 4.2 in a few sec's will be a couple different replies since I'll be doing cell pics, I'll attempt a Vid with sounds first but not sure if I'll be able to upload without hosting it on YT or some such.

Warranty... These are Chinese... so pretty much the same warranty you see on all the chela light bars that have flooded the market. There's one in writing, but getting any support or warranty fulfillment is up in the air. Personally I say don't rely on it, and keep that in mind if you purchase. If warranty is that important to you skip the $300 HU and go with the Insane version.

Quick Reply: Android 6.2 GPS DVD Player Navigation For JK / Insane Jeep ,Pumpkin and Ouku