Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Android Based Head Unit Anyone?

Old 12-09-2014, 10:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Android Based Head Unit Anyone?

On my other car forum lots of guys are going on and on about the Android based head units now available for cars like the Ca-Fi Dashlinq. Given that it supports true GPS navigation, USB input, OBDII readers (for Torque and similar apps), and can run pretty much anything right off the Android Play store I'm seriously considering one.

I'm about to order my 2015 Rubicon and was debating between going this route or going with the 430N. For the price this seems a vastly superior option. The only thing I seem to get with the 430N other than the warranty is true satellite radio vs streaming. I don't know that it's enough to justify the cost difference.

Thoughts?
Old 12-09-2014, 11:05 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Have you checked out tablets like the Nexus 7? Running pure, unalduterated Android, there is no vendor trying to lock you into their ecosphere. Though out of production, you can find 32-GB models for $130-150. Not my best production, but this will give you some idea of its utility ...

Nexus 7 Install in Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited, Se…: http://youtu.be/k6UolIlksZs
Old 12-09-2014, 11:19 AM
JK Super Freak

I've seen that done on the FRS/BRZ forum I frequent including one guy who fabbed up his own double dinn mounting bracket and recessed a head unit behind it he used as an amp.

To my understanding the CA-FI unit doesn't lock you into a specific set of apps like the Pioneer App Radio or the Parrot Asteroid. Instead you can use any app available from the app store. I liked the "finished" look of the CA-FI unit being in the dash and having hardware buttons.

My major concern was the loss of the steering wheel controls.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Have you checked out tablets like the Nexus 7? Running pure, unalduterated Android, there is no vendor trying to lock you into their ecosphere. Though out of production, you can find 32-GB models for $130-150. Not my best production, but this will give you some idea of its utility ...

Nexus 7 Install in Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited, Se…: http://youtu.be/k6UolIlksZs
This is exactly what I want to do. Only thing is, I'd have to have it:

1. In the dash
2. Removable

Originally Posted by Skippman
I've seen that done on the FRS/BRZ forum I frequent including one guy who fabbed up his own double dinn mounting bracket and recessed a head unit behind it he used as an amp.
I saw that build. Very nice job. I only wish someone made one for JKs
Old 12-10-2014, 05:34 AM
JK Super Freak

I was looking specifically at something like the Pumpkin Android Based Head Unit. It's 6.2" capacitive touch, has hardware GPS, a dual core proc, runs true Android and can be flashed to 4.4. It's also a standard dual dinn size which should fit with the appropriate trim kit.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

I haven't looked at stereos in a while but when I put in an aftermarket unit in my truck a few years ago I was able to get an added module to keep my steering wheel controls working. I remember it being a fairly trivial cost as well. I had also looked at android units and found them to be lacking at the time. Its been a few years though and these new ones seem to be a lot better in that they are natively running android, not just some android apps. I have used the Nexus 7 in my JK for navigation and while it has worked I would much prefer to use something built in. With that Pumpkin unit, it says it has built in GPS, I wonder how it would handle Backcountry Navigator and if the GPS signal was strong enough to record a good track.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:14 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I was looking specifically at something like the Pumpkin Android Based Head Unit. It's 6.2" capacitive touch, has hardware GPS, a dual core proc, runs true Android and can be flashed to 4.4. It's also a standard dual dinn size which should fit with the appropriate trim kit.

I have never heard of Pumpkin but that thing looks pretty sweet. I have the base stereo so would add an amp at the same time. I wonder if you get the steel double din box if it could be modified to fit in the Wrangler. Good price point too. The new one comes with kitkat and steering wheel controls.

http://www.autopumpkin.com/2-din-uni...-free-mic.html

Last edited by 14Sport; 12-10-2014 at 06:30 AM.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:33 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

That would be very nice. Of course, I don't have steering wheel controls. Definitely would want it easily removable for security and updating. Also, I use my Nexus 7 to carry permits, campsite reservations, useful .pdf files (Jeep and camera owners manuals, etc) and .jpg images of specialty maps, so the ability to remove it quickly and sit around with others sharing the info is a less obvious need.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
That would be very nice. Of course, I don't have steering wheel controls. Definitely would want it easily removable for security and updating. Also, I use my Nexus 7 to carry permits, campsite reservations, useful .pdf files (Jeep and camera owners manuals, etc) and .jpg images of specialty maps, so the ability to remove it quickly and sit around with others sharing the info is a less obvious need.
Mark, given that I'd stick with what you have. It sounds like the most ideal solution to your problem. They DO make a couple of these units with removable 7" tablet faces but I've heard there's some quality control concerns with the coupler used to mate it to the head unit. IE it's prone to breaking. I'd probably keep stuff like that in a DropBox folder sync'd between the head unit and my phone. Also, I prefer a hardware volume knob after having one without it.

I'm curious how reliable the steering wheel control adapter is. I've used two of those now, one on my old Mini and one on a Dodge Stratus R/T. Both were flaky but I have to imagine with the level of granular customizablity you have on this thing it could be fine tuned.

My reasoning behind persuing this is having my MP3's handy, having several GPS apps to choose from, not having to be locked into NAVTEC's expensive map updates, topo maps, and the OBD II features of it. Toss on a digital copy of the Jeep service manual for good measure and you're looking good. Also, as a HAM I'm kind of interested in this Software Defined Radio tuner.

My co-worker has one and says it's amazingly accurate.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:02 AM
JK Newbie

Not having a control interface from your stock wheel controls to the head unit is a deal beaker for me. also to use many of the features you will need to have it connected to WiFi or a mobile hotspot. I also looked at the 430 for my 2014 Rubi, but it was weak in many area for the price tag, I ended up going with Kenwood DNN770ND that has all the feature one would need in a good head unit, plus it has true Garmin navigation which is extremely good. This unit has many apps that are internet connected but again you need a mobile Hotspot. Steering Wheel integration is a breeze with a PAC SWI unit, it will also replace the CAN bus which is what you need for the bells and whistles to work with Stock. the other plus to the Kenwood is the OBD gauge cluster interface, you can display most of your car data on the head unit.

Quick Reply: Android Based Head Unit Anyone?