Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Android Based Head Unit Anyone?

Old 01-26-2015, 04:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like it and also half the price? Wondering the same thing is it the same as the Insane jk1001
Old 01-30-2015, 08:09 PM
iox
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aside from all the awesome apps like Backcountry Navigator, OBD diagnostics with Torque, and awesome media, as a HAM, you may be interested in APRSDroid. APRSDroid works pretty great and you can use it, well, for APRS, but it can run in the background on the same unit, and will be an added bonus.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:09 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by iox
Aside from all the awesome apps like Backcountry Navigator, OBD diagnostics with Torque, and awesome media, as a HAM, you may be interested in APRSDroid. APRSDroid works pretty great and you can use it, well, for APRS, but it can run in the background on the same unit, and will be an added bonus.
Very nice, thanks.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jkchr1s
I just took the plunge on a similar one, do a search on Amazon for "For Jeep Wrangler 2007-2012/Ourney 2008-2011/Jeep Sebring 2007-2012/300C 2008-2010/Grand Cherokee 2008-2012/Compass 2009-2012/Caliber 2009-2012 Android 4.2.2 Dual Core system multi-Touch Screen Car DVD GPS Navigation Build-In Bluetooth,Radio with RDS,Analog TV, AUX&USB, iPhone/iPod Controls, Steering Wheel Control, Free Map" (don't want to put a direct link in here).

It's scheduled to be delivered today. There are already tons of mods for this HU, Google "HuiFei - 2 DIN Pure Android 4.2.2/4.4.2/4.4.4 RK3066 Car Stereo Radio Head Unit" to see.

These units ship from China, so warranty claims can be very shady. They make them (like the one mentioned above) to be a very close-to-factory look, so at a glance, I'm hoping a thief can't easy distinguish the unit from a stock NAV unit. However, these have pre-programmed CAN bus that are supposedly plug-and-play for steering wheel controls and everything. I have a 2014 with Alpine Premium package Sahara, so I'm wondering if it will interface correctly with the stock amp.

There's also an American reseller, Insane Jeep Audio, that I'm pretty sure simply buys these units (they look 100% identical from the pictures) and sells them with a huge markup. If you look around, this company swears otherwise... but if you take a close look at pictures on their site and forums, you'll notice even down to the wiring harness that the font on the labels, the screen shots, everything is 100% identical.

I'll post a thread once I get the unit in, DHL says it's on the courier's truck for delivery today. Here's a pic:
Attachment 590273Attachment 590272
Curious as to how you like this unit as I'm looking at doing the same.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:07 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jkchr1s
I just took the plunge on a similar one, do a search on Amazon for "For Jeep Wrangler 2007-2012/Ourney 2008-2011/Jeep Sebring 2007-2012/300C 2008-2010/Grand Cherokee 2008-2012/Compass 2009-2012/Caliber 2009-2012 Android 4.2.2 Dual Core system multi-Touch Screen Car DVD GPS Navigation Build-In Bluetooth,Radio with RDS,Analog TV, AUX&USB, iPhone/iPod Controls, Steering Wheel Control, Free Map" (don't want to put a direct link in here).

It's scheduled to be delivered today. There are already tons of mods for this HU, Google "HuiFei - 2 DIN Pure Android 4.2.2/4.4.2/4.4.4 RK3066 Car Stereo Radio Head Unit" to see.

These units ship from China, so warranty claims can be very shady. They make them (like the one mentioned above) to be a very close-to-factory look, so at a glance, I'm hoping a thief can't easy distinguish the unit from a stock NAV unit. However, these have pre-programmed CAN bus that are supposedly plug-and-play for steering wheel controls and everything. I have a 2014 with Alpine Premium package Sahara, so I'm wondering if it will interface correctly with the stock amp.

There's also an American reseller, Insane Jeep Audio, that I'm pretty sure simply buys these units (they look 100% identical from the pictures) and sells them with a huge markup. If you look around, this company swears otherwise... but if you take a close look at pictures on their site and forums, you'll notice even down to the wiring harness that the font on the labels, the screen shots, everything is 100% identical.

I'll post a thread once I get the unit in, DHL says it's on the courier's truck for delivery today. Here's a pic:
Attachment 590273Attachment 590272

How did this go? Most interested.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:31 PM
JK Newbie

Default update?

Any updates? I'm curious as well.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:05 PM
JK Newbie

I'd like to see some reviews of the in dash units. I'm running my Nexus 7 in a RAM mount along with my 60csx. I use my phone as a hotspot for the tablet and Backcountry Navigator's offline maps for everything else.

I've been debating over some of these for a while:

Chinavasion

I've ordered quite a few Android based phones from them in the past and have always had a fantastic experience. Great products, great service and fast shipping. As a matter of fact I just ordered my wife and son new phones two days ago and they'll be here tomorrow according to UPS. I can't get things from inside the US that fast!
Old 03-26-2015, 03:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

These android based headunits are pretty well a tablet in your dash. you park next to your house and can connect wifi and download everything via that way. I would have one in the Jeep, but I love U connect to much. Its the best hands free system available.

Quick Reply: Android Based Head Unit Anyone?