Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Anti-Theft alarm system, theft prevention devices

Old 04-11-2014, 03:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anti-Theft alarm system, theft prevention devices

I'm looking to theft proof my JK but there is so much way to do it I can't decide which one is good.

I heard good things about Viper alarm and Lojack but before throwing money I would like some advices.

I already have the sherlock marking but this is not enough.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Viper and other DEI products are good, you can add shock sensors, ultrasonic or microwave internal sensors. You can use the default siren or add 8 more.

They are standalone systems with great range, can remote start your vehicle and run heat, A\C, rear defrost, tell you the status and temperature on the remote etc.

Lojack etc rely on a service subscription. IF you know your vehicle is stolen you can log on to a web portal and set the status to "missing" or "find" etc and it will provide a location within a certain area\range.

IMHO they are not mutually exclusive and you can have either or both.

Personally I rely on the Viper with a backup battery to monitor the truck and disable the starter etc when in alarm.

That blue blinky light up at the top of the windshield that illuminates the front area tells thieves it would be easier to steal the next vehicle.

Does this mean that thieves wont smash a window and snatch-n-grab? nope.

Are they foolproof? Nope, they can be circumvented, just not by the average moron.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for your advice Unlimited

An inexpensive idea would be to put a kill switch hided somewhere in the vehicle.

Another option is to use an anti-theft spray device in the Jeep. Some have forensic marking (smartwater) and others with pepper spray but the last one is not legal in Canada.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:11 PM
JK Freak

If you go with the LoJack way look into mopars evts system I have it on my jeep and love it. I can pull up my jeep instantly on my app no matter where it's at. And you can add parameters to it as well.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:13 PM
JK Freak

Lojacks range is within a few miles. Evts is within a car length. LoJack gives them 60-90 days to find your vehicle. Evts gives them 24hrs before they right you a check for your jeep here is a picture from the app on my phone.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2663960219.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	545133  

Last edited by White Ghost; 04-12-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I run a clifford (DEI) 2way paging alarm. Doors off 6 months of the year havent had any problems.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Lojack has 90% recovery rate with the standard version but even more with the alert plus version.

It is expensive something like 1000$ but seems like one time fee. No monthly fee.

DEI have nice systems because infinitely upgradable you can add almost as much features and protection as you want.

You can start with a basic 2 way system and add extra protection after, like battery backup and perimeter protection.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WARLOCK
Lojack has 90% recovery rate with the standard version but even more with the alert plus version.

It is expensive something like 1000$ but seems like one time fee. No monthly fee.

DEI have nice systems because infinitely upgradable you can add almost as much features and protection as you want.

You can start with a basic 2 way system and add extra protection after, like battery backup and perimeter protection.
LoJack is $1200 here in Ontario and yes only a one time fee good for 7 years. Heres a link to other types .... A good read how they work and costs....

http://www.edmunds.com/car-technolog...y-systems.html

Last edited by robsjeep9; 04-12-2014 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
LoJack is $1200 here in Ontario and yes only a one time fee good for 7 years. Heres a link to other types .... A good read how they work and costs....

Stolen Vehicle Recovery Systems, LoJack and GPS Tracking - Edmunds.com
It's always more expensive in Ontario

I didn't know that it was for 7 years so this means 170$ per year or 14$ per month...

There is many advantages from Lojack RF technology vs GPS/GSM and the price seems comparable.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:15 PM
JK Newbie

I plan on getting wheel locks, and McGard door-hinge locks to protect the items that can be removed without setting off an alarm.

Hood lock as well.

I need to figure out how to make it to where no one can steal my Hardtop. Maybe fill the bolt-heads with solder. Or changing them to different bolts. Anyone have any ideas?

Quick Reply: Anti-Theft alarm system, theft prevention devices