Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Any value in replacing just soundbar speakers?

Old 04-21-2014, 04:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any value in replacing just soundbar speakers?

I Have a '12 jku with the non touch premium sound system w/sub and looking for some extra sound without replacing the head unit. I understand it won't make a world of difference but what kind of improvement would be heard with just replacing the soundbar speakers? 10% 50% increase or don't waste your time. Also, what are thoughts on the best replace to speakers? Polk, kicker, Boston's, sparkomatics? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zack823
I Have a '12 jku with the non touch premium sound system w/sub and looking for some extra sound without replacing the head unit. I understand it won't make a world of difference but what kind of improvement would be heard with just replacing the soundbar speakers? 10% 50% increase or don't waste your time. Also, what are thoughts on the best replace to speakers? Polk, kicker, Boston's, sparkomatics? Thanks in advance.

Don't waste your time.

Soundbar speakers at behind your head so they pull the soundstage back behind you when you want it in front. You are better served replacing front speakers.

The stock speakers are 2 ohm speakers and most aftermarket speakers are 4 ohm. So if you use the stock head unit to power aftermarket speakers you are actually cutting power in half.

There is a sound limiting feature on Jeeps with hard tops that actually turn the volume of the soundbar speakers down when you unplug the hard top to go topless.

There's three strikes against it.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:01 PM
JK Freak

I changed the front and Sound speakers with Sony 4 way speakers and boy what a difference! I put a Sony woofer to replace the factory one, big difference there too! The only thing is that the road noise is aggravating as always.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:11 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Tried this test once a couple years ago: My Jeep with the RES unit, no premium sound, but Kicker speakers up front. Second Jeep with the Infinity sound system. Turned fade so both Jeeps were putting music only out the front speakers. Used an .mp3 recording of a track with both great bass and cymbals to test both ends of the sound spectrum (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwVycuFB7sc Listen for bass at 22 seconds and cymbals at 3:11). My Jeep sounded great--way better than stock. Second Jeep sounded horrible. Cymbals were distorted, bass was almost totally missing. That track, BTW, sounds absolutely stunning on my home stereo system (4-way Sansui speakers with real woofers not some fake sounding "subwoofer": 16" in diameter).

Conclusion: Replace the front speakers on the "premium sound system" because the loud bass is just masking the terrible audio from the fronts.

Second test: I ran for six months with just the front Kickers and stock sound bar speakers. Dramatic improvement over the all stock arrangement. Finally I got around to buying the sound bar speakers. Absolutely could not tell the difference.

Conclusion: Replacing the sound bar speakers is a waste of money unless you do something to fix the lack of audio power there.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 04-21-2014 at 11:19 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:20 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Mattk11
There is a sound limiting feature on Jeeps with hard tops that actually turn the volume of the soundbar speakers down when you unplug the hard top to go topless.
How does this work? If you don't have the rear window washer, which is an option (in '07 came only with the S-package on X models), there are no electrical connections. How does the Jeep know the top is removed?
Old 04-22-2014, 01:06 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
How does this work? If you don't have the rear window washer, which is an option (in '07 came only with the S-package on X models), there are no electrical connections. How does the Jeep know the top is removed?
may not effect you without electrical connections. There have been many threads explaining the mysterious sound attenuation related to removing the top. Perhaps the dumbest feature of an already poorly executed factory sound system.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:10 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
4-way Sansui speakers with real woofers not some fake sounding "subwoofer"
Thanks, you made my night. Haha
Old 04-22-2014, 04:36 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the info. Definitely switching my train of thought on soundbar replacement. Any thoughts on the best replacement fronts? Any one poly fill the fronts and have decent results? I am going to play with the hard top jumper mod this weekend. I've seen mixed reviews on the boards but for less then a buck, I'll give it a shot. Thanks again all.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:19 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

... Any thoughts on the best replacement fronts? ...
A question such as that will just get you everyone telling you what they bought. And I already told you what I bought. I will say that if you hold a Kicker and an OEM speaker, you can immediately tell the difference. The OEM speaker weighs almost nothing. If you have much experience actually holding a speaker, it immediately comes across as too light weight to adequately perform (speaker performance is driven in part by the weight of the magnet within it). The Kicker feels solid. And it sounds good. My best description for it is it is what any decent OEM stereo system should sound like. It is what both of my previous Ford vehicles sounded like with the cheapest audio systems. It isn't something an audio specialty shop would encourage you to buy, but it does present decent sound. If you want something higher end, then I don't recommend them.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:01 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for all the info. Definitely switching my train of thought on soundbar replacement. Any thoughts on the best replacement fronts? Any one poly fill the fronts and have decent results? I am going to play with the hard top jumper mod this weekend. I've seen mixed reviews on the boards but for less then a buck, I'll give it a shot. Thanks again all.
. Find a reputable store and go listen and chose what sounds good to you. Personally I have used Focal speakers and have in my last 4 vehicles. Their access line can be had for $240 for the front components and $130 for the rear coax speakers. Another company of suggest listening to is Hertz. Both can be bought on Amazon as well. I think there are a lot of other great sounding speakers out there but you have to listen and make the choice that is best for you.

Quick Reply: Any value in replacing just soundbar speakers?