Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

anyone else pay for the map update?

Old 02-28-2014, 10:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone else pay for the map update?

hi all, wondering if there is a consensus on the map update for 730n RHR? i have a 2012 rubi and got a notice that an update was avail. i waited awhile and finally pulled the trigger. $160 with shipping. now my ass kinda hurts but i suspect if i actually open and install this my throat might get sore as well!! on checking around i see alot of unhappy users who screwed up a working system installing this. any happy campers out there?
Old 02-28-2014, 11:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2012 update

the update is locked to your VIN right?

it's a genuine Jeep product, so I don't see how/why it would mess anything up.

that's just a map update right? it doesn't update the actual software?

I have a 2012 as well...
Old 02-28-2014, 09:07 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
the update is locked to your VIN right?

it's a genuine Jeep product, so I don't see how/why it would mess anything up.

that's just a map update right? it doesn't update the actual software?

I have a 2012 as well...
well no its navteq not jeep, and its 2 discs, software and map update. they say its over 2 hrs to load and the engine needs to be running! i still havent found 1 good review. lots of horror stories. yes it is tied to vin. only downloadable 1 time.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subscribed...

my '13 has an update for the maps as well but I've been putting them off for the last 2 months
Old 03-01-2014, 03:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Subscribed too!

I think the newer ones went to Garmin while the earlier ones had a different mapping software.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:21 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is 2009, I have updated software and grace notes but never found that I needed to update the maps.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by zstairlessone
Subscribed too!

I think the newer ones went to Garmin while the earlier ones had a different mapping software.
I believe the 430 is garmin, tho they use navteq map data. navteq is now rebranded as "here".
Old 03-01-2014, 09:59 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by OH9JK
Mine is 2009, I have updated software and grace notes but never found that I needed to update the maps.

yeah im not sure I was thinking clearly when I ordered this update. I doubt they have added much. I will be returning it. so far still have not found anyone to recommend it. mostly sounds like its not well received. lots of freezeups. as far as software disk, it may or maynot be the same as the free one at dealers. I shouldn't be surprised, but I am kind of amazed at the lack of knowledge by any of the entities involved. when I call the people who sold this to me, multiple tries, no one can tell me what is in the box!! and if I open it to find out i cant return it. no idea of data or software version. jeep/chysler also clueless as well as dealer. I now feel that since everything on the unit works, phone connection, voice commands, etc, that a possible few more pois or road corrections are not worth the risk of screwing up connectivity and chasing down a solution. that seems to be the biggest complaint. even navteq (now called "here") admits earlier versions of this update caused system failure and connectivity issues.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:06 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default anyone else pay for the map update?

I downloaded the free software updates to fix a Bluetooth issue with my iPhone. I also updated the Grace Notes software while I was at it.

You have to follow the instructions to the letter. There is risk of "bricking" your head unit.

So unless you are experiencing issues there is no "new gotta have" features you are missing out on.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:02 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by OH9JK
I downloaded the free software updates to fix a Bluetooth issue with my iPhone. I also updated the Grace Notes software while I was at it.

You have to follow the instructions to the letter. There is risk of "bricking" your head unit.

So unless you are experiencing issues there is no "new gotta have" features you are missing out on.
yeah that's kinda what im thinkin. I have no issues cept the well known "loses take me home feature" no biggie there. I know how to get home! I do have a dinosaur iphone 3g which links fine. am wondering tho if I get a 5 I don't think this old sftwr will work? the info on the mygig page seems to only go up to iphone4.

Quick Reply: anyone else pay for the map update?