Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

anyone know much about car audio? What should I expect to spend?

Old 07-30-2014, 06:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default anyone know much about car audio? What should I expect to spend?

My speakers have been becoming a little crackley lately so I'm starting to think about doing the audio system. My only real requirement is a double-din that will run WAZE - I'm not sure if any of the head units run apps independently or if they all just mirror your phone(I have an iphone and most of these systems seem to only mirror android) and I also need a backup camera. Beyond this, I want it to be a simple system that sounds good. I don't want to break the bank too bad, but I'd like it to sound noticably better than stock and have ample power so that when the top/doors are off I don't have to turn the volume all the way up. I have no idea what I'm looking at price wise sound I'm just looking for suggestions and guidance. Unfortunately most of the audio shops around me(Long Island) are very very used car salesman-esque so needless to say I don't really trust anything they tell me.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by etl330
My speakers have been becoming a little crackley lately so I'm starting to think about doing the audio system. My only real requirement is a double-din that will run WAZE - I'm not sure if any of the head units run apps independently or if they all just mirror your phone(I have an iphone and most of these systems seem to only mirror android) and I also need a backup camera. Beyond this, I want it to be a simple system that sounds good. I don't want to break the bank too bad, but I'd like it to sound noticably better than stock and have ample power so that when the top/doors are off I don't have to turn the volume all the way up. I have no idea what I'm looking at price wise sound I'm just looking for suggestions and guidance. Unfortunately most of the audio shops around me(Long Island) are very very used car salesman-esque so needless to say I don't really trust anything they tell me.
I was having the same problem, but i didnt wanna change my radio sense 60% of the time i have my top and door s off and i dont want it to get stolen. but any way i changed out all my speakers for kickers and it was a huge difference over stock. dont really remember how much i spent, but i know it wasnt that much because if it was i would have done it.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:06 AM
JK Junkie

I'm currently working on mine. Kenwood ddx-719 head unit with a polk mm840 sub, polk db 651s for soundbar and soon to get the polk db6501 for the front. Will also get a 5ch amp when I get the front speakers. Hopefully have the deck in today and maybe the sub. Soundbar speakers are in and I can actually hear them now. Will update when the rest is done.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:06 AM
JK Freak

I just bought a Pioneer AVH-4000NEX. Look it up. Fits the bill for what you are looking for and provided all of what I wanted. Installing it tomorrow...
Old 07-30-2014, 10:39 AM
JK Newbie

Default Replaced everything

I have a 2013 JKU sport. I replaced to stereo and went with a single DIN Alpine. Didn't know if I was going to like it not being a Double Din, had it about 8 months and would not change it. The sound bar speakers and dash speaker with tweeters on top have all been changed to Rockford Fosgate. I also disconnected the rear sub and replaced with a 12" Rockford Fosgate sub in a waterproof box. I have a Rockford Fosgate 5 channel 1000 watt amp that I rewired all the speakers to. I bought all new off of ebay. I spent half as much as I would at the dealer. The install was all done by myself and took approx. 1 day. The hardest part was all the speaker wires. Install would probably be around $800 to $1000 I would guess. As the install for the stereo was approx. $400 at the dealer. I bought the stereo from Crutchfield as they send you all mounting hardware and wiring connections with instructions. When the tops off it still sounds great.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:11 AM
JK Freak

thanks for all the replies guys!
Old 07-30-2014, 05:39 PM
JK Newbie

I'm an MECP installer for Best Buy, recently purchased a 2014 JKU Sport, uconnect system, base audio. Hated the poor sound quality. Just installed 4 Polk audio 6.5" (marine grade) good decibel to noise ratio and solid frequency response. To give them a little more punch and also to clean the audio, I also added an inline Alpine Power pack and put it where the factory amp WOULD be if it was included. It's tiny, hides behind the dash and cleans the audio signal before giving a little boost to the speakers. It's perfect right now. Enough punch to cut the road noise with the doors and tops off and it doesn't distort at higher volumes.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default anyone know much about car audio? What should I expect to spend?

I haven't seen one that mirrors the iphone, but, apple has something called carplay, not exactly sure what it does but it's worth looking up I'd say. And for the prices, you can spend any amount between $0 and I don't know, say $5000 on a stereo. I know I got mine for free and it seems like it's going to be a good set-up once I get it installed. It depends on the quality you want. You can even find an older chrysler car with infinity speakers and take the speakers out of it and most likely it will be plug and play with the jk. That's what I did with my 04 durango, direct swap and it's very good sound and volume even with doors and top off, even when I don't have an amplifier. My passengers always think I have subs since the speakers shake the whole car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-30-2014, 10:10 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by alects
I haven't seen one that mirrors the iphone, but, apple has something called carplay, not exactly sure what it does but it's worth looking up I'd say. And for the prices, you can spend any amount between $0 and I don't know, say $5000 on a stereo. I know I got mine for free and it seems like it's going to be a good set-up once I get it installed. It depends on the quality you want. You can even find an older chrysler car with infinity speakers and take the speakers out of it and most likely it will be plug and play with the jk. That's what I did with my 04 durango, direct swap and it's very good sound and volume even with doors and top off, even when I don't have an amplifier. My passengers always think I have subs since the speakers shake the whole car Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CarPlay will be an added feature with a firmware upgrade on the 4000NEX I mentioned above. Supposed to mirror your iPhone to the receiver in which your apps can be displayed and used from the deck... Big reason I wanted this deck.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:38 AM
JK Newbie

Car audio is kinda like buying parts for your rig... the less you spend the more you'll spend later...it sucks I know...

I recently purchased a 14 jku and I'm going to tackle this same project over the weekend.
Here is what I have in mine cost wise

pioneer 5000-nex: 600.00 (this unit has built in nav etc.)
wiring harness for your rig(without factory amp): 180.00 I choose to keep my steering wheel controls
front component speakers rockfords: on sale 100.00
rear sound bar speakers: on sale 125.00
I'm going to make a custom sub box out of fiberglass at a later date.

I was kicking around the idea on keep stock radio and building up due to theft...
however its bolted in just like factory, and honestly if they want it bad enough my insurance will cover it as I have extended coverage for gear.

so before sub, amps etc...
I'm at 1005.00 and I'm installing myself....

save up the pennies and buy once you'll be glad you did in the long run!
that's just my 2.5 cents

-Todd

Quick Reply: anyone know much about car audio? What should I expect to spend?