Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Apple CarPlay receivers - suggestions/comments?

Old 03-11-2015, 01:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by InvAdeReKiM
alright, thank you!

Would you be able to tell me how to install this head unit in my 2014 JKU? I have the stock radio with unconnected but not with gps.. I bought the maestro rr and the ch1 harness for it to use with Jeep, Chrysler and Dodge.
my goal is to be able to keep all of my steering wheel controls and functionality with the EVIC system. (the maestro website says it keeps everything and adds more to it as well..

What about the factory mic for Bluetooth? does this still work with the new Head unit?

thanks in advance!
MY AVIC4000 has BT built in so I use that and no longer use the uconnect so couldnt really answer on that. Also I used the PAC11 harness not maestro. Assuming it is similar youll want to follow the directions within the maestro. The pac harness advised what wire colors were what and so on. I wanted to keep factory AMP til my 5 channel comes in so I wired it like the directions said (rear out from factory harness wired to the pioneer front). The avic pioneers come with a MIC for BT commands and callinfg/etc so I dont think the factory one is used at all,.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:43 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by momentofszen
MY AVIC4000 has BT built in so I use that and no longer use the uconnect so couldnt really answer on that. Also I used the PAC11 harness not maestro. Assuming it is similar youll want to follow the directions within the maestro. The pac harness advised what wire colors were what and so on. I wanted to keep factory AMP til my 5 channel comes in so I wired it like the directions said (rear out from factory harness wired to the pioneer front). The avic pioneers come with a MIC for BT commands and callinfg/etc so I dont think the factory one is used at all,.
OK, I want to use my factory mic instead of installing the new microphone. Has anyone been able to successfully confirm this?
I dont necessarily need to keep uConnect I just want to be able to do the same (hopefully BETTER) commands with SIRI but i want to achieve this by plugging into my Factory Mic.

Thanks!
Old 03-12-2015, 08:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just installed a SPH-DA120 today

http://youtu.be/h6SZUGErX9g
Old 03-12-2015, 09:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the pioneer 8000nex. I love it. CarPlay is cool.

The built in maps with the pioneer is 1000 times better than the CarPlay Apple maps though.

I used a harness, I think it was the maestro. It retains u connect and steering wheel controls perfectly. It does NOT let you reuse the nav or xm receivers or the microphone.

Install was fairly simple.

The screen of the 8000 is beautiful and has the responsiveness of an iPhone. Very nice.

HUGE negative, with the exterior design. The bottom has a lip that can inadvertently trap even the tiniest droplet of water. That's not a good thing in a Jeep.

I've had my unit short out twice this past summer with just a small drizzle getting on the unit. Every time though, the controls would be wonky for about 48 hours, but has returned to normal each time.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:50 PM
JK Freak

I have the NEX4000 in my jeep. Touchscreen responsiveness is great. No issues... If you want iPhone responsiveness in dash you will have lots of oops moments. I had an IPad in-dash and the bumps in the road mess you up. Will update the firmware on mine tomorrow evening. I'll take photos and post them. Had to remove the metal bracket in the dash for the unit to be flush and not stick out so much. Must have for a Jeep if carplay, Bluetooth, and detachable face is desired. Winning...
Old 03-13-2015, 09:15 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by Chadc880
Just installed a SPH-DA120 today

http://youtu.be/h6SZUGErX9g
great video Chad
Old 03-13-2015, 10:13 AM
Former Member

I'm looking into the AVH-4000NEX and found a gret deeal online for $300 shipped with 3 year warranty

Pioneer AVH-X4600BT
Old 03-13-2015, 10:17 AM
JK Freak

Thank you!!!

Does the AVH-X4600BT come now with CarPlay ?? And what pieces do you need to activate the GPS ?
Old 03-13-2015, 10:23 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by Chadc880
Thank you!!!

Does the AVH-X4600BT come now with CarPlay ?? And what pieces do you need to activate the GPS ?
oh wait you are right, that looks to be an older model that came up wrong in my search. forget that model.

But for most people if you aren't living in a large city like LA or NYC then I dont understand why you even need a gps nav.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:31 AM
Former Member

whats the difference between the Pioneer SPH-DA120 and the AVH-4000NEX

Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay receivers - suggestions/comments?