Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Apple CarPlay receivers - suggestions/comments?

Old 03-13-2015, 11:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It appears the SPH-DA120 is strictly a device to work direct with your smart phone where as the NEX models 5000 and up are nav units with a built in cd / dvd player.

And if you look at the 120 in the video it almost looks like an iPad mini or large iPhone compared to an actual head unit.

Still a really neat system and just goes to show how much technology has come in just a few years.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Muscles
whats the difference between the Pioneer SPH-DA120 and the AVH-4000NEX
the main reason i went with the NEX was due to the appreceipts like the DA120 do not allow the sirius tuner.. have to use app... Cant get data signal in desert = no sirius xm
Old 03-14-2015, 08:28 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RHD-Manx2
I have the NEX4000 in my jeep. Touchscreen responsiveness is great. No issues... If you want iPhone responsiveness in dash you will have lots of oops moments. I had an IPad in-dash and the bumps in the road mess you up. Will update the firmware on mine tomorrow evening. I'll take photos and post them. Had to remove the metal bracket in the dash for the unit to be flush and not stick out so much. Must have for a Jeep if carplay, Bluetooth, and detachable face is desired. Winning...
Photos as promised
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2957848176.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	601156   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2543832765.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	601157  
Old 03-14-2015, 10:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RHD-Manx2
Photos as promised

Looks awesome! Did u have to buy the plastic piece surrounding the radio separate?
Old 03-14-2015, 11:09 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by NateSamJK13
Looks awesome! Did u have to buy the plastic piece surrounding the radio separate?
Yes, they come as a pair. $15.00 if I remember correctly.

With CarPlay you can use Waze as your GPS... Or any other app on your phone
Old 08-04-2015, 05:13 AM
JK Newbie

I found this thread when I was trying to decide what to do with my Jeep and now that I've pulled the trigger, I figured I'd post. I was looking for a CarPlay unit and went back and forth between the Pioneer and Alpine. I almost went with the Pioneer as it was available for less if you shopped around, but I ended up finding the Alpine iLX-007 for $150 off as an open box buy @ Best Buy and couldn't pass it up. I liked the idea of the larger screen, dedicated Siri button and preferred Alpine's implementation of CarPlay and the look of their interface and menus. The lack of a physical drive didn't bother me. Turns out, that was a plus. While the plastic on the top of the sub-dash still required trimming, the very small depth of the Alpine unit (3" or so) meant that the rear metal radio bracket didn't need to be removed or modified, and I was able to use that to tie the PAC RP4-CH11 and extra wiring to. I picked up the rest of the stuff I needed on Amazon. Finally, the Alpine mic is perfect to friction fit between the tweeter and a-pillar. I couldn't be happier.

A shot of the harness all soldered and heatshrunk and ready to go:

Installed and running:

Old 11-17-2015, 01:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by en480c4
I found this thread when I was trying to decide what to do with my Jeep and now that I've pulled the trigger, I figured I'd post. I was looking for a CarPlay unit and went back and forth between the Pioneer and Alpine. I almost went with the Pioneer as it was available for less if you shopped around, but I ended up finding the Alpine iLX-007 for $150 off as an open box buy @ Best Buy and couldn't pass it up. I liked the idea of the larger screen, dedicated Siri button and preferred Alpine's implementation of CarPlay and the look of their interface and menus. The lack of a physical drive didn't bother me. Turns out, that was a plus. While the plastic on the top of the sub-dash still required trimming, the very small depth of the Alpine unit (3" or so) meant that the rear metal radio bracket didn't need to be removed or modified, and I was able to use that to tie the PAC RP4-CH11 and extra wiring to. I picked up the rest of the stuff I needed on Amazon. Finally, the Alpine mic is perfect to friction fit between the tweeter and a-pillar. I couldn't be happier.

A shot of the harness all soldered and heatshrunk and ready to go:

Installed and running:

That looks great. Did you keep any steering wheel controls?
Old 11-18-2015, 04:59 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by robbycdmb
That looks great. Did you keep any steering wheel controls?
I kept all of them. The PAC unit works great with the stock programming, but you can also program different functions for the steering wheel controls if you want. I also added the uConnect buttons for the left switches on the face of the steering wheel which gains some additional (limited) functionality... The VR button mutes all audio, which is nice at a drive through or the like, and the phone button answers calls, but unfortunately won't initiate calls. The P/N is 56046097AD if you want... It's a 5 minute install.

I can't say enough about how pleased I've been with the Alpine unit. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

I went Pioneer AVIC 4100 NEX from Crutchfield...with the idatalink meastro keeping all my wheel controls. I can say that Apple Car Play is far superior to Android Auto. Not even in the same ballpark. I upgraded the speakers as well, going with Polk separates in the dash and the DB 651s in the sound bar.

Also, I ended up disabling the uconnect and only use the Pioneer bluetooth for calls. It was hard to make it interface correctly...that entailed running the supplied mic to the area between the DS roll bar pad and plastic pillar area. (Close to the factory mic) I'm also looking for a factory looking HDMI/USB plug for the connections.

Last edited by Wakinvol; 11-28-2015 at 04:41 AM. Reason: Error
Old 11-18-2015, 09:03 AM
JK Newbie

For the folks that did this - how did this impact the EVIC display? I have a 2012 and currently get turn by turn from my stock NAV unit. I am expecting to loose this with my future Pioneer NEX install - but see a short blurb about EVIC compatibility on both the PAC and IDATALINK sites. Just not sure what the integration actually means..

Thank you!

Alex

Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay receivers - suggestions/comments?