Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Auxillary Light Switch Question

Old 09-17-2014, 09:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auxillary Light Switch Question

So, I have four aux lights switches on my pillar. Just changed them out from a 3 pin on/off switch to a five pin on/off switch. One of the pins is for:

"Connect #6 to your dash light circuit or ignition to be on when your dash lights are on or when you turn on the engine (lower light)."

Question: Where exactly can do I connect these to? As you can see in the picture, the words on not light up.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think for that you can tap into the fuse box using a fuse tap so that the lights only work when the key is in ACC/ON position
Old 09-17-2014, 11:08 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Not sure what year your Jeep is, but maybe this fix will help ...

http://forum.aev-conversions.com/showthread.php?t=4149
Old 09-17-2014, 12:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Not sure what year your Jeep is, but maybe this fix will help ...

Installing backlit Contura switches on sPod - American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums
Thanks, Mark. It's a 2009 JK.

Great write up...I need to figure out if I can use that dimmable circuit. Not sure exactly where it is...somewhere behind the lower dash. I'll check it out tomorrow.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:12 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Chief_Airborne

Thanks, Mark. It's a 2009 JK.

Great write up...I need to figure out if I can use that dimmable circuit. Not sure exactly where it is...somewhere behind the lower dash. I'll check it out tomorrow.
Be sure to post back. I have yet to wire up my sPOD for this. ;-)
Old 09-17-2014, 01:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Be sure to post back. I have yet to wire up my sPOD for this. ;-)
Well, I don't have a sPOD, but I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From your description that sounds like the ACC switch and not the dimming circuit. One of the other prongs would be the dimmer.

You can run a fuse tap, or if you feel lazy, run a line from your cig. lighter.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:29 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Chief_Airborne
Well, I don't have a sPOD, but I'll let you know how it goes.
Understand. I'm looking for where to tap in for variable dash light power, if you find it. It's on my "gonna do someday" list, but if someone else figures it out, no need for me to spend time doing so again. A friend of mine with a '12 simply wired his sPOD dash lights into the wiring for the front driver marker light--but that's always on bright. Right now mine is wired through a switch on the sPOD, from which it gets power off the aux battery (dual-batteries' in my Jeep)--it's not ignition switched and it's not variable. I'd like variable since the sPOD lights are right up by the mirror and pretty darned distracting. And I need them on to read the O.P. gauge at night. And I'd like to rewire the existing sPOD lights switch to be an sPOD function switch--disable all sPOD switches unless that is turned on. This would prevent something silly like inadvertent actuation of the front locker while tooling down the Interstate at 75 MPH, LOL ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	sPOD Controller, Dec 13, 5_3106, Lighting (interior lights on).jpg
Views:	185
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	576073
Old 09-18-2014, 02:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, I figured it out...at least for me. I slept on it and woke up this morning remember that I had installed a power tap into my cig lighter that I wasn't using anymore. Duh! Works like a charm now.

Not sure how bright they are at night....I'm sure it won't be that bad.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

On my 2014 there are leds in the cupholders with the wiring connecting under the passenger seat so it would be easy to tap that. On the earlier models, one would have to find which wire on the connector for the instrument cluster, the radio, or the switch bar is for the lights. I'll be adding a switch for my winch solenoid this weekend and I'll see if I can find the one for the radio while I'm at it and post back here.

My sPod has the dual led switches but the lower led is activated by a push button on the spod itself. I may see if I can just replace the power to the pushbutton with a feed from my dash lights.

Last edited by 14Sport; 09-18-2014 at 03:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Auxillary Light Switch Question