Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

AVIC-8000NEX - Install Help Needed

Old 08-21-2014, 04:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It works fine, here's the product's description. Wouldn't it work similarly to the factory head unit? I suppose the module does the work in translating the fade/balance.

THE CHTO-03 INTERFACE IS FESIGNED TO ALLOW THE USER TO REPLACE THE OEM RADIO WITH AN AFTER MARKET UNIT IN SELECT AMPLIFIED 2009 CHRYSLE AND JEEP VEHICLES AND RETAIN THE USE OF THE OEM AMPLIFIED AUDIO SYSTEM. THE CHTO-03 WILL ALSO RETAIN THE RETAINED ACCESSORY POWER CONVENIENCE FEATURES IF THE VHICLE IS SO EQUIPPED IN ADDITION TO THESE FEATURES THE CHTO-03 NOW HAS THE REQUIRED OUTPUTS FOR THE INSTALLATION OF A NAVIGATION RADIO
Provides accessory (12 volt 10 amp)
Retains R.A.P.
Used in amplified systems
Provides NAV outputs (including mute)
Prewired ASWC harness included
Adjustable dial for overall volume
High level speaker input
USB updatable
Retains balance and fade
Old 08-21-2014, 07:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vpkb1998
It works fine, here's the product's description. Wouldn't it work similarly to the factory head unit? I suppose the module does the work in translating the fade/balance. THE CHTO-03 INTERFACE IS FESIGNED TO ALLOW THE USER TO REPLACE THE OEM RADIO WITH AN AFTER MARKET UNIT IN SELECT AMPLIFIED 2009 CHRYSLE AND JEEP VEHICLES AND RETAIN THE USE OF THE OEM AMPLIFIED AUDIO SYSTEM. THE CHTO-03 WILL ALSO RETAIN THE RETAINED ACCESSORY POWER CONVENIENCE FEATURES IF THE VHICLE IS SO EQUIPPED IN ADDITION TO THESE FEATURES THE CHTO-03 NOW HAS THE REQUIRED OUTPUTS FOR THE INSTALLATION OF A NAVIGATION RADIO Provides accessory (12 volt 10 amp) Retains R.A.P. Used in amplified systems Provides NAV outputs (including mute) Prewired ASWC harness included Adjustable dial for overall volume High level speaker input USB updatable Retains balance and fade
It's the same as all the others. It DOES allow you to retain the amp. It just doesn't allow you to fade front to rear when you keep the amp. Again, not a limitation of the part, it's a limitation of the ability to interface with the can bus controlled preamp section of the amp. Trust me. If you have an otherwise stock amplified system with regards to JUST changing the head unit, then you do NOT have the ability to fade front to back. And with the case of Bluetooth audio working and hands free phone not, it IS because the rear outputs from the radio are driving both FRONT AND REAR speakers through the use of the integration part. Only way around it is to use the rear outputs to drive the amp input AND thre rear speakers directly. And wire the front mids and tweeters directly to the new radio.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:10 PM
JK Newbie

I don't mean to argue but I need to correct you. I can fade back to front and vice versa, and bluethtooth/hands-free are working without any head unit settings adjustment. I wired the Metra harness as instructed, front to front and rear to rear.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vpkb1998
I don't mean to argue but I need to correct you. I can fade back to front and vice versa, and bluethtooth/hands-free are working without any head unit settings adjustment. I wired the Metra harness as instructed, front to front and rear to rear.
I am so sorry. You are correct sir. I looked up the instruction PDF last night.

I will try messing with one of the NEX 8000 radios when I get to the shop to see if I can find an issue similar to yours.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1581591716.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	572450
Old 08-22-2014, 05:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Collyn
You are using the radio with a "premium sound" System integration harness. The harness has front speaker inputs, but they do not work. You are hearing what is being sent to the factory amp and speakers through the rear speaker wires on the harness. And since the pioneer sends phone conversations to the front speakers, you get no audio. In Bluetooth audio mode it sends sound to front and rear. So you are hearing the rear audio through the front AND rear speakers Don't want to sound like a jerk, but it is in the instructions. Sometimes it isn't as simple as matching wire color to wire color. And with all premium(as in amplified) Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep systems, the rear outputs of the radio are used as a signal to the amp and the canbus system controls fade, balance, bass, mid, treble, etc.

So. Basically you should wire the front pioneer wires to the rear harness wires. And deal with the fact that you will not have a fader.
Thanks for this. I should've written back sooner. Being the idiot that I am, I never fully read the PAC instructions. Did exactly what you said and presto, works like a charm. Thank you for your help and a big thanks to the community at large.

Quick Reply: AVIC-8000NEX - Install Help Needed