Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Backup Camera

Old 09-04-2012, 02:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backup Camera

I thought I'd post this again in case it can help anyone looking for a backup camera. I have a 2012 JK with the touch screen in it. I had the Jeep dealership order the backup camera for a Grand Cherokee and they installed it for me. It works perfect!! Thats my tire in the top of the image.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0028.jpg
Views:	18420
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	362173Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0034.jpg
Views:	6142
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	362174

Last edited by dave7200; 09-07-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:51 PM
JK Newbie

Default back up camera

Dave, thanks for the tip. I have a 2 day old 2013 JK Unlimited Rubicon, and it is at 4WheelParts getting some upgrades as we speak. I have been looking at all the blogs regarding bu cameras and I'm determined to get something as soon as possible, because, quite frankly, it is both a safety need and a useful tool for any fun use. I'd also like to have a low front camera, but my priority is the backup camera. In the recent blogs, for those of us who have OEM 430's or 720 Jeep Sat/Nav systems, the blogs favor using the LockPick or Nav-TV systems. For those, they offer many benefits such as being able to view camera or enter nav destinations while in motion. Anyway, if the basic solution of getting a Jeep bu camera and having it installed by the dealer is an option, I'd be very interested to do that. Can you give us an idea what that cost and any information about what they said was required?

PS, my first post. . .
Old 09-30-2012, 01:59 PM
PGT
JK Enthusiast

How did they mount it? The GC camera is bolted into the rear bezel, not a flush mount design (I have the same one).
Old 09-30-2012, 02:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Dave7200, which stereo do you have in your jeep, 430N or 720

thanks.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think its the 430! How can I find out what it is?

Dave
Old 10-04-2012, 07:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by choover
Dave, thanks for the tip. I have a 2 day old 2013 JK Unlimited Rubicon, and it is at 4WheelParts getting some upgrades as we speak. I have been looking at all the blogs regarding bu cameras and I'm determined to get something as soon as possible, because, quite frankly, it is both a safety need and a useful tool for any fun use. I'd also like to have a low front camera, but my priority is the backup camera. In the recent blogs, for those of us who have OEM 430's or 720 Jeep Sat/Nav systems, the blogs favor using the LockPick or Nav-TV systems. For those, they offer many benefits such as being able to view camera or enter nav destinations while in motion. Anyway, if the basic solution of getting a Jeep bu camera and having it installed by the dealer is an option, I'd be very interested to do that. Can you give us an idea what that cost and any information about what they said was required?

PS, my first post. . .
First off welcome to the form, and I'm sorry I have been very busy and not on the form. The price of the camera and wiring harness was 150.00. They ordered it for a Jeep Cherokee. They charged me another 150.00 for installing it. I know its high but at least I didn’t have to take the dash apart in order to wire it up. I don’t like wiring anything plus now I know it’s under warranty since the dealer did it. Feel free to ask any other questions.

Dave
Old 10-08-2012, 11:52 AM
JK Newbie

I live in South Florida and purchased my MW3 Unlimited from Hollywood Jeep. I asked them about purchasing the backup camera from them and having them activate the feature. They said no and gave a song and dance about why they don't do it. Does anyone know of a dealership in the South Florida area, that being in Palm Beach, Broward, or Dade counties, that would be willing to allow me to purchase the backup camera for the Commander or Grand Cherokee, and then activating the feature in my Jeep.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:39 PM
JK Newbie

We just purchased a new JKUS last week and would love to add a backup camera to it. My dealer said they didn't show a listing for the wranglers, but I never even thought of asking the price of the kits for other vehicles.
Is the option of going with the other two options a risk of voiding the warranty?

Cheers
Old 10-15-2012, 02:40 PM
JK Newbie

So I just picked up my 430N RHB from the dealership and waiting on U-connect module right now. I am wanting to add a back up camera as well and know that the dealer needs to flash the radio and the u-connect module. Dave7200do you what is the camera cherokee part number ?? Also Dave7200 or anyone know what is involved in adding a camera to stock HU? Can I use non stock CMOS or would that mean getting lockpick?
Old 11-28-2012, 01:44 PM
JK Newbie

Default 2013 JK with MyGIG Lockpick V5 and 730N

Brief install: Using Crimestopper SV6704 camera and mounted in spare tire centercap.

Wires connect inside of spare tire carrier and run in through factory grommet in rear door. Need to remove both plastic panels on inside of door to snake alongside factory wires to inside of vehicle. I ran the wires behind the sub (2 Torx to loosen and slide under the enclosure. I then ran it up under the carpet in the center of the vehicle and under passenger seat. Followed directions in K6861157.PDF for how to take dash apart. Lockpick plugs into existing harness and crimp on connectors for rear camera ground and reverse power. Video is RCA jack. I soldered connections from camera to wires running through jeep to behind radio. I used electrical tape over the RCA jacks to keep them snugged. The camera cam with the bit to drill the hole in the centercap. Easy work.

Camera centered in plastic cap.

After the door panel snapped back on. I wrapped the wires in wire coil plastic for protection then pulled them up into the cutout on the enclosure before snugging down the Torx bolts in the floor.

Rear camera works fine.

Quick Reply: Backup Camera