Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Base radio swap

Old 04-28-2015, 05:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Base radio swap

I just got a bone stock 2015 2 door, has the base radio...no Bluetooth and no Sirius. Have read some threads and know I can swap in a jeep radio that has those features but wanted to get some advice on what extras, harnesses or connectors I may need. I know I need the security code to make sure it will work in my jeep but what else. Trying to get an idea of my total costs. Thanks

I posted this in the stock page and then realized I should have posted it here.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Base Radio Swap Idea

Not sure where you're looking to buy from but I have bought several radios from Crutchfield. Same price as anywhere else. The good part, you will get the wiring harness and mountig hardware free, well relatively free. But they can be a great help in deciding on a head unit. You can compare units yourself and sort by desired features....just my $0.02
Old 04-29-2015, 04:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look on eBay for high speed CANBUS radios. You will find a lot of options with new, factory reconditioned and used.
For some good reading try Jeep Grand Cherokee WK - MyGIG Multimedia Infotainment System radios. They may cover your model year and show you which models are compatible from different vehicles.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Millerca2
I just got a bone stock 2015 2 door, has the base radio...no Bluetooth and no Sirius. Have read some threads and know I can swap in a jeep radio that has those features but wanted to get some advice on what extras, harnesses or connectors I may need. I know I need the security code to make sure it will work in my jeep but what else. Trying to get an idea of my total costs. Thanks I posted this in the stock page and then realized I should have posted it here.
From an audio perspective you are sitting in an excellent position. You can go with an aftermarket stereo without feeling bad that you spent a bunch of money on a premium system that isn't so premium only to rip it all out.

If you go Jeep swap audio route you will probably be looking for one of their touch screen radios that can cost you over $450 used, but you will likely need to add a Uconnect module for another $150, a wiring harness with microphone and satellite antenna for another $100-200. Plus have the dealer flash the system for another $75-150.

For that kind of money you can start with an aftermarket touch screen that has all those features built in, is easier to use, sounds hella better and provides additional features the Jeep radios do not have. There are a couple touch screens that literally were designed to look like stock: Raxiom and Rosen (same unit different name). I'd also look at the Pioneer 4100NEX (best value IMO) if you have an iPhone or Android or anything else in the Pioneer line, Kenwood or Alpine. Once you have your head unit you can add amps, speakers, subs down the line and still have a stealth install that looks like stock but sounds 1000 times better.

If you choose to replace speakers go to a car audio store and listen to what sounds best to you. You can ask opinions on here but don't buy anything unless you hear it first. Many people will recommend what they have in their Jeep and many never took the time to go listen to anything else, they just bought on-line.

For amps, choose something compact that matches up with you speakers power requirement. There is room under the dash for your amp(s).

Keep Asking questions and Have fun with the process.

Quick Reply: Base radio swap