Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Battery options??

Old 11-18-2014, 07:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optima - NO!!!

Optima - NO; Sears Platinum or Odyssey - YES! The ONLY time I've ever had to use my SPOT (Satellite Emergency Notification Device) when overlanding alone was due to my purchasing a brand new Optima battery. My Optima was one month old - then "poof," it shorted out in a VERY remote location in California; Saline Valley. At that time I did not have my off-road trailer with me, so no second/backup battery. My bad; but who would have thought that a brand new battery would completely die. And I mean completely. Thank you John Miller Towing out of Lone Pine for coming and giving me a $700 jump start (and thanks to my wife for calling Miller's Towing when she got my "help" message via my SPOT.) There are sorry tales of Optima all over if you look. Optima's ARE made in Mexico, NOT the USA. When they moved their plant, that is when the decline in quality began. If you visit the infernal reaches of the backcountry, Optima is NOT for you.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

X2 on the odyssey

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 11-18-2014, 09:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you search the Odyssey and the Sears DieHard Platinum you will find they have the same specs. Some say the DieHard platinum is a rebranded Odyssey, however the fact of the matter is, both these battery's are manufactured by EnerSys Corp. The Diehard is less expensive and has a better warranty.
Years ago the Optima line were great batteries, The company pioneered the spiral technology. The company was bought out by Johnson Controls and as I recall right around 2009, closed the plant in Aurora Colorado and moved the works to Mexico. Shortly after that many people on many forums posted problems with the Optima's. My first Optima back in 1996 lasted 8 years, the second purchased in 2004 was still in my XJ when I sold it in 2012. I have since moved to the Sears Diehard Platinum bought in 2008 for the wife's 07JKU purchased in Oct 06. It is still going strong.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:54 AM
JK Junkie

Thanks, I've decided on the Diehard.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

X2 on the Diehard.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:34 AM
JK Junkie

Right now until Nov 30th, Odyssey has a special going on for their batteries. Enter SEMA2014 code on your check out and get 20% off with free shipping, no core. I saved about $50 bucks on what the Diehard would have cost. The Platinum does not offer a 34R where Odyssey does, along with a 48-730.

Quick Reply: Battery options??