Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Best on-board air system?

Old 09-12-2014, 10:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best on-board air system?

Can anyone recommend a good on-board air compressor for around $100 or less? I am looking at the Q Industries MV50 SuperFlow for around $60 shipped.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would not say there is a "best" compressor so to speak, but you do definitely get what you pay for. That being said, the compressor you mentioned will work fine if you want to spend 10 minutes airing up all four tires. Make sure you read the reviews and see how often it broke down on other buyers. With cheaper compressors comes cheaper quality making them break down much faster. Good luck to you.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

What size tire do you plan on airing up and how long do you expect it to take? For a viair 400p $250 to air up a 35" tire it takes 2:20 minutes to do 15 to 30 psi so a smaller air compressor could take 4 times that amount and probably die half way through.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:27 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dahmer
What size tire do you plan on airing up and how long do you expect it to take? For a viair 400p $250 to air up a 35" tire it takes 2:20 minutes to do 15 to 30 psi so a smaller air compressor could take 4 times that amount and probably die half way through.
Thank you both. I'm limited to about the hundred dollar range. I'm running 35s. Time isn't so much of an issue but I don't want to overwork the equipment. I want to be able to switch between highway and back country easily and right now I don't have a way to do that and I've been getting down to 15 psi in some cases and then having to do fifty or more on road miles before finding a station to air up at.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just to be safe I'd buy a compressor with overload protection (if they don't have a 100% duty cycle).
My Viair 400 only has a 33% duty cycle, but it has an overload protection. That way I won't have to worry about overheating.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by crusaderJK
Just to be safe I'd buy a compressor with overload protection (if they don't have a 100% duty cycle). My Viair 400 only has a 33% duty cycle, but it has an overload protection. That way I won't have to worry about overheating.
Thank you. I'm doing some more reading and looking. Hate budgets!!

Quick Reply: Best on-board air system?