Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Compass & iPhone

Old 07-05-2010, 03:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compass & iPhone

I just odered a Daystar dash panel. Wanted a place to put my iPhone. However, I have since read that putting my cell in the panel will cause the compass to read incorrect since its mounted to the bottom of the Daystar panel. Anyone had this problem?
Old 07-05-2010, 04:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

yeah, it does happen. If I put mine in the flat area closest to the windshield the factory compass seems to work fine. If I really need a compass I can just fire up the compass app on the iPhone

Most of the time I am using skobbler on the iPhone for navigation anyways
Old 07-05-2010, 05:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks zacjackson.......too bad. Order Canceled. I just spoke with a buddy and he has the same problem.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

must be an Ipod only thing. I have a blackberry storm with a garmin program on it. I've never seen it screw up my compass. I also keep it in the slot closest to the windshield.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKPhoto
Thanks zacjackson.......too bad. Order Canceled. I just spoke with a buddy and he has the same problem.
Hum! Good to know, I'll check it out since I've installed my Daystar dash panel yesterday!

Could it permanently affect the compass after a while?
Old 07-08-2010, 08:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Seriously!? you cancelled your order over that? My Blackberry Storm has the same affect on it. When it's in the front cubby, the compass always reads NE. But come on, do you actually use that compass? Who's driving down the road going, "Oh, no, I'm on 95 South, but the compass says SW, I need to stop and check my map!!"??
Old 07-08-2010, 09:45 AM
JK Super Freak

The back part of the panel is the best place for the cell phone. Haven't noticed with my iPhone, but the compass would mess up with my old Palm Treo.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:47 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKPhoto
wow u cancelled a great mod!! oh well.. all i do is move my droid if i want to use compass...
and actually i keep it in the spot closest to windshield as others do. works absolutely fine.

Quick Reply: Compass & iPhone