Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

The BEST current entertainment system to replace mygig?

Old 07-05-2010, 06:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question The BEST current entertainment system to replace mygig?

Hey all

Im no audiophile but I know the mygig has issues... So im thinking about replacing it.

Here are the things that are important to me:

- Easy integration with Iphone 4.0 and Ipods with straight forward direct control of them via simple menu's (i find mygig sometimes annoying with all the menu digging). Also, want it to work with the iphone via bluetooth, external mic and speakers etc.

- Excellent sound quality though im not a major audiophile. I want to be able to play everything loud but it have no distortion. I actually dont think the mygig is a bad system but the speakers in rear seem to be underpowered or muffled.

- Excellent GPS that can be updated. As you know, the mygig one cost a fortune to update even when you get very little with the update.

- screen at least as large as the mygig if not a little bigger.

- Need to be able to use backup and front rock cameras.

- Want to use sirius sat.

Im interested in hearing all opinions !

thanks all!
Old 07-05-2010, 07:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The features you listed are pretty standard on most H/Us on the market these days.

Garmin and Magellan have teamed up with variouos manufacturers. Updates for H/U Nav systems is about the same as updating dash top models.

You may have to verify iPhone version compatibility with a specific H/U. SOme that have been on the market might not be compatible without a driver update.

Do you have a brand preference? You want to replace the H/U only or the whole system? How much are you willing to spend?
Old 07-05-2010, 07:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Alpine IVA-900

greatest nav imaginable built in. but as stated before everything you said is pretty standard but alpine does have the best standard sound processor on the market at the moment
Old 07-05-2010, 07:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

hey dude, thanks for the reply.

I have no brand requirements, just want quality. I assume ill have to replace the whole system as I doubt the JK rubi speakers etc would do well with anything higher quality... tho i dont know since I am not knowledgeable in audio stuff.

As for $$, I just dont know what the range is for quality. If i had to through out a number id say 3-5K.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$3k - $5k should put together a workable system.

H/U: I have Kenwood. iPod, Bluetooth, NAV (Not used), Sirius (Not used), USB, supports all formats of DVD/CD, Dual zone, Video inputs. It only has a few buttons on the front so most of the face is a touchscreen. $700

Amp: The venerable Alpine PDX-5. Compact, powerful and cool running. $400.

Speakers: Kenwood. Wide frequency response and are rated for more power than the Alpine can deliver. $200/pair = $400 total.

That is $1500 so far. Even with interconnects and extras you may want to add this could come in under $2000. Your mileage may vary. These prices are over a year old.

Start with the H/U. Find one you will like. Go to a local shop and push some buttons on a few and find a style or brand that you like. Even if the shop doesn't have one on display will all of your desired features there are probably similar units from the same manufacturer with the features you desire.

Speakers and amp are secondary and can be chosen after the H/U. Look around your JK for amp mounting locations. Amp location will also directly affect the price of interconnects.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:54 PM
JK Newbie

Default Pioneer AVIC Z120 BT

I am in a similar situation. Not happy with the sound of the MYGIG system and ready to make the jump to aftermarket. After doing some research, I would have to go with the Pioneer mentioned above or the Alpine (WA 900 BT). It is very iphone friendly. Has voice recognition for nav and phone (like uconnect). DVD and navigation, sirius, and at least one camera possibility. The size of the screen is the clincher though. No buttons along the side of the unit to take up valuable screen space. When I take the plunge and change my own system I don't want to have to sacrifice any of the features I have become used to with mygig (uconnect, nav, dvd, hard drive or ipod, back up camera, sirius). This unit seems to come pretty close to exactly what I need: all the mygig features (except hard drive) and a better, cleaner, sound (most importantly). Just my opinion.......
Old 07-07-2010, 09:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Seems like a good setup

The one thing i keep missing is sirius.. cant imagine that is hard to get added tho.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

my uncle got one of the last model that Pioneer just got out it was over 1000 to much for me but is bad ass better that most other system i have play around with
Old 07-07-2010, 09:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yah i hear yah

the Pioneer AVIC Z120 BT is pricing out around $1600 before tax or install. PRICEY but you get what you pay for i suppose.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mmacJK
Hey all

Im no audiophile but I know the mygig has issues... So im thinking about replacing it.

Here are the things that are important to me:

- Easy integration with Iphone 4.0 and Ipods with straight forward direct control of them via simple menu's (i find mygig sometimes annoying with all the menu digging). Also, want it to work with the iphone via bluetooth, external mic and speakers etc.

- Excellent sound quality though im not a major audiophile. I want to be able to play everything loud but it have no distortion. I actually dont think the mygig is a bad system but the speakers in rear seem to be underpowered or muffled.

- Excellent GPS that can be updated. As you know, the mygig one cost a fortune to update even when you get very little with the update.

- screen at least as large as the mygig if not a little bigger.

- Need to be able to use backup and front rock cameras.

- Want to use sirius sat.

Im interested in hearing all opinions !

thanks all!
SING OUT LOUD DUDE AND PUNT WITH THE REST:rotflma o2:

Quick Reply: The BEST current entertainment system to replace mygig?