Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

which is better? 2 10inch subs or one 12inch sub?

Old 07-23-2012, 05:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bushpilot

all it takes is TIME...and my point here is anyone can do it.
the system (sub / box) doesnt have to be huge to be SOLID.

even on the high end i have NO Rattles but it take work - no corner cutting.
you cut corners, save a little time and have SHIT for sound or electrical issues later.

the jeep doesnt have as much room - im planning out my system now and may use an alpine pdx-v9
for its size and power - 5 channels, 4x100w & 1x500w rms at a claimed (yet suspicious) 0.05% THD

i dont believe in an open jeep anything less than 50 or 75w per channel will be enough...i drive six channels (all 2 way separates) in my f350 crewcab w/ 75w per channel (rms) and its CLEAN & CRISPS, i want as good a sound (even at low volume levels) in the jeep (a significant challenge).
Yea cutting corners does nothing in terms of quality... I had my JL's in my civic located I'm my trunk with the amp located between the box and the back seat... And for my speakers inside I had the amp located under my driver side seat... NO WIRES were ever visible and my Bass control was located left of the steering wheel very low key... As for my jeep because I drive a lot with out the top or doors I'm not getting the subs BUT I would like to replace my stock speakers with something with a little more power BUT I don't want to change my radio head
Old 07-23-2012, 05:36 AM
JK Newbie

I have (2) 10" Kicker CVR subs in a box with a Kicker KX400.1 Amp in my 2007 JK and it sounds great! I am actually selling all of this though because it takes up more room than I want and it leaves me very little room to haul other stuff. I am likely going to (1) 10" sub in a small box. But to answer your question, 2-10's sound amazing!
Old 06-26-2013, 04:06 PM
JK Newbie

Default questions

I have a question of my own umm so i have a 10" kicker l5 with a ported factory kicker box its on 1100 watt amp im woundering if a 10" rockford fosgate t1 would hit harder than the kicker would
Old 06-27-2013, 01:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here's a good chart of cone area reference. I've got two skar audio 8in subs in 600w each ported right now but I'm waiting on a custom built 12 right now that I may run sealed. . Haven't decided yet. But it well get 1200w daily use.
http://www.caraudio.com/forums/gener...ion-chart.html

Sent while watching chicks get naked.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:42 AM
JK-Forum Editor

Default Front Page News!

Great thread. Thought the front page crowd would enjoy it too...
Which Subwoofer Is Right for Jeep? - JK-Forum
Old 09-01-2015, 03:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with two 10s over a single 12 for a couple reasons. A 12" won't fit under the front seats and two 10s give me 157 sq inches of "woofage" vs 113 sq inches with a single 12".

I will say that if the seat brackets were one inch wider and a little deeper, I would have gone with two 12" woofers but it would have been really tough to get one cubic foot under each seat.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:48 AM
JK Newbie

Default This is how I installed...2~15" L7s With Secured enclosure

I wanted to use the L7 set up but the box was too big, so I cut it up, and installed into the rear Cargo section of the jeep, plus made it a secured enclosure.
These are Solo Baric.
I see quite a few write ups showing the use of Particle Board or Press Board...
That stuff is going to draw in moisture and then the glue pressed together with wood is going to start crumbling...
I used a 3/4" Pressure treated Plywood, it doesn't look anything like some of those guys...

I will add some pics I am doing like the first one but a bit different.
I rotated the side rail down instead of up so I dont have any edge and it can not be accessed from the top side at all.
I am attaching to side of Ply wood to attach to rails.

I also am installing 2 L7 15" Square Subs...lol
In the forward facing board behind the seat...solves two problems at once plus looks great.
I was able to grab my Hardware for 24 bucks Rails.
and then 19 for indoor outdoor carpet Grey only dark color they had a lowes.
Then some screws and bolts total out door with adhesive spray 13 bucks i was at 88 bucks.

I will update in a few hours...

I will have to say this is not a single day project, unless you are excellent at woodworking.
I had to measure three or four times and keep hacking away at it section by section...making very small mods at a time...
I now have Stained the wood facing forward and carpeted the rear side. I have completed the forward top deck board with cut outs for the Seat belt re-coilers.
I am now letting the glue cure on the rear section carpet, then in am I can start to bolt top section to front section then anchor to body across bottom.

Then attach sides to wood then to body and work my way back.

Once I complete the securing part of all decking I will then install the amp mounted upside down to front inside top section. Then wire Speakers.

Ok I have completed my install and it was two full days...

2 L7 15" Square Subs installed with Kicker Amp.
Stained and clear coated with Polyurethane...
I added a couple of brackets across seam and 1/4 out from center to make front board and rear board stay level with each other...
I screwed the Plywood sideways to brace support. Then worked it down to tighten up the Torque Bolts I used in the hardtop mount location, mine can be run with hard top or soft top.
I used 13 dollar a spray can of Adhesive 3M spray to secure carpet to wood.
Wired up amp using an empty slot on SPOD for remote of sub amp... which also has min power shut off to ensure start...
If I want to remove a panel I may as well remove since it is in permanently....mounted...
Touched up Paint on rails everything is now complete...
Wow I can make them soft to compliment or turn it up and rattle the hair on your head, surprisingly I only have one slight rattle on the rear gate and its really not too bad at all...inside you can not even hear it...Out side its not bad just a light rattle when a certain freq is hit.

I love it...
so 30" Square with complete enclosure used as sub box.
Plus I now have a locked enclosure with still retaining a lot of room, for the amount of space and the fact Im leaving it in all the time, I am very happy with the outcome and see the trade off as an improvement with Gains instead of loss...

Had 8" had Twin 12's and trust me there is no comparison to 2-15s...lol
Amp is 2400 watt Kicker.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1086.jpg
Views:	1134
Size:	2.31 MB
ID:	637661   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1083.jpg
Views:	824
Size:	2.81 MB
ID:	637662   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1078.jpg
Views:	595
Size:	2.78 MB
ID:	637663   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1077.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	637664   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1076.jpg
Views:	610
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	637665  

Last edited by Markwhite; 02-14-2016 at 07:51 AM.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:32 PM
JK Newbie

I'm with M
ark 2 10's under the front seat with focal front sound stage amps under rear seat I have not lost and room but the sound is incredible.

Quick Reply: which is better? 2 10inch subs or one 12inch sub?