Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Blackout Headlights/Tailights

Old 11-10-2009, 06:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Blackout Headlights/Tailights

So my jeep is pretty stock right now due to lack of cash but i wanted to go for the ''all blacked out'' look right now until i can do more...how would i black out the headlights/taillights?
Old 11-10-2009, 06:35 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by DeJK21
So my jeep is pretty stock right now due to lack of cash but i wanted to go for the ''all blacked out'' look right now until i can do more...how would i black out the headlights/taillights?
I'm not being a wise guy, or anything, but, why would you do that to the already weak headlights? And the tail lights? Wouldn't that make you less visible from behind?
Old 11-10-2009, 07:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not sure about the headlights but don't waste your time with trying to DIY blackouts on your taillights....go for these instead.....

Old 11-11-2009, 12:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Are those the InProCarWear tail lights (didn't see them listed in your signature)? Do they come with built-in resistors? How does the weather proofing look like it'll hold up? I plan on getting these after i finish up a couple other things. I know the they are pricey, but if they are good quality....well, you get what you pay for, right?
Old 11-11-2009, 09:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Clownhunter69
Are those the InProCarWear tail lights (didn't see them listed in your signature)? Do they come with built-in resistors? How does the weather proofing look like it'll hold up? I plan on getting these after i finish up a couple other things. I know the they are pricey, but if they are good quality....well, you get what you pay for, right?
You are correct on the brand. Everything is sealed up inside of the housing and they are truly plug and play. Just pop your OEM bulbs out and insert the wedge piece from the LEDs into the appropriate connector where the old bulbs were. No splicing and they don't make your turn signals flash any faster or slower. I was told at SEMA that a 6" strip of the LEDs that these lights are made from would retail for about $120. Seems quality to me.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think those lights are a little pricey ($329) and uneccessary for a guy that doesn't have cash to spend on the Jeep. If I'm not mistaken, you got a sponsorship from In Pro Car?

Rather get a $6 can of VHT Nightshades and try to tint them yourself. If you wind up trying the tint and you don't like it, LED taillights will cost $335 instead of $329.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:44 PM
JK Newbie

Just use the VHT Niteshade spray on stuff. Take your time and clean them well before you start with some alcohol prep and spray on two or three light coats (no heavy coats). Start with two and see how they look. You can always add an third coat but you can't take a coat off. I did my son's tail lights and turn signals and they came out real good on his black JK. I didn't do the headlights as it would reduce the light output for night time visability, but you can try it and see.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nlgrav182
I think those lights are a little pricey ($329) and uneccessary for a guy that doesn't have cash to spend on the Jeep. If I'm not mistaken, you got a sponsorship from In Pro Car?

Rather get a $6 can of VHT Nightshades and try to tint them yourself. If you wind up trying the tint and you don't like it, LED taillights will cost $335 instead of $329.
What does sponsorship have to do with it? These LEDs are very high quality lights and just another option. There are also other brands out there that are less expensive like ones from Pilot.

I have used nite shades many times in the past and they look like crap if you don't prep them correctly and then use clear coat that's better than a walmart rattle can. They even fade with time and carwashes plus they are not street legal unless you have a DOT red refelctor showing. Add in the cost of a ticket from your local police and that $6 can gets you closer to the cost of LEDs.

4wd.com is a vendor on this forum and Bruised is the rep. Anyone interested in any brand of LED tail lights should go to him for a deal since I know they sell In Pro Car Wear, Pilot, ORO and many other brands.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DeJK21
You can either use vinyl tint (not recomended for textured lights like the tails and turn signals) Works well on headlights and side markers. Or you can do the spray stuff but it has to be followed by a good glossy clear. I personally like the vinyl because it comes off. If you mess up with the spray stuff you're pretty much screwed. The spray stuff goes on way too dark but you can put it in a paint gun with a clear to dilute it.

I have light smoked vinyl on the head lights (I actually like to see where I'm going) and dark smoked vinyl on the signals, side markers and LED tails.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:42 AM
JK Newbie

I have VHT'd many lights in my day, my own and lights for other people.

You're not screwed if you go to dark. Paint thinner takes it off

I agree with whats been posted so far, I wouldn't do the headlights. I thought about doing mine because I wanted that look, but they are soooooo weak. They have horrible light output already. I wouldn't make it any worse.

On the other hand I blacked all my marker lights and the my 3rd brake light.

Those LED one's are nice but super expensive. If you want to black it out VHT them and if you don't like it use some paint thinner and take it off.

Good luck and post pictures

Quick Reply: Blackout Headlights/Tailights