Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Buying Backup Lighting - help and suggestions please

Old 07-03-2015, 08:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying Backup Lighting - help and suggestions please

Hello,

I want to add some backup lights to my rear bumper area. My replacement LED tail lights just aren't bright enough for me to see properly at night, esp with the tinted windows. Other people can tell I'm in reverse, but I can't see behind me so well.

My thoughts are to add some of the 4 LED flood type lights to the bumper in an area where they aren't as likely to get knocked off, but I would prefer not to spend big bucks on it.

Does anyone have some LED light suggestions for the bumper or tire carried that you're happy with?

I was thinking something along these lines of the Pro Comp 2x2 Square LED Flood Lights as a pair. I don't know how many lumen these are or how bright, but they've got to be better than what I have now.

These are slightly less cost than the RIGID versions. I can place these at the far end of the bumpers where the tire carrier arm won't knock them off etc.

Thanks for your input before I pull the trigger on the July 4th weekend sales.

Also I'm interested in these products if you have opinions or experiences, thx in advance:

Poisen Spyder PSC17-04-112 License Plate Delete Plug

Rock Hard RFPRH4006

Smittybuilt S/B4430 Front License Plate Bracket

TeraFlex TER4808401 Mud Flaps

Old 07-03-2015, 09:56 AM
JK Newbie

Are you planing on running the backup lights hooked into current wiring or running a switch?

If your going to be wiring into current lighting id suggest getting some flush mount leds and stick them right into whatever bumper you run. If youre wiring them seperate go with anything you want. Im wiring in an extra set of a pillar floods as reverse lights to my spod and already have flush mounted leds on an angle mounted to my front bumper so i can see beside me as im backing up trails in the dark

Id suggest something like these since you wont have to worry about knocking them off
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-24W-CRE...-/111562773734

Get the flood version of course i was just in a hurry cause my boss walked in to see what i was up to haha

As to the rest i run the ps delete plug and rock hard license plate bracket since i kept ripping off the factory one on trails, couldnt be happier with them

Last edited by Stinkfoot; 07-03-2015 at 11:09 AM.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey thanks for all that information, affirmation! I'll prob go with the PS and Rock Hard products for the price.

I have about 4" on the far sides of the after market bumper where the tire carrier arm won't hit a small pair(s) of lights.

Yes, I plan to wire them in parallel off the existing tail light wiring as they are all LED and a lot lower pwr consumption, I see no need for an additional relay.

Those ebay lights may not really be 24w, might not be CREE and maybe not 6000k but at that price I can coat them in waterproofing and take my chances.

I can also afford to buy more of them for over-kill.

Maybe I can just mount them ON to the tire carrier arm or the 5th wheel and angle them out to anyways I want.

*gears turning*

Thanks so much!

Old 07-03-2015, 07:42 PM
JK Newbie

No problem happy to help. Any particular reason your looking at the front license plate bracket that mounts to tube?

Just wondering as i dont run a front plate and have a flip up license plate holder for aluminum fairlead gathering dust in my garage somewhere

Last edited by Stinkfoot; 07-03-2015 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

I put two Rigid SRM-2 diffused lens lights inside my spare and angled them down and slightly outward (I made a simple bracket out of angle iron). Great throw, good lighting for backing up and won't blind the shit out of people behind me (not too bad, anyway)

SR-M2 - Diffused Surface White Black | Rigid Industries
Old 07-04-2015, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

My rig has an ARB front bull bar bumper. I run a winch on a cradle and carry on front or back, so looking for a perm front solution.

For the back I have this TUFF STUFF JK ROCK CRAWLER REAR BUMPER & TIRE CARRIER

On the far left and right are places that look like I can mount some LED BU lights. Maybe another 1 or 2 up high in the wheel on the arm depending on cost or brightness.

Hey thanks for that link, those Rigid are nice looking lights!

Old 07-11-2015, 01:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had a set of these in my Amazon cart and they went on a lightening deal for an even $20, so I bought 2 pair. A pair for BU and a pair for front.

Nilight 2pcs 18w 1260lm Cree Flood Led Work Light Bar Off-road SUV Boat 4x4 Jeep Lamp 4wd

I'm going to disassemble and custom water proof.

The are pretty heavy for the size, very solid feel. I hooked on up to a 12v battery and that sucker is bright!

Probably need to wire them to a switch and use as needed for BU.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:58 PM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...ht-kit-289430/

I did this write-up a few years back. They still work like a charm!

Feel free to contact me any time of you have questions, we also offer forum member pricing on the kit! Have a nice weekend!
Old 07-11-2015, 08:59 PM
JK Newbie

I have Rigid D2's front and back. Flood and spot in front for long distance, diffused in back for closer range. Rigids are top quality, durable. They are just not the cheapest out there.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Similar to JonBoy post, above: Dually flood inside the spare, wired to a switch

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...e-tire-247343/

Quick Reply: Buying Backup Lighting - help and suggestions please