Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Bypassing Ignition key chip

Old 11-28-2009, 01:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bypassing Ignition key chip

anybody know where I can find instructions on how to bypass this?
the way I see it, its just a box with a chip to acknowledge the chips presence.
If it is all run through one harness, I should be able to jump harness points to make it think it was there.

i keep getting error codes for it, and cant afford to do anything with it.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not exactly sure where it is but there should be an antenna around the ignition maybe trace it back? The best person to ask would be someone who does aftermarket remote starters. They know exactly where it is to tuck a transponder key in. Hence why they ask you for a key when they put an aftermarket alarm/starter in.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:14 PM
JK Junkie

thanks.
I know where it is, im looking to disable the requirement for it.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

The requirement for it is in the computer. You would need to re-flash it, if that is even possible.
Come to think of it, being as your jeep was under water, that just may be a code you are seeing due the computer being 'fried' or it may have lost the programing for your transponder. Solution to the second possibility would be to have the dealer or a mobile locksmith hook up to the obd2 are reprogram the transponder.

Last edited by Sethc84; 11-28-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

It's my understanding that as an anti-theft measure, you can't defeat the WCM. If it's removed or replaced the Jeep will start for second and stop until the computer is reprogrammed to recognize the new WCM. In addition, each key will have to be reprogrammed.

If you think you'll end up replacing the computer, I'd install a new computer and WCM then tow the Jeep to the dealer and have it all programmed at once.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:03 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by txjeeplover
It's my understanding that as an anti-theft measure, you can't defeat the WCM. If it's removed or replaced the Jeep will start for second and stop until the computer is reprogrammed to recognize the new WCM. In addition, each key will have to be reprogrammed.

If you think you'll end up replacing the computer, I'd install a new computer and WCM then tow the Jeep to the dealer and have it all programmed at once.
ah.
no funds available for either of those parts.
maybe i can figure out something else.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

to reprogram a new key I just purchased (because I'm missing my second one) it only cost 35 bucks....but for fun, before I got the chipped keys programmed, after I got them cut I tried starting the Jeep with them, they will start the vehicle, it will then run for a few seconds before dying and flashing that red led on the dash....so if Tonka is still not even starting for a second, I don't think this is the problem
Old 11-28-2009, 03:28 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by BlackNorthernJK
to reprogram a new key I just purchased (because I'm missing my second one) it only cost 35 bucks....but for fun, before I got the chipped keys programmed, after I got them cut I tried starting the Jeep with them, they will start the vehicle, it will then run for a few seconds before dying and flashing that red led on the dash....so if Tonka is still not even starting for a second, I don't think this is the problem
thats exactly what its doing....starting for 1-3 seconds, then dying.
Red LED is upper right of fuel guage

did you tow it to the dealer?
Old 11-28-2009, 03:44 PM
JK Freak

sounds to me like you are on the right track either the trasponder broke or its on the computer end.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:47 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by mattymat04
sounds to me like you are on the right track either the trasponder broke or its on the computer end.
actually, the transponder fell apart, and I may have put it back together wrong.
Anyone have access to a diagram for it?

Quick Reply: Bypassing Ignition key chip