Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Changing front speakers in jk

Old 08-22-2014, 08:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing front speakers in jk

I have a 07 jk Sahara unlimited I was wondering if anyone has a write up on how to remove the front speakers into aftermarket ones. Thanks
Old 08-22-2014, 09:02 PM
JK Super Freak

I don't have a write up but it's super simple. One socket gets all the dash bolts and pod bolts(except the ones for the pods that attach under the dash,10mm). When you get the side panel off for the left speaker and everything is unbolted, you simply pull out the lower dash panel as far as it will go toward the seat. Pull the pod out towards the door.

The passenger side is even easier. Pull out the glove box, take the side panel off(just like on the left side), unbolt the pod, undo the 10mm connected to the pod under the dash and slide it toward the glove box. The trickiest part for me was the connections.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Just remember, you probably won't get much, if any "better" sound by just changing the speakers. While the pods are out, I would recommend doing whatever you can to stiffen them up. Ex. Dynamat, sound deadened, resin, etc. Also, throw some polyfil in there. The pods are small and most factory speakers are designed for a open door. Some speakers sound good sealed, some don't. Adding the polyfil will allow it to believe its in a bigger enclosure by slowing down the sound waves making the area behind the speaker seem like a larger acoustic environment. Of course, the rear section of the pod has so many angles so that doesn't help smooth out the waves or anything, but it will definitely improve the sound.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:20 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by bombout800
Just remember, you probably won't get much, if any "better" sound by just changing the speakers. ...
I experienced a dramatic improvement in sound when I swapped Kicker JK speakers up front in my '07 with RES head unit. Certainly not the quality some would insist on, but what it should have sounded like from the factory in the first place.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Boston Acoustics speakers make a meaningful improvement, even without stiffening or adding insulation.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I experienced a dramatic improvement in sound when I swapped Kicker JK speakers up front in my '07 with RES head unit. Certainly not the quality some would insist on, but what it should have sounded like from the factory in the first place.
It is personal preference. I guess my statement could be taken with a grain of salt by many, I swapped speakers to my factory amp and it sounded a lot better, but was really muddy and not clear. The front was always louder than the rear, and the rear sounded like my speakers were under water trying to get the sound out. If your happy with the improvement, that's all that really matters. A few small things can improve the sound drastically. Making sure there are zero air venting around the speakers, making sure the sound bar doesn't have air coming out around the dome light, etc. the pods and the sound bar give a hollow and weak midbass sound. It's because it's plastic that has a terrible resonate frequency. Unless it's stiff or severely reinforced it's going to give this sound.

Quick Reply: Changing front speakers in jk