Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Completed Steering Wheel Conversion - 2011 Jeep Steering Wheel Installed In 2008 JK

Old 04-11-2012, 02:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool. I have been looking off and on to do this myself. About the steering wheel controls, I'm 99% sure you could use them, IF you are willing to lose the MyGIG/stock HU. A PAC harness adapter would allow the factory switches to communicate with an aftermarket HU, but if I remember correctly, the voltage would have to be stepped down to 5 volts, which isn't too difficult to do. Anyways, nice install and thanks for sharing. You have me wanting to do this again.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DWBRubi
Very cool. I have been looking off and on to do this myself. About the steering wheel controls, I'm 99% sure you could use them, IF you are willing to lose the MyGIG/stock HU. A PAC harness adapter would allow the factory switches to communicate with an aftermarket HU, but if I remember correctly, the voltage would have to be stepped down to 5 volts, which isn't too difficult to do. Anyways, nice install and thanks for sharing. You have me wanting to do this again.
Thanks DWBRubi!
During my research, I learned that the obstacle to getting the controls to work on pre-2011 JKs is the JK’s TIPM. The steering wheel controls are actually four separate modules or controllers. The clockspring will allow the modules to connect to the JK’s network and the MyGig will accept input from the steering wheel controls, but the pre-2011 JK TIPM doesn’t acknowledge their presence on the network.

The PAC controller allows an aftermarket HU to mate with the JK’s TIPM so it can send and receive data on the JK’s network. The PAC communicates with the TIPM and not directly with other modules on the network. So this presents the same dilemma that the factory HU faces. If the TIPM isn’t communicating with a controller, then no other device on the JK’s network can communicate with that controller.

This is the same issue faced by those who have installed cruise, factory fog lights, factory remote start, or the electronic swaybar disconnect. The consumer can install the device, but the dealer has to activate the device via the TIPM so that it can acknowledge the input from the device on the network.
It’s akin to installing hardware to a PC without the drivers. If I had installed the wheel in a 2011 or later JK, then Chrysler would allow a dealer to flash my TIPM so that it could work with the controllers. Unfortunately, Chrysler will not allow this, so I’m stuck like Chuck.

I would love for someone to find a work-around or offer instructions on getting the pre-2011 TIPM to accept these controllers. I saved the 2011 wiring harness just in case someone does. However I just don't see it happening without changing the programming of the pre-2011 TIPM. And I'm fine with it now. I knew that going in and I still have all the oem functions of the wheel, plus I can enjoy the new retro design and feel.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:31 AM
JK Newbie

I've been sitting on my new steering wheel for a 2011 to replace my 2008 for a while now because of the radio controls issue...but did some long hard reading etc etc and on this website for all the connectors in a wrangler, it's found that the 2008 steering wheels have/ are setup for radio controls etc etc....take a look...http://dto.vftis.com/mopar/main
Old 04-27-2012, 10:37 AM
JK Newbie

Mopar Package #
68080563AA
MODULE-STEERING CONTROL C2 - NATURAL (INSTRUMENT PANEL) 6 WAY
Old 04-27-2012, 10:38 AM
JK Newbie

Cav circuit function
-
-
y13 20bk
radio control return
x3 20db
horn switch sense
v72 20pk
s/c signal 2
v71 20vt
s/c signal 1
v937 20yl
s/c switch ground
Old 04-27-2012, 11:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sircody
I've been sitting on my new steering wheel for a 2011 to replace my 2008 for a while now because of the radio controls issue...but did some long hard reading etc etc and on this website for all the connectors in a wrangler, it's found that the 2008 steering wheels have/ are setup for radio controls etc etc....take a look...http://dto.vftis.com/mopar/main
I couldn't get that link to work. However as I pointed out earlier, the problem is not with the clocksping, the wiring harness, the radio, nor the 2011 and later steering wheel controllers. I was able to connect the 2011 steering wheel wiring harness to my 2008 clockspring with no issues. As a matter of fact, the JK clockspring is the same for all year model JKs. The problem is that if you place them on the JK's network, a dealer will have to flash the PCM to recognize the controllers. Chrysler will not allow that to happen for pre-2011 JKs.

For example, if you purchase and install a Mopar remote start kit, fog light kit, or similar network controlled factory option; the dealer has to program the TIPM to recognize these new options that you've added. If that option was a factory option for that model year and represented in the sales code options for that model year JK, the dealer can get permission from Chrysler to activate the option. But steering wheel controls was not an available factory option for pre-2011 JKs and the dealer is unable to activate the option.

Barring a revision to the Chrysler policy, the only option we have would be for the maker of an aftermarket tuner to provide a tuner that has the option to activate steering wheel controls in pre-2011 JKs.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

BTW, it's the specific 2011 control pads that are not recognized by the TIPM when connected to the pre-2011 network. My 2008 JK had cruise from the factory, but the 2011 cruise controller was not recognized by the 2008 TIPM. I knew that it was a long shot for the radio controls to work but it was a bit of a surprise to see that the 2011 cruise control switch was not recognized by the 2008 TIPM.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:50 AM
JK Newbie

Default The Wrangler was never sold with Voice control or camera

But later mopar came out with those little BIG priced add ons to the MyGig to add on Bluetooth phone, voice control, By pushing a button on the extension etc etc etc....those add ons do what the steering wheel controls do except from another location. Think about it....no flashing or reprogramming to make it work that way....what's needed is to just get those signals to the Mygig period...I used the Axxess module just up til recently....The wireless unit straps to your wheel and sends signals to unit and straight to Mygig...........................................No CanBus involved..................
Originally Posted by txjeeplover
I couldn't get that link to work. However as I pointed out earlier, the problem is not with the clocksping, the wiring harness, the radio, nor the 2011 and later steering wheel controllers. I was able to connect the 2011 steering wheel wiring harness to my 2008 clockspring with no issues. As a matter of fact, the JK clockspring is the same for all year model JKs. The problem is that if you place them on the JK's network, a dealer will have to flash the PCM to recognize the controllers. Chrysler will not allow that to happen for pre-2011 JKs.

For example, if you purchase and install a Mopar remote start kit, fog light kit, or similar network controlled factory option; the dealer has to program the TIPM to recognize these new options that you've added. If that option was a factory option for that model year and represented in the sales code options for that model year JK, the dealer can get permission from Chrysler to activate the option. But steering wheel controls was not an available factory option for pre-2011 JKs and the dealer is unable to activate the option.

Barring a revision to the Chrysler policy, the only option we have would be for the maker of an aftermarket tuner to provide a tuner that has the option to activate steering wheel controls in pre-2011 JKs.

Last edited by sircody; 05-13-2012 at 06:52 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:07 AM
JK Newbie

Default Hey Sircody

I have a 2010 wrangler sahara and it has bluetooth and voice command feature for mygig nav unit... The thing that sucks is that i always have to push a button on the nav unit to get it working... It may not seem like a pain in the ass, but after a while its so bothersome i find that i tend not to use it. What part number did you use to get an aftermarket switch that works with the factory nav?

Also, so have we determined that there is NO WAY possible to get the steering wheel controls to work. I would really like the volume button to work!!!! I hate the little knob on the MyGig Nav unit, its so small, and if you hit a pot hole while your trying to adjust the volume it either gets crazy loud or too quiet!!!! :( Just annoying

I want to use the CHR550 LockPick with these controls!!!

Last edited by N152N; 07-14-2012 at 03:21 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, definitely an improvement, that old steering wheel was horrible.
The following users liked this post:
Ephry73 (05-10-2021)

Quick Reply: Completed Steering Wheel Conversion - 2011 Jeep Steering Wheel Installed In 2008 JK