Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Converting taillight to Euro Amber spec and side marker turn signal?

Old 02-02-2013, 10:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting taillight to Euro Amber spec and side marker turn signal?

Hey guys, I have a question, I've been told that since I'll be shipping my JK with me to Istanbul, Turkey when I'm going back, I need to find out how I can convert my rear taillight to European specs, I had a euro jeep wrangler 2.8 crd rubicon unlimited back there, and its taillights signaled orange, (it had 1 bulb for brake and 1 amber bulb for turn signal), So unlike the lazy cheap job US model JK's got(using a brake light as a turn signal...jesus talk about shitty way to save money), I want to convert my US spec tails to European specs taillights(The amber signaling ones) and I'd like to have my sidemarkers flash with my turn signals like they do in Euro wranglers, how can that be accomplished? Thanks again.

Also I want to convert EVERY bulb to LED, since I got Trucklite's , I don't want an incandescent bulb on my jeep, I got OCD
Old 02-13-2013, 01:38 PM
JK Newbie

The side marker flashing is easy, see here. The Euro requirement is that the side lights always flash in sync with the front and rear lights; the opposite-sync flashing permitted in America isn't allowed in Euro regs. The Euro-spec JK has different light units in this location, too. They stick out further from the side so they can be seen through the Euro-required angles for the side turn signal repeater function. You might get away with the US-spec side light units but you'd want to put in a brighter bulb (Osram X6W).

The rear light conversion is going to be harder. It used to be you could just install the applicable lens housings and easily separate the brake light/turn light functions by cutting the wire that runs from the brake light switch to the turn signal switch, then extending a new wire off the brake light switch to the back of the vehicle. Now that so many functions are controlled by the body computer, hard-wire solutions like that can cause problems if they're done the old-fashioned way. You will still have to add wires, but you may also have to have some adjustments made to the computer.

There are other mods you'll have to make for a US Wrangler to meet the European lighting code. The US headlamps don't comply (wrong beam pattern), the US parking lights don't comply (they're amber; Euro reg requires white but front turn signals still have to be amber -- Euro Jeeps get Euro-code headlamps with built-in white parking lights), and you have to have a red rear fog light, too.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scheinwerfermann
The side marker flashing is easy, see here. The Euro requirement is that the side lights always flash in sync with the front and rear lights; the opposite-sync flashing permitted in America isn't allowed in Euro regs. The Euro-spec JK has different light units in this location, too. They stick out further from the side so they can be seen through the Euro-required angles for the side turn signal repeater function. You might get away with the US-spec side light units but you'd want to put in a brighter bulb (Osram X6W).

The rear light conversion is going to be harder. It used to be you could just install the applicable lens housings and easily separate the brake light/turn light functions by cutting the wire that runs from the brake light switch to the turn signal switch, then extending a new wire off the brake light switch to the back of the vehicle. Now that so many functions are controlled by the body computer, hard-wire solutions like that can cause problems if they're done the old-fashioned way. You will still have to add wires, but you may also have to have some adjustments made to the computer.

There are other mods you'll have to make for a US Wrangler to meet the European lighting code. The US headlamps don't comply (wrong beam pattern), the US parking lights don't comply (they're amber; Euro reg requires white but front turn signals still have to be amber -- Euro Jeeps get Euro-code headlamps with built-in white parking lights), and you have to have a red rear fog light, too.

Thank you, but I can get away with the rest, Can a delaer in Turkey retrofit the euro spec taillights?
Old 04-20-2014, 07:40 AM
JK Newbie

Default What did you end up having to do?

I am going to Europe and am trying to get my stuff right before I get there. I have a 2012 Wrangler. Just wondering what you ended up doing.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Converting taillight to Euro Amber spec and side marker turn signal?