Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

A couple of lighting questions.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A couple of lighting questions.

I don't really need extra lighting since I doubt I will ever be off roading at night but I certainly like the appearance of extra lights. However the long dark winters in Canada plus the amount of driving I have to do on country roads extra lighting would be a bonus. On to the questions.

Do hood mounted light bars cause glare off of the hood?

If I mount 2 flood lights to my bullbar would I be able to wire them so they come on when i turn on my highbeams.

Is the A pillar a better location than the bullbar?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Extra lighting has been invaluable to me over this past winter, I drive a lot of non-lit country roads and use mine all the time. My lights have helped me spot incoming deer from places my regulars would not have seen, so they've paid for themselves four times over by preventing collisions with all kinds of animals.

To answer your questions, yes the A-pillar mounted lights light up your hood and cause glare. I have "driving" patterned lights up there and they light up my hood significantly, I tried spots and floods up there to the same effect (i'm 5'11 and have my seat back and reclined far enough I don't see the hood so it doesn't bother me).

I have another set of lights for front bumper mounting waiting for installation which would eliminate the hood shine problem, but I really like the look of the a-pillar mounted lights as well.

The bull bar would be a very effective place to put an extra set of lights, no hood shine, but much more prone to road debris damage and insect gut collecting. So for looks, a-pillar, for effective lighting, bull bar, for less damage a-pillar, for blinding on-coming traffic a-pillar, for blinding people in the same direction of travel, bull bar.

The pattern of your lights is also something to consider, pencil beams project far and narrow, floods are short and wide, fogs are low, wide and short and so on. I found the driving pattern from Warn to be the best of all worlds. And yes there are a couple write ups in here somewhere about setting up your lighting to your high beams.

I went with the wireless remote route offered by Warn and couldn't be happier. No wiring into the cab, easy to install the remote where ever you'd like (dbl side tape and velcro) or leave the remote out and a couple wires onto the battery terminals is all it takes.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 04-17-2014, 10:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have KC spots on my A pillar and there is minimum glare from the hood. The lights have a good, tight pattern. I have 2 sets of driving lights on my front bumper (plus 2 - 4" flood lights mounted on the sides in front of the mirrors. I've used all of them - spots and driving while driving on WY and MT highways at night to avoid animals (no traffic and I have one set of driving lights angled as ditch lights to see animals if they are in the ditch). And I been up in the mountains at night and they really help you see all around.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here's a picture of the lights.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140417_133517.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	546502
Old 04-17-2014, 04:44 PM
JK Newbie

I agree with Atlacatl I added some piaa lp570's to the A pilar about a month ago and now that spring is kinda here there are deer all over the highways here and I work till 3am. They have paid for themselves already by avoiding 3 collisions. I find the glare not bad on the hood. Extra lighting way worth it
Old 04-17-2014, 05:19 PM
JK Freak

I have rigid dually spots on my a-pillars There really isn't really much glare I can take a shot if you want.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:55 PM
JK Super Freak

If you only need extra lights for dark roads a possible solution might be changing the original headlights for better ones.

I replaced my OEMs for Trucklite LEDs newer models and it's a night-and-day difference.

If you tend to have fog get a couple of good lights and add them low in your bumper. For long range put pencil beams types higher. Or, just add extra driving lights.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:08 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Sahara_Maverick
If you only need extra lights for dark roads a possible solution might be changing the original headlights for better ones. I replaced my OEMs for Trucklite LEDs newer models and it's a night-and-day difference. If you tend to have fog get a couple of good lights and add them low in your bumper. For long range put pencil beams types higher. Or, just add extra driving lights.
thats what I did was the truck lites with rigid deal. Haven't had to use my spots yet except when playing around because the truck lites work so well. Never run my fogs anymore either
Old 04-18-2014, 06:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have spots on my A-pillar and while it lights up the hood I wouldn't call it glare or distracting. This said, I have my lights turned out towards the ditch lines for critter patrol.

I've been in Jeeps with better headlights and while it helps, even the best headlights don't do as good a job of lighting up the long range ditch lines like aftermarket spot lights will.

I live very rural so I use my "offroad" lights on road all the time. I have been pulled over and warned for not having covers on my lights. It is in the Ohio Revised Code that any light highter than the headlights must be covered. I honestly think the cop had nothing better to do and just wanted to check out my Jeep because I have passed him several other times and he just waved None-the-less this is something you should consider.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:18 PM
JK Freak

Here is a shot from the center of my jeep. No "glare" on the hood that distracts you.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1630081791.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	546797  

Quick Reply: A couple of lighting questions.